Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't lose weight, need ideas please? Watch

ReputationRep:
    You sound a bit like me...Most of my meals are home-made and healthy, rarely have sweets, crisps, fizzy drinks etc. yet I still find it really difficult to shift excess weight. The one time I managed to lose a lot of weight and keep it off was when I wasn't even trying!

What worked for me was cutting out refined carbs e.g. rice, bread and other starchy foods like potatoes. You can't cut out carbs completely (well you can but it wouldn't be very good) but I recommend that you get all your carbs from fruit and veg rather than rice, bread and potatoes which have high carbs but little nutritional value. Some people don't take low carb very well, so don't force it if it makes you feel light-headed, dizzy etc. but personally I had more energy and I used to feel really sluggish after having very carb heavy dinners but after cutting these out I didn't get that anymore.

Exercise too if you're having trouble losing weight. Some people are lucky enough getting away with little/no exercise and I think the inconsistency of my exercise regime is what caused me to plateau after about three weeks. I think its just a matter of getting into a routine. You say you cycle for an hour a day which should be enough but its obviously not working so maybe you need to exercise a bit more intensely. I spend most of the day on my feet walking around and I guess it stopped me putting on weight but it didn't help me lose any. Try HIIT maybe? I've heard it can work wonders and I tried Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred which was really intense and tiring (maybe I'm just unfit lol) and I've heard people have really good results with that too.

Good luck, you're only a 10/12 so unless you're really short I doubt you need to lose much, if any weight so don't despair and just keep trying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prescilla)
    Just eat way more than 1000 calories but less than 2000.
    You should never eat less than 1200 calories a day, I've read (I can't remember why though!) Prescilla has given some great advice, might do the same myself!

ReputationRep:
    Eat less. Simple as.
    As an extreme example, there are loads of obese people who go around saying "I hardly eat anything, it's all in my genes!", yet when they have a gastric band fitted, the weight miraculously comes off.
    Apparently exercise is much less effective than just limiting your calorific intake, although it is still important as part of a healthy lifestyle, so don't give it up.
    Don't cut out any food groups, as your body needs all of them. Just try and make sure on the whole you're getting them from healthy and natural sources. ie go for wholewheat bread and pasta instead of white etc etc.
    Don't go overboard in the cutting down of calories either, just make sure you stick to the rda

I'm sure you look absolutely lovely anyway, so don't beat yourself up! Being healthy is far more important than being the skinnest one of your friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzybobzehorse)
    You should never eat less than 1200 calories a day, I've read (I can't remember why though!) Prescilla has given some great advice, might do the same myself!
    If I remember right the bmr is always a bit more than 1000 kcal. Just google bmr calculator (I recently used the third link) and you can get your bmr. From experience I can tell that eating too little makes you feel sick and extremely tired. And it doesn't take long when you start to feel cold all the time and your hair starts to look really awful. And when you don't get enough calories your body doesn't burn only the fat. First it burns all the muscles and then it attacks important organs like heart because it's muscles too. So you won't win anything. And when you start to eat normally, it all comes back with some extra weight. It took me a long road to learn how to do things right. It seems so good idea to make things easier but in a long run it doesn't help you at all.

ReputationRep:
    I lost 5 stone in 13 months with weight watchers. went from a size 20 to a 10/12:-D best thing i ever did:-D

ReputationRep:
    High intensity cardiovascular workouts at the gym usually help a lot.
    Try going Veggie? Helped me to lose weight...

(Original post by bzonnie)
    next 'big event to lose weight for' is not till next year, hehe.

Worked when I did it though. hardest thing is not having cereal at breakfast. but yeah good luck!!
    ooh what's the occasion? haha
    i'd love to lose weight before mine and the bf's anniversary haah, just as a target, but really just in general!

and i hate cereal anyway so that shouldnt be difficult :P

If you are really committed to this you can count calories. When you grow up eating what your parents give you, you may think it's all healthy. But even healthy looking food may contain too much calories. When I tried to lose weight I counted my calories. You should go under 2000 calories and that way you use more calories than you eat. That way I learned to see how much is a good portion of food (used a scale and counted how much for example 100 g of rice has calories). I learned to watch how much there are carbs, protein and fat in products.

