Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Epilepsy? :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    DISCLAIMER: Yes, I know you're not doctors, and any advice you give me isn't approved medical blah blah blah. I don't care, I'm sightly worried and I want some advice or reassurance.

Right, so, I'm starting to think I might be epileptic. I have 'twitches' all the time, when I'm awake and stuff. They're really violent, and they cause me to drop things and knock into things. They don't affect me in any major way, other than people thinking I'm extremely clumsy lol. As far as I can remember, these have been happening since I was about 12.

I also often get a weird feeling of distortion with the world, followed by a rush of anxiety, and then I either have a really violent jerk movement, or I just...sort of...space out. I can't really remember what I do when this happens, but I remember it's happened, if that makes sense. :s

I was tested for epilepsy when I was 11 but it was clear. Is it possible to develop epilepsy later on? Also, does it sound as if I might seriously have it? Or am I just panicking, haha. Thanks.

Oh, and anyone with epilepsy or who has knowledge of it, your stories are welcome. Does it mean I can never drive if I have it?
    Although I don't have epilepsy, one of my friends does, and he got diagnosed with it at around 14-15 maybe? He blacks out for no apparent reason, however he seems to have "grew out of it" and now hardly ever, if ever in fact, has these, and he's allowed to drive.

(Original post by .Ali.)
      Do you still have seizures now?

From that link you sent, the symptoms I get are:

stiffness or twitching in part of the body (such as an arm or hand).
      a ‘rising’ feeling in the stomach or deja vu (feeling like you've 'been here before')
      getting an unusual smell or taste
      a sudden intense feeling of fear or joy.
      picking up objects for no reason
      talking 'nonsense' or muttering, or repeating words that don't make sense
      wandering around in a confused way.

And then the myoclonic seizure things.

Basically, is this enough to go to the doctors with? Or am I worrying about nothing?
      Go to GP. Sounds like valid concerns, and I'm betting you were tested previously for a reason.

Tests for epilepsy arent 100% so it is quite possible to have a negative test but still be epileptic.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.