Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scottish football in summer..thoughts? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should Scotland move the SPA to a summer(and spring/autumn) season?
    Results hidden until poll closes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zander5)
    Whole thing needs to be ditched its garbage.
    Scotland has a population of 5m ffs, what do you expect from their league?! Comparisons with La Liga are embarrasing. Considering that, their two biggest clubs have stadiums with capacities greater than both Liverpool and Chelsea, and they do manage to rake in high attendances, both of whom also reached the UEFA cup finals within the last few years. The great Sir Alex Ferguson begun his managerial career in Scotland, as did the much talked about Owen Coyle, amongst others. The Old Firm both have a massive international following, and the derby really is a fixture any neutral would want to tune in to, for the atmosphere at least.

On the subject of summer football, it would certaintly be something that would raise the profile of the league, and I guess that wouldn't be too bad.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think a winter break is viable considering how do you know when winter is? For example this year is started snowing quite early but there's been a few times where it wouldn't snow until january/febuary.

And as for the spl being a top 2 league...yea because the EPL isn't dominated by 3 teams :erm::lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A_master)
    I'd like to see them keeping the ****ing posts up in the parks during summer ffs. What a retarded thing to do, take them away when most people want to use them :iiam:
    I agree with you 100% ..I just don't get it WTF

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Don't think a winter break is viable considering how do you know when winter is? For example this year is started snowing quite early but there's been a few times where it wouldn't snow until january/febuary.

And as for the spl being a top 2 league...yea because the EPL isn't dominated by 3 teams :erm::lol:
    Yes but it's different everyone beats each other in the Premier League were as its not uncommon fopr rangers and celtic to go unbeaten for months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildrover)
    Yes but it's different everyone beats each other in the Premier League were as its not uncommon fopr rangers and celtic to go unbeaten for months.
    No its not.

United are unbeaten so far this season, Chelsea go on huge winning streaks for months on end, Arsenal went an entire season without being beat once.
    • TSR Support Team

At this rate the way our weather is going, even matches in the summer will be called off because of snow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim-ie)
    No its not.

United are unbeaten so far this season, Chelsea go on huge winning streaks for months on end, Arsenal went an entire season without being beat once.
    That was 6 years agoi when arsenel went unbeaten, chelsea have won one in about 9 abs united are drawing every other week; its hardly the same as the SPL were ranges and celtic comfartabley win each week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    It would be good because English people might actually watch some Scottish footy if that's all that's on during the summer. I know I would do from time to time, this would raise the profile of the league and help them get more money etc.

They'd have to work something out during WC and Euro years (every other year?) but I'm sure they could.

No need - it's not like they're gonna qualify! :grin:

Anyway, I have often had this thought about amatuer football in this country. Often when I play, the pitch is so muddy that I cannot pass the ball along the ground. Then, as December approaches, games are called off more and more. This makes it frustrating, causes a lack of momentum and a halt in development, and is a reason for large dropouts.

As for the long term benefits, there wouldn't be competition between spectatorship and being a player. I would have Saturdays and Sundays free to watch more football, and even see the Rovers when possible. In the summer, my time will be my own, and I can play football without fear of missing an important spectacle. There is quite a divide between specators and amatuer players - you have to be one or the other, it is hard to be both, especially with games no longer always being on a Saturday afternoon. This makes it hard for a fan to commit to a team to play for because they may miss midweek games because of training, and several weekend games because of their own matches.

But the real champion benefit, the one that will have everyone jacking off, is the eventual change of the English style. Hoof it and run? No need. The ground will be nice enough for you to be able to play that ten yard pass to your teammate with percision. Run run run? It will be too hot. Think about it, this is how it happens in Spain. It is too hot to run around like a loon, so they relax and chill, often playing a short pass to a teammate to let him do the work because they are tired from the sun and need a nap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildrover)
    That was 6 years agoi when arsenel went unbeaten, chelsea have won one in about 9 abs united are drawing every other week; its hardly the same as the SPL were ranges and celtic comfartabley win each week.
    wat

celtic have got turned over by teams like hearts and inverness this season. the spl title is 50/50 between celtic and rangers, the epl title has been 50/50 between united and another team out of chelsea or arsenal for ages.

when arsenal won the league the epl was in its absolute prime.

ReputationRep:
    Might make the SPL some money as there is no competition for attention, except yno, the World Cup and the EURO and the Olympics.

Not that Scotland ever has anything to do with those.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 4, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.