Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    for people that aren't sure about the effects of smoking, it causes:

increased risk of cancer: eg. of lungs, heart, cervix, throat, mouth
    CHD (coronary heart disease) due to increased deposits of cholesterol
    atherosclerosis
    damage to the cilia in throat resulting in the need to cough often to clear the throat
    loss of taste and smell
    ageing of the skin
    balding
    impotence in men (inability to have and maintain erection & death of sperm)

...and many more! I would like to urge to all smokers to try their best to quit.

For more details on smoking effects and how to quit, just google it. there's loads of useful websites

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkmeerkat)
    Your are right but SIDS and stillbirth are too different things. Smoking can cause both leading to babies dying in the womb where the mother smokes during pregnancy, and smoking aroudn the baby by anyone in close contact/in the same house as them can also be a leading contributor to SIDS

Yes smoking while pregnant isn't good like lots of things its a big risk, you can often see that the mother is a smoker jsut by looking at the placenta, it doen't look as healthy as it should and it has calcifications - metal deposits on it- you can just see the effect it must have had on giving the baby everything it needs.
    That said at the end of the day it all about choice, like it or lump it that baby has no rights till it comes out and you could do a lot worse then smoke a couple of cigs a day!
    is it? ok thanks for the correction

ReputationRep:
    My mom smoked about three a day when she was pregnant with me and one of my brothers, but she gave up before she had my other four siblings.

Can't say its had any side effects, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    for people that aren't sure about the effects of smoking, it causes:

increased risk of cancer: eg. of lungs, heart, cervix, throat, mouth
    CHD (coronary heart disease) due to increased deposits of cholesterol
    atherosclerosis
    damage to the cilia in throat resulting in the need to cough often to clear the throat
    loss of taste and smell
    ageing of the skin
    balding
    impotence in men (inability to have and maintain erection & death of sperm)

...and many more! I would like to urge to all smokers to try their best to quit.

For more details on smoking effects and how to quit, just google it. there's loads of useful websites
    I may be wrong but I think we talking about the effefcts of smoking on the unborn child
    aren't those effects of smoking to the smoker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    Probably.
    Although, having just suffered a miscarriage despite not smoking or drinking, and despite eating well, I give up trying to work out what's good or bad.
    ...i'm really, really sorry to hear that. of course, there could be many different reasons for it. have a word to a doctor if need be.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely disgusting. Why would you try and kill your baby?

Though I heard as well that smoking reduces the size of babies, and some women are fearful of stretch marks they smoke to make sure the baby is small in size.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alibobs)
    I may be wrong but I think we talking about the effefcts of smoking on the unborn child
    aren't those effects of smoking to the smoker
    ermm.. yeh, i was digressing, wasn't I? sorry ppz. ok, i don't wana copy coz some of these sites are copyrighted. but this link is really good for effects during pregnancy :

http://www.askbaby.com/effects-smoking-in-pregnancy.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .meh.)

Though I heard as well that smoking reduces the size of babies, and some women are fearful of stretch marks they smoke to make sure the baby is small in size.
    REALLY? I find this shocking...

ReputationRep:
    My mum smoked throughout my lil bros pregnancy. He was born prematute. He was put in an incubator and he has astmha*. Also, hes short for his age and his grammar is poor compared to me and my other brother and sister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .meh.)

Yeah, I've heard this too, always makes me think of the scuzzy bird from Shameless who says shes smoking to keep the baby small because shes "too posh to push":rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .meh.)

I feel that's a pile o' crap
    I have heard many many people say I hope this baby isn't too big (it's the pushing it out more than the stretchmarks in general) I have never heard of anyone wishing to smoke or refrain from eating to keep the baby small and avoid stretchmarks. I highly doubt that's the reason people smoke while pregnant

ReputationRep:
    Probably.
    Although, having just suffered a miscarriage despite not smoking or drinking, and despite eating well, I give up trying to work out what's good or bad.
    I'm so sorry for you. It's hard to know what to say at a time like this - sometimes these things just happen despite all your hard work. I hope things get better for you chick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiZZeeKiD)
    Yeah, I've heard this too, always makes me think of the scuzzy bird from Shameless who says shes smoking to keep the baby small because shes "too posh to push":rolleyes:
    i know it's only tv but you still have to push with a small baby lol. Only way you dont is with a c sextion and that's got nothing to do with smoking

Just out of curiosity *where* are you people hearing this?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BambieWambie)
    My mum smoked throughout my lil bros pregnancy. He was born prematute. He was put in an incubator and he has astmha*. Also, hes short for his age and his grammar is poor compared to me and my other brother and sister.
    really? that's very similar to what the link says in my post above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.L. C-Brown)
    My mom smoked about three a day when she was pregnant with me and one of my brothers, but she gave up before she had my other four siblings.

Can't say its had any side effects, really.
    I'd go for the "better safe than sorry"

ReputationRep:
    I feel that's a pile o' crap
    I have heard many many people say I hope this baby isn't too big (it's the pushing it out more than the stretchmarks in general) I have never heard of anyone wishing to smoke or refrain from eating to keep the baby small and avoid stretchmarks. I highly doubt that's the reason people smoke while pregnant
    Not everyone of course, but say a woman. She thinks herself attractive, or thinks that stretch marks would be aesthetically detrimental. It's not that farfetched, especially with more and more people considering abortions than say 20 years ago. A typically vain girl, who likes her body and the baby was the product of a one night stand... I mean it's not like the baby's going to grow in a loving family here..

ReputationRep:
    i know it's only tv but you still have to push with a small baby lol. Only way you dont is with a c sextion and that's got nothing to do with smoking

Just out of curiosity *where* are you people hearing this?!
    Haha, yeah I know. Hearing that it results in smaller babies? I thought it was just common knowledge...but heres a source if its helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .meh.)

That's shocking mothers could risk their babies health in the name of vanity.

Especially I doubt it would make the slightest bit of difference.
    Stretchmarks depend on skin type more than anything...

ReputationRep:
    Heres some stuff about teens smoking to have smaller babies;

http://www.metro.co.uk/home/20544-te...ave-small-baby
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-minister.html

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't saying it for sympathy I was just trying to point out that everything's not just black and white in such situations.

But thanks :-) I will be okay xx
    I knew you weren't, just making a point, and you're right. I've had friends who've lost children through no fault of their own and its one of the worse things to go through. Wish you all the best hun, take care xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.