You should avoid carbs (bread, pasta etc) and eat more protein (meat, eggs, cheese but avoid the ones that have too much fat). Some calorie counters in the internet have good carb/protein/fat "pies" that show how much you have eaten them. Just don't go too extreme with this because when I started to see results I just ate less and less calories. It may seem easy then but I'm sure you don't want any eating disorders? Just eat way more than 1000 calories but less than 2000. When you start to understand which foods are good (calories and carbs/protein/fat in it) and how big portions are good, you can stop counting calories because you can just estimate what you can eat.

Viksta1000's advice was really good. Make an exercise plan for yourself for a week and decide how long you want to do those activities (running, skipping rope, weights). But if it seems really hard for you, you could talk to a nutritionist and you can make a plan with her. I don't know how it works in britain so correct me if things are different there. My friend has been talking with her nutritionist and they made a plan what to eat and an exercise plan. She lost weight quite much with this help and support. And if there is something wrong with your body which makes it harder to lose weight, a professional can always help with that. I think nutritionists know the symptoms if there are any.
    that's cool haha though i can't really afford a nutriotionist as a student already in my overdraft!! haha

i've tried counting calories too, going between 1000 and 1500, and exercising, withnot too many carbs, and sensible portions...just didn't work!

found this book called "extreme fat smash" which is a 3 week staged diet, where it plans out the meals and recipes for you to follow, and you keep an exercise diary and stuff, which may help
    and you can repeat it over as many times as you want
    i read loads of reviews and its got hundreds of 5star reviews that look genuine

just want to find a way that actually works since nothing seems to haha!

not hugely unhappy, just really want to lose that bit extra and look how i want to look !

(Original post by purplesky)
    You sound a bit like me...Most of my meals are home-made and healthy, rarely have sweets, crisps, fizzy drinks etc. yet I still find it really difficult to shift excess weight. The one time I managed to lose a lot of weight and keep it off was when I wasn't even trying!

What worked for me was cutting out refined carbs e.g. rice, bread and other starchy foods like potatoes. You can't cut out carbs completely (well you can but it wouldn't be very good) but I recommend that you get all your carbs from fruit and veg rather than rice, bread and potatoes which have high carbs but little nutritional value. Some people don't take low carb very well, so don't force it if it makes you feel light-headed, dizzy etc. but personally I had more energy and I used to feel really sluggish after having very carb heavy dinners but after cutting these out I didn't get that anymore.

Exercise too if you're having trouble losing weight. Some people are lucky enough getting away with little/no exercise and I think the inconsistency of my exercise regime is what caused me to plateau after about three weeks. I think its just a matter of getting into a routine. You say you cycle for an hour a day which should be enough but its obviously not working so maybe you need to exercise a bit more intensely. I spend most of the day on my feet walking around and I guess it stopped me putting on weight but it didn't help me lose any. Try HIIT maybe? I've heard it can work wonders and I tried Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred which was really intense and tiring (maybe I'm just unfit lol) and I've heard people have really good results with that too.

Good luck, you're only a 10/12 so unless you're really short I doubt you need to lose much, if any weight so don't despair and just keep trying
    i'm glad (no offence meant here!) to see i'm not the only one haha! yeah i'm gonna try doing more exercise at once, rather than in `15-20 minute chunks haha, and go on a healthy but restricted diet and see what happens!

i don't think i'm hideous or anything, just i've got this far, i may as well keep going and get to where i want to be!

(Original post by Eloise987)
    Eat less. Simple as.
    As an extreme example, there are loads of obese people who go around saying "I hardly eat anything, it's all in my genes!", yet when they have a gastric band fitted, the weight miraculously comes off.
    Apparently exercise is much less effective than just limiting your calorific intake, although it is still important as part of a healthy lifestyle, so don't give it up.
    Don't cut out any food groups, as your body needs all of them. Just try and make sure on the whole you're getting them from healthy and natural sources. ie go for wholewheat bread and pasta instead of white etc etc.
    Don't go overboard in the cutting down of calories either, just make sure you stick to the rda

I'm sure you look absolutely lovely anyway, so don't beat yourself up! Being healthy is far more important than being the skinnest one of your friends.
    cool, thank you for the advice
    i'm gonna take on board what everyone has said and do my best!!

