Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ocular health/optics course forum **If that sounds interesting, read on** Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    I'm not sure we want someone who gets banned on our forum... :haughty:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Nah, we do. :p: Added everyones' names to the list, just have to wait and hope.
    Hey I remember you got banned once too, tut tut, take note Hygeia. :naughty:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Good good, us optoms shall be one step closer in taking over the forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirRamAlot)
    Hey I remember you got banned once too, tut tut, take note Hygeia. :naughty:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Good good, us optoms shall be one step closer in taking over the forum
    No, I only skated close to the mark - never actually been banned. What did you do this time?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Then the world! :devil:

ReputationRep:
    No, I only skated close to the mark - never actually been banned. What did you do this time?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Then the world! :devil:
    Ahh lol. Spammed by going off-topic a few times which got me 5+ warning points each.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Yeah that'd be a good idea Esp for potential applicants, it's always a pain to find good information and student experiences in our fields. And hear hear! To the Optical TSR Revolution :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. I opened a group for us, feel free to join.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=1105

Hope it will go well. You are welcome to start posting there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foundintransmission)
    Hi! Yeah that'd be a good idea Esp for potential applicants, it's always a pain to find good information and student experiences in our fields. And hear hear! To the Optical TSR Revolution :p:
    Glad to see an orthoptics person!

ReputationRep:
    Glad to see an orthoptics person!
    Wooo the lone orthoptist XD As usual lmao. We're a bit like an endangered species :p:

ReputationRep:
    Wooo the lone orthoptist XD As usual lmao. We're a bit like an endangered species :p:
    Care to gee them along..?

ReputationRep:
    As a matter of fact I want to take it as a specialty later on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kathy89)
    As a matter of fact I want to take it as a specialty later on...
    Ooh yay!

ReputationRep:
    Ooh yay!
    I still have at least three years before I pick a specialty. Is that a different degree in UK?

ReputationRep:
    I still have at least three years before I pick a specialty. Is that a different degree in UK?
    Yeah Orthoptics is it's own thing, I'm not sure how it works with Optometry though? Like if you already have the degree, that sort of thing?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Orthoptics is it's own thing, I'm not sure how it works with Optometry though? Like if you already have the degree, that sort of thing?
    Here you study General Optometry and then Choose specialties and practice them. It means you can pick up more then one but you must have practice and pass an exam.

ReputationRep:
    Here you study General Optometry and then Choose specialties and practice them. It means you can pick up more then one but you must have practice and pass an exam.
    Ooh that sounds interesting Do you have separate Orthoptists there though?

ReputationRep:
    Ooh that sounds interesting Do you have separate Orthoptists there though?
    As a profession yes, but they study Optometry and take Orthoptics as a specialty, or do a second degree in it (again, as a specialty).

ReputationRep:
    As a profession yes, but they study Optometry and take Orthoptics as a specialty, or do a second degree in it (again, as a specialty).
    What does your job role involve? As an orthoptist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosi M)
    What does your job role involve? As an orthoptist?
    Unlike Optometry it is more focusing on fixing eye-muscles problems and vision improvement exercises. I want to investigate the Bates' Method and stuff like that. Although I'm already pretty sure they don't really work as the authors claim, but still they help a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Unlike Optometry it is more focusing on fixing eye-muscles problems and vision improvement exercises. I want to investigate the Bates' Method and stuff like that. Although I'm already pretty sure they don't really work as the authors claim, but still they help a bit.
    Ooh okay.. yeah im familiar with the eye muscle stuff and binocular vision.. am i right?

So optometrists they detect any pathological problems using the equipment and obviously prescribe glasses.. what about you guys? Vision improvement exercises?.. Sorry about all the questions.. i want to familiarise myself fully so in any interviews if im asked (which is common) i know what im talking about!

ReputationRep:
    Is the forum thingy up yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z_Ahmed)
    Is the forum thingy up yet?
    No, but Hygeia is bringing it up at the next review of the university forums; for now, best thing to do would be keep being active about optometry (and orthoptics and dispensing ) on TSR and, if you know anybody studying it or applying, encouraging them to come on here if they have questions.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.