Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    Excuse me?!

Firstly, architecture is very important to me (why do you think I chose RHUL over York?)! Now, as a design student, it's just as important, and for me, a place being aesthetically pleasing is a massive part of uni life.

And as for the snow comment, everywhere looks nice in the snow. Even Medway.

I didn't like York. This is my opinion (which I am entitled to, thank you, loonyplatypus) and I wouldn't recommend the uni. The insides of the buildings I went into were dated and smelt musky, and I made the right decision withdrawing from there.

Oh yes, I also now receive York Alumni emails, and they still tried to make me sign out to a York email account even after a month of being withdrawn.
    Ha yeah I get those emails too, blood suckers wanting me to donate to them. Whats the point of the exclusive email address other than sentiment? Agree on the architecture, refers to the level of investment into undergraduates: quite poor

ReputationRep:
    This thread has been pretty indispensable for me, vis a vis colleges!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=814119

But any extra advice anyone can give would be great! I'm thinking Derwent will be most likely for me atm.

EDIT: ALSO, the million dollar question - do the on-campus cashpoints charge a transaction fee? Because the ones at Nottingham do, and I was very pissed off X)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexmagpie)
    This thread has been pretty indispensable for me, vis a vis colleges!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=814119

But any extra advice anyone can give would be great! I'm thinking Derwent will be most likely for me atm.

EDIT: ALSO, the million dollar question - do the on-campus cashpoints charge a transaction fee? Because the ones at Nottingham do, and I was very pissed off X)
    No they don't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miri_X)
    Hi loonyplatypus

I also have an offer at York and at the moment I think it's my first choice. So now I am trying to work out which college looks best. Are there any that are obviously better (or worse) than others?? It's really hard to find this sort of thing on the website as they are all trying to promote their college.
    It really depends on what you're looking for from the college - in terms of accommodation you should go for Goodricke or Alcuin; if you want to be in the centre of campus go for Vanbrugh, if you want catered accommodation go for Derwent. I'm very biased towards Alcuin because it has everything you could want

(Original post by KaHelene)
    Which parts of Halifax should I avoid then if possible? Also considered to apply there next year but I am not sure the other colleges seem nice too.
    Eep, I'm afraid I'm not sure of the exact places... I just know that some of the accommodation is pretty dodgy

No, they don't

ReputationRep:
    Avoid Langwith and the college that the Philosophy department is in. On a personal note, I say place safe and avoid the university altogether - it took 40 years to become somewhere that is OK looking.

In the greatest understatement of all time, I definitely say that 'The University of York is not for everyone'. Now that it has a second campus in Heslington East it is incredibly stretched out and yet it still remains a small feeling university, out on a limb from the rest of humanity. David Bowie should have written a song about it - Is there life in York Uni? There certainly isn't on a weekend.

I just don't know why anyone wouldn't prefer to be at somewhere pleasant looking throughout like Nottingham or somewhere where there are actually many great 60s buildings like Leicester. York is like a combination between a park, a car park, a bad Butlins camp and an airport terminus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laser3000)
    No they don't
    Clearly the most important question in this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    Avoid Langwith and the college that the Philosophy department is in. On a personal note, I say place safe and avoid the university altogether - it took 40 years to become somewhere that is OK looking.

In the greatest understatement of all time, I definitely say that 'The University of York is not for everyone'. Now that it has a second campus in Heslington East it is incredibly stretched out and yet it still remains a small feeling university, out on a limb from the rest of humanity. David Bowie should have written a song about it - Is there life in York Uni? There certainly isn't on a weekend.

I just don't know why anyone wouldn't prefer to be at somewhere pleasant looking throughout like Nottingham or somewhere where there are actually many great 60s buildings like Leicester. York is like a combination between a park, a car park, a bad Butlins camp and an airport terminus.
    Don't just dismiss Langwith out of hand. It might have some of the least attractive accomodation but undoubtedly has the best community spirit on campus and also has the best bar on its doorstep.

If you are coming next year it will still be really good craic for your first year on campus, after that when the college has moved over to Heslington East the character is likely to change noticeably. I wouldn't have applied if it was so far from the action but for 2011 it will still be amazing.

The Uni as a whole has a real community feel and this is even better within Langwith which is the smallest college. I'd encourage anyone to apply there if that atmosphere appeals. It may not be the best at sport but has some great events and bar crawls organised regularly as well as a very strong welfare infrastructure.