i'm not beating myself up too bad just really wanna prove i can get that little bit further and actualy do it!
    and i don't want to be the skinniest of my friends haha, i have some VERY skinny friends, who eat 5 meals a day and don't put on any weight :P madness!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i've tried counting calories too, going between 1000 and 1500, and exercising, withnot too many carbs, and sensible portions...just didn't work!
    That's strange. I don't want to accuse you of lying or anything, but I can't ever know if the person behind the screen is telling the truth. There are a lot of people who are overweight and they come to internet saying that they are fat but they have tried everything even though it isn't true. Maybe they just try to get some sympathy and a reason to think that it's not their fault? But as I said, I don't believe that you are lying. Do you think that there might be some disease behind it? If you truly believe that it's impossible for you to lose weight (that you are trying everything and you don't have unreasonable expectations) you could check a few disease descriptions like from wikipedia. Hyperinsulinemia (causes a symptom of PCOS) or Hypothyroidism are the first things that always come to my mind because I know people who suffer from them. And it could be in your genes, are you relatives like you?

i have some VERY skinny friends, who eat 5 meals a day and don't put on any weight :P madness!!
    This really depressed me, especially when people like that don't understand that you can't eat everything you want and you don't lose extra weight if you "stop eating candy or drinking soda" because you don't eat or drink anything like that already! And it annoyed me even more when they said that candy and soda thing when I ate under 500 cals and still didn't lose that much weight. I don't usually talk about this because some idiots come to me and say that I'm just trying to find someone to blame for my fatness but I personally have a disease. PCOS is such a pain because with some people it really affects the weight (and other quite nasty symptoms). I wouldn't have ever got it diagnosed if I wouldn't have googled things. When keeping your weight normal becomes extremely difficult it's not normal anymore. And I of course had other symptoms but before this I just thought that I had bad genes. But there is always a medication for these symptoms. Now it's not that hard to control my weight.

ReputationRep:
    Sit outside in the cold and shiver yourself thin.

That's strange. I don't want to accuse you of lying or anything, but I can't ever know if the person behind the screen is telling the truth. There are a lot of people who are overweight and they come to internet saying that they are fat but they have tried everything even though it isn't true. Maybe they just try to get some sympathy and a reason to think that it's not their fault? But as I said, I don't believe that you are lying. Do you think that there might be some disease behind it? If you truly believe that it's impossible for you to lose weight (that you are trying everything and you don't have unreasonable expectations) you could check a few disease descriptions like from wikipedia. Hyperinsulinemia (causes a symptom of PCOS) or Hypothyroidism are the first things that always come to my mind because I know people who suffer from them. And it could be in your genes, are you relatives like you?
    hmm...i'd never really thought about the possibility of it being a condition, because obviously i've lost weight before. i'm gonna try really hard in january, and if nothing at all happens i may consult my doctor about it, just incase. some of my family are a little large, but not the entire family, i don't think it runs in the family haha, but you never know :P tbh it also may be the mindset of not being able to lose weight isn't helping!!

This really depressed me, especially when people like that don't understand that you can't eat everything you want and you don't lose extra weight if you "stop eating candy or drinking soda" because you don't eat or drink anything like that already! And it annoyed me even more when they said that candy and soda thing when I ate under 500 cals and still didn't lose that much weight. I don't usually talk about this because some idiots come to me and say that I'm just trying to find someone to blame for my fatness but I personally have a disease. PCOS is such a pain because with some people it really affects the weight (and other quite nasty symptoms). I wouldn't have ever got it diagnosed if I wouldn't have googled things. When keeping your weight normal becomes extremely difficult it's not normal anymore. And I of course had other symptoms but before this I just thought that I had bad genes. But there is always a medication for these symptoms. Now it's not that hard to control my weight.
    awww i'm sorry to hear that people need to understand that just because someone is larger, they don't spend all day eating crappy food and never doing exercise, because they don't know the whole situation!! i'm glad you have medication and stuff to help you cope and i hope you have plenty of support and good friends to help you out!! my friends are pretty understanding, they know it's weird that they don't put any weight on, but they're guys too, which i think makes it easier. my boyfriend is one of them, he is absolutely tiny but eats like i don't know what!! sometimes makes me jealous but then he is supportive of me and cares no matter whether i lose any weight or not so i'm lucky there!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with everything you've said here. People always say cut out fizzy drinks, crisps, chocolate etc. and I personally rarely eat those things but people just think it's that easy. I have PCOS too (diagnosed myself through google as well lol) and luckily I don't have any of the "nasty symptoms" except the trouble with losing weight. I was eating about 300 cals a day at one point when I was really frustrated about dieting for 2 months and losing nothing and I only lost a couple of pounds which was obviously temporary. I'm not super-overweight or anything but it's v. frustrating...Out of interest, did you take medication and did it help with weight issues? Because since I was diagnosed the doctors haven't bothered doing anything about it really.

