Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B343 - Primary/Secondary Education Reform Bill 2011 Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Are you talking about on TSR? If so, then would you be able to re-direct me to which Bill has stopped them please? If not, then I am slightly confused about what you mean.
    What I mean is that in real life education is devolved and in Scotland we don't have school league tables nor do we use the same year groupings as England.

ReputationRep:
    Making PE compulsory could be a way to tackle childhood obesity so I just don't agree with your first point.
    I'm not saying PE shouldn't be compulsory.

I'm saying that people shouldn't have to do a qualification in it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    What I mean is that in real life education is devolved and in Scotland we don't have school league tables nor do we use the same year groupings as England.
    Then we shall rectify that in accordance with devolution rules. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

(Original post by cambo211)
    I'm not saying PE shouldn't be compulsory.

I'm saying that i shouldn't have to do a qualification in it.
    The only problem is that many pupils may not see PE as important to their lives as academic subjects. This is an interesting point and I will have to mull it over.

ReputationRep:
    The only problem is that many pupils may not see PE as important to their lives as academic subjects. This is an interesting point and I will have to mull it over.
    It's not a point you shall convince me of.

It was compulsory in my school to do PE but GCSE PE was an option students could choose to take. That system worked fine.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Then we shall rectify that in accordance with devolution rules. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
    Devolution rules aren't actually in force yet in the MHoC so there's no need, and indeed I wasn't objecting to this bill on the basis that it ignores devolution... but were you seriously unaware that education is devolved and that we follow a different system in Scotland?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Devolution rules aren't actually in force yet in the MHoC so there's no need, and indeed I wasn't objecting to this bill on the basis that it ignores devolution... but were you seriously unaware that education is devolved and that we follow a different system in Scotland?
    No, I was aware that education in Scotland is devolved, but what I meant was that we may have to be more careful with some of our wording in the Bill to avoid that problem occurring.

ReputationRep:
    What changes do you think are necessary then? I am not meaning to sound aggressive, but I think you need to expand further on this point rather than just make a sweeping, unjustified statement.
    to be fair i agree i should really say more than it needs bigger changes :p:

we need to remove this standardized testing, and this view than you go along a factory line from years 0-11 and by the time your 16 your ready for the world, your educated, the same with the standardized curriculum the view one size fits all, i would want funding to be the more less the same across the board for all students, but for it to be massive

detentions i don't care about they were always easy to get away with at school anyway :p:

i don't agree that funding should be given on the base off a Ofsted mark, for those 3 day you can make a school look bad

nor do i see the point in teaching Classics or Classical Greek, or even finding teachers to teach it

also some form off PE should be compulsory, sport teaches you some very important life lessons

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...

I don't think this is going to get very far due to the vast amount of variation in opinion within the house, by that I mean; some people want certain things to be compulsory, some don't and due to this I don't think you can ever come up with something that will get much support.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I think that is something you will have to address to AfcWimbledon2. I am tempted to agree with you on this point somewhat.

100 marks perhaps due to percentages? The funding aspect, I have already stated, I disagree with. I think the yearly inspection ensures that the standard of education is consistently maintained at a high standard. I think that an inspection every 5 years is not sufficient enough to ensure than high educational standards are maintained.
    The converse argument is that yearly inspections will be excessively disruptive. Most of us know the efforts schools go to to fool the ofsted inspectors - I'm not sure that this happening every year is the way forward.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    x

Also, the course selected can easily be adapated to fit the person doing it, which allows people who like to do more sport to do certain units, and those who prefer understanding how to do it and how it works to do different units.

(Original post by DayneD89)
    x
    There shouldn't be a need. Schools tend to put in the prospectuses how the detention system works, and so they could simply put. "We are able to detain students without phoning parents for 40 minutes after school concludes for the day, if you are worried about your child when they have been detained, then please contact the school."

If you make parents know - oh they could be 40 minutes late - then they will understand if they are, and it is not a schools responsibility to care about a parents plans. That child has done something against the rules of the school, and they should be punished appropriately, if the parent who should also be encouraging the child to follow the rules, has plans. Then tough.

(Original post by The Next Left)
    x
    Alot of subjects are compulsory at KS2 already, this includes a MFL. I think it works out that we've cut some subjects out.

At KS2 the following subjects are Compulsory:

English/Welsh/Gaelic
    Maths
    ICT
    Science
    MFLs
    Physical Education
    Geography
    History
    Religious Studies
    Music
    Games
    Design and Technology

This gets cut at KS3 to the following:
    English/Welsh/Gaelic
    Maths
    ICT
    Science
    MFLs
    Physical Education

with the KS2 ones that got cut - they have to be part of the options available to choose.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
    There shouldn't be a need. Schools tend to put in the prospectuses how the detention system works, and so they could simply put. "We are able to detain students without phoning parents for 40 minutes after school concludes for the day, if you are worried about your child when they have been detained, then please contact the school."

If you make parents know - oh they could be 40 minutes late - then they will understand if they are, and it is not a schools responsibility to care about a parents plans. That child has done something against the rules of the school, and they should be punished appropriately, if the parent who should also be encouraging the child to follow the rules, has plans. Then tough.
    If standard travel arangements are made for after school not telling parents is a big problem. Many students get picked up from school by their parents, who would be annoyed at having to wait an extra 40 min when it would have been very easy to contact them and tell them. There are also many who get a school bus, who would then miss their bus and have to either walk or try and get in contact with their parents themselves in order to get home. When I was at school I didn't have a mobile (and when I did it rarely had credit) and I got a school bus. I lived to far away to walk (in fact me walking home would have been very dangerous). As such if I'd been detained without my parents knowing I would have either had to find someone with a phone I could use or I would be stuck at school. This isn't fair on students or parents and seems utterly pointless when you can simply let parents know, avoiding all these problems.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Dayne makes a good point. Another example pertains to young carers et al; some children have responsibilities beyond the normal set - these range from picking up and minding younger siblings after school through to playing an integral role in ensuring the welbeing of their parents. Giving parents warning about such things in advance is the only responsible thing to do, and actually Simon (in response to "it is not a schools responsibility to care about a parents plans") no, but it is there job to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the child and there are various implications of such,frankly pointless, policies. The school is not there to antagonise pupils and their families with draconian punishments alongside misplaced implication procedures and I don't intend to make that their role.

I assume that this bill will now be completely overhauled and re-submitted complete with something in the way of justification for each part....

ReputationRep:
    This is in cessation.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.