I've really enjoyed my first term at York and I'm sure most people would too. I can't compare it to anywhere else but I have certainly not been disappointed. It's an up-and-coming instition academically and the new developments will make it more competitive on other fronts in the next few years.

As for the lack of life at the weekends, this is generally true. But you'll probably end up going out 3 nights in the week anyway if you are doing a course like philosophy so it can be a time to relax with mates or do a bit of work (shock horror). Or if you're into your sport, why not just crash in the courtyard all afternoon.

Friday and Saturday nights may be quiet but you can still do something yourself or accept that things work a little differently to when you were at school/college and went out at the weekends.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely say that 'The University of York is not for everyone'.
    I'd extend that and say that there's no University that's for everyone - the entire thing is a personal preference. Like cities (I know people that love Birmingham as a city for example!), politics, football teams and pretty much everything else in life.

ReputationRep:
    I am considering for possible insurances (granted I get offers from Cambridge and/or St Andrews) Bristol or York. So far, I already have an offer by York (the first one).
    It's the only one of my choices I've never visited.

My question is:
    Why (or why not) should I choose York (over my other choices)?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I had a place to study at York, but after I visited (after results day), I withdrew my offer and chose RHUL instead.

York as a city is lovely and reminds me a bit of Canterbury. Lots of history, shops, nice environment. Then you get to the university and it's an absolute dump. It's got horrible concrete buildings and other horrible 60s architecture, it's muddy and covered in ducks and duck poo, it's got a horrible fake lake in the middle which is so mirky you can't see anything in it, and for me, the university had no character.

The student reps spend 90% of their time talking about alcohol, bars and clubs. York uni did not appeal to me whatsoever.
    Fair enough on your other points but this is a massive and unfair generalisation. You went to one open day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    Fair enough on your other points but this is a massive and unfair generalisation. You went to one open day.
    And an open day tends to show you the best and the worst of a place.

Anyway, it's not a 'massive and unfair generalisation', it's my opinion. I didn't like York, I'm stating why. I went there with a very open mind and was hugely disappointed with the university and the attitude of the current students, especially the potential ones at the open day. It just seemed to be an unfriendly, ugly, muddy place, completely contradicting its surroundings.

ReputationRep:
    *watches thread*

Hopefully you don't mind if I butt in, OP.

What do you think of the campus aspect of the uni? Is it still easy to go for nights out/shopping or whatever in town?
    Sorry if this is a bit irrelevant to the thread.
    I'm applying to similar schools! York (probable firm), lancaster and stirling!

anyway, I don't really know what to say now. But it's nice knowing there's someone with similar choices

ReputationRep:
    In terms of academics York is a quality university. If you want to be surrounded by ancient buildings and ivory towers, though, you should think twice. The disadvantage of places like York, Warwick, East Anglia and the other 60's universities is that they are not asthetically 'grand' like some other institutions, such as KCL. York is also a relatively small university. On the other hand, York is a relatively cheap place to live in, and the city of York itself is a very nice place. Also, like I said, despite York's asthetic shortcomings it still has a particularly strong academic profile. It attracts very capable students and academics alike. Finally, York's student satisfaction scores are much higher than average, so they must be doing something right.

So there you go. Ignore the trolls and generalizations saying York sucks, because it doesn't. It has its ups and downs.

ReputationRep:
    I saw you are applying for Philosophy - so i will give some help on that!

Im doing PPE, and have loved the Philosophy side so so much. The tutors here are excellent, the choice of modules is so broad and much better than at other unis, and everyone i know doing Philosophy loves it here.

Perhaps the architecture isnt amazing, but that makes no difference whatsoever. Everyone here is very friendly, and there is a great mix of people that you don't find at other uni's due to the range of courses on offer.

York is great. End of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gummi_bears)
    Sorry if this is a bit irrelevant to the thread.
    I'm applying to similar schools! York (probable firm), lancaster and stirling!

anyway, I don't really know what to say now. But it's nice knowing there's someone with similar choices
    Oh hey there!

What are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    And an open day tends to show you the best and the worst of a place.

Anyway, it's not a 'massive and unfair generalisation', it's my opinion. I didn't like York, I'm stating why. I went there with a very open mind and was hugely disappointed with the university and the attitude of