Sorry, OP for going a bit off-topic but you never know, there could be an underlying cause (unlikely but possible) - don't worry about it but just be aware of other things which might not be right with your body in case they are linked. I never would have been diagnosed if I wasn't a bit of a hypochondriac lol.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Calorie intake and output.

To lose weight you need to use up more than you take in to burn fat reserves.

If you eat 2000 Calories a day, do exerrsise that "burns" 2500 calories a day.

Work it out like a maths question.

Basically eat a healthy low fat less calorie diet (nothing too extreme)
    And do more exercise, jogging, swimming, general cardio.

Seriously. Eat less. Do more. Works for absolutely anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting thread.

Cutting out bread would be rather difficult. As we eat it a lot here. (good bread,not loaf etc)

ReputationRep:
    Some people's bodies cling on the weight for dear life. I've seen some hefty people fail to shift more than a few pounds but some shed stones of weight off, it's odd.

Keep up what you're doing, you may be adding muscle weight (in some way) which is heavier than fat weight. Keep going!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    Interesting thread.

Cutting out bread would be rather difficult. As we eat it a lot here. (good bread,not loaf etc)
    I eat a lot of bread, mainly baguettes and such. It is true, bread has become a fundamental part of normality in diets yet it is packed with calories.

ReputationRep:
    Right, well I'm not hugely overweight, but I'm not entirely happy with how I look, and I have several friends who've lost weight and look really great. When I started uni I lost a lot of weight, but over the summer after my first year i put some back on. I tried dieting again starting my second year, but I can't seem to shift it I cycle for nearly an hour every day, and walk a lot , so it's not like I hardly get any exercise, I eat well too

I'm home for christmas at the moment, and really would like to lose weight, and fairly quick since I'm so fedup with not being able to lose it, and I know it's possible because I've seen people do it, but I can't really control my diet at home as I eat what I'm given, which in fairness is usually pretty healthy anyway! I don't tend to snack or eat huge meals or too much crap when I'm home, but nothing seems to help

Any ideas that are defo gonna work, or experience?
    If you're serious:

http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viksta1000)
    I lost 1st 8lbs over the 6 week holidays by cutting calories, but eating more, sounds weird i know
    This is what i did

• Cut out ALL carbs i.e. bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc - this is what our body uses for fuel, so if you cut it off, your body will be forced to burn fat
    • Eat loads of protein - fills you up and maintains muscle, but eat good protein like fish and lean meats, not like bacon, sausages or beef (egg whites are awsome)
    • Eat plenty of Fibre - no calories and helps flush out the crap => this is the magic ingredient to lose weight. If you eat plenty of fibre, you consume hardly any calories, but your body is still having to churn up the food so you increase your metabolism
    • drink ice cold water - may sound stupid, but your body will use energy trying to heat up the water to body temperature - this method alone can help you lose upto 1/2lb a week

Obviously exercise, go out for a 15-30 minute RUN...not jog, RUN as in 70-80% Sprint...with your lack of carbs (because you would have cut them out in your diet) your body will look to burn fat, and a run will catalyse this process.

Make sure that you also combine weights as you want to maintain muscle mass, dont get caught in the trap where you think you're losing fat weight when infact you're losing muscle

Also if you do choose to cut out carbs, in the first two weeks you will lose considerable amounts of weight (around half a stone), this is your body losing water weight so be sure to keep topped up with water.

Any other advice, feel free to pm me!

Good Luck!!!
    This is what is known as 'broscience' and it's mostly rubbish.

You don't need to cut all carbs, eat loads of fibre and drink ice cold water. It won't help. Just exercise, watch the calories and eat a varied diet. If you are patient and consistent enough, you will get used to eating less and you won't realise you're losing weight.

The emphasis is really on cardio for someone who is struggling to lose weight. Adding a weight regime is hard work, requiring extra motivation and is really only for bodybuilders who need to maintain their god-like physique whilst they cut for a competition.
    You probably don't have much muscle to maintain as you haven't built any, so don't worry about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben Singleton)
    Whaaaaat? Running steadily for an hour burns about 500 calories. I don't fancy THAT regime...

