Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's your relationship with your parents like? Watch

ReputationRep:
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    I get on with my mum I guess but... I dunno, she frustrates me a lot sometimes and I hate how she doesn't understand me at all. She's very 'mumsy', always baking and there for a hug, and I'm at boarding school so she's always the person I'd ring when homesick because she knows how to make me feel better. But anything serious, I just can't bring myself to talk to her because it's like we're on two different planets sometimes.
    My dad, on the other hand, I cannot begin to express my contempt for him. I genuinely have no emotional attachment to him whatsoever anymore, and I only make an effort sometimes because he's my father, and I have to.
    When I'm away from home I never miss my parents.

ReputationRep:
    Don't speak to my mum much, only speak to my dad when we're arguing or I'm trying to get him to explain something Chemistry-related. I don't feel like I can speak to them about most things, but I don't feel like I can speak to my friends about most things either.

But because we don't talk much I wouldn't say it was a bad relationship...

ReputationRep:
    parents died after I was born and I was raised by wolves

ReputationRep:
    Amazing!
    My parents were getting divorced, and i got alot closer to my mum and she became more like a friend. Now they are no longer getting divorced its still good.
    Last weekend i got horrifically drunk and my friends called my family asking them to come and get me as i was helpless. My mum and sister drove out in the snow, stayed up while i was sick and made me toast. Then in the morning i couldn't remember anything, and they weren't even angry.

Dont get me wrong, they have always been good at setting boundaries and have brought me and my sister up really well, but they know when i'm well and truly sorry.

ReputationRep:
    When I went to Uni I went for weeks on end without speaking to my parents. I now speak to them a lot ore often. Once a week at least (I live the other side of the country) but I don't see them nearly as often as I'd like to. We get along very well, I generally keep them updated with what's going on in my life. But I think I prefer them at a distance if I'm quite honest :cool: We get along much better that way.

ReputationRep:
    i'm close to my mum, though i think she feels closer to me than i do about her because when i left for uni she was upset for weeks, whereas i didnt miss them that much :mmm: but still, we get on really well, we go shopping, cinema etc.

i'd be closer to my dad if he wasn't at work all day, every day, i definitely felt closer to him when i worked for him as i got to see him for the whole day, and we get on well. but he is extremely protective of me, and its really embarrassing/annoying, i just have to look at a guy and my dad is ready to castrate him :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I'm really quite close to my parents. I'm really close to my whole family actually. My grandparents, aunties and uncles were always around when I was a kid, so they all in a way brought me up.

My Mum is pretty relaxed but then very strict at the same time. As a kid, she was a sort of idol to me. She was a big career woman, gorgeous glamorous and yet still defied all prejudices by having me at only 19. I always felt very protective of her when I was little. Although my family were always around, in a sense at home it was just me and her. She's always made me feel special and I've been very lucky to have her. These days we do argue quite a bit. But it's because we're both incredibly stubborn. I can talk and talk for hours on end with my Mum. She holds a pretty intelligent conversation. It's the same with my Stepdad. He only came around when I was 11, and we don't have quite the glamourous lifestyle I had as a little kid anymore but he's such a great person. He's funny and really down to earth. My Dad, I've only really started to become close to again. From 13 to 15 he wasn't really part of my life, not for really any reason. But he is also so incredibly intelligent. I love speaking to him on the phone now and I'm glad I get to see him so much more.

Admittedly alot of the time my family make want to tear my hair out...but I love them and although I feel uncomfortable talking about certain situations with them, I wouldn't swap them for the world.
    • PS Helper

(Original post by StrawberryKoi)
    Ever since my mum died when I was 5, it's definitely brought my and my Dad closer. He's different from most Dads.. he has pretty much treated me like an adult for as long as I can remember, by valuing my opinions on decisions he makes, and he doesn't meddle with my life too much, doesn't nag at me at all.. I guess he just hopes I know what I'm doing with my life, to be honest. I'd say we're quite close and he's pretty darn reasonable about most things, compared to my friends' parents.
    what the hell is going on with the cat and the bird in your sig? I keep just watching and watching...

(I now read your actual post)

Sorry to hear about your mum

ReputationRep:
    Really good. You should sit down and have a cup of tea with your mum

ReputationRep:
    Used to get on very well with my mom, but more recently we just haven't been seeing eye to eye at all

Never really had a relationship with my dad... he takes no interest in what i do, so i don't take any interest in what he does

ReputationRep:
    Extremely, extremely close to my mum
    Hardly ever see my Dad though.. :s

ReputationRep:
    Incestual :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    ****ty Dad. Awesome Mum

ReputationRep:
    Not really very good with my Mum. She's just so freaking annoying. Nothing in common with her and everything she does annoys me.

My dad is pretty amazing, I can tell him anything and I spend time with him regularly. He treats me like an adult and is just generally nice to me. Plus, it helps that he pretty much never is mad with me. Literally whatever I do, he never gets annoyed with me, which is relieving. I just love him. I couldn't ask for a better dad and I would never dream of doing so.

ReputationRep:
    Really close to both my parents. We have rows all the time but they'd do absolutely anything for me.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a dad, and I don't like my mum at all. I love her because she's my mum, but I don't like spending time with her and I'm pretty sure she feels the same about me

ReputationRep:
    parents split 7/8 years ago, since i am really close with my mum but hate my dads guts
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowbex)
    what the hell is going on with the cat and the bird in your sig? I keep just watching and watching...

(I now read your actual post)

Sorry to hear about your mum
    Haha the cat's carrying a balloon, it bursts, the cat takes ages to react, then does an awesome ninja jump.

And its okay

ReputationRep:
    Really close to both of my parents. I don't know what I'd do without them

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.