Don't forget that living and going through the motions alone burns a good 1700 calories (called your Basal Metabolic Rate, or BMR).

The recommendation is to eat your BMR in calories and do daily exercise - you burn the calories you eat purely by living and the exercise you do is spent losing fat (supposedly).

BMR calculations are never particularly accurate however, so don't take it as gospel.

That's more reasonable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzybobzehorse)
    This. Don't eat under 1600 preferably.

(Original post by Ben Singleton)
    Calorie intake and output.

To lose weight you need to use up more than you take in to burn fat reserves.

Work it out like a maths question.

Absolute rubbish. Seriously man. Don't give out advice like that again. What exercise burns 2500 calories a day? Jesus christ.

(Original post by viksta1000)
    I lost 1st 8lbs over the 6 week holidays by cutting calories, but eating more, sounds weird i know
    This is what i did

• Cut out ALL carbs i.e. bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc - this is what our body uses for fuel, so if you cut it off, your body will be forced to burn fat
    • Eat loads of protein - fills you up and maintains muscle, but eat good protein like fish and lean meats, not like bacon, sausages or beef (egg whites are awsome)
    • Eat plenty of Fibre - no calories and helps flush out the crap => this is the magic ingredient to lose weight. If you eat plenty of fibre, you consume hardly any calories, but your body is still having to churn up the food so you increase your metabolism
    • drink ice cold water - may sound stupid, but your body will use energy trying to heat up the water to body temperature - this method alone can help you lose upto 1/2lb a week

Obviously exercise, go out for a 15-30 minute RUN...not jog, RUN as in 70-80% Sprint...with your lack of carbs (because you would have cut them out in your diet) your body will look to burn fat, and a run will catalyse this process.

Make sure that you also combine weights as you want to maintain muscle mass, dont get caught in the trap where you think you're losing fat weight when infact you're losing muscle

Also if you do choose to cut out carbs, in the first two weeks you will lose considerable amounts of weight (around half a stone), this is your body losing water weight so be sure to keep topped up with water.

Any other advice, feel free to pm me!

Good Luck!!!
    You lost 3.6lbs a week? Please don't advocate this, it's not healthy at all.

In bold could be perhaps some of the worst advice given on these forums, i've ever seen.

OP, DO NOT cut out carbs under any circumstances. Unlike what viksta says here, your body will not turn to fat for energy. It will turn to the next source, which will most likely be protein. The only time when your body burns fat as an energy source is when you do exercise on an empty stomach, however, this isn't recommended either, as it may hinder your metabolism early on in the morning.

Viksta's second point is close to the truth. You do need protein, but ultimately, you need more carbs. Because when you run out of carbs, your body will turn to the protein for energy, and the protein will be used for energy rather than muscle recovery after working out. The sources he's said are right however. Fish and lean meats are preferred, however, there's nothing wrong with a nice steak or a bit of beef. Cottage cheese & egg whites are also good source, but don't overlook peanut butter. It provides protein, and healthy fats, yes, healthy fats.

Third point isn't worth talking about, as it's that badly put. Admittedly, the more fibre you eat, the more you'll "go" if you get what I mean. However, it won't speed your metabolism up at all. What speeds your metabolism up, is more muscle, not a food source.

Viksta's fourth point may actually hold some truth. I remember reading somewhere that a colder shower in the morning helps burn fat, but again, I woulden't recommend it. 1/2lb may be 1/2lb too much.

Without carbs, if you manage to do a 15-30 minute run, i'll eat my hat. Seriously. What's your body gonna use for energy? You'll feel lathargic and energyless. For cardio, I recommend HIIT. 20 minutes should be enough. 1 minute sprint, 1 1/2 minute walk, rinse and repeat. It gives your metabolism a boost afterwards.

Retaining muscle mass is important, but muscle mass is mostly maintained with a high enough calorie intake. Losing weight should be a very slow process if done properly which will gain better results. At most 1lb-1.5lbs a week should be lost.

http://www.ironmagazine.com/modules....rticle&sid=119

Read that article, but ignore the weight gain part to work out your BMR. Eat only about 300 calories below this.

Getting your macronutrients throughout the day is important. 0.5g of fat per lb of bodyweight is needed. Do not think of fat as bad. Because it isn't. You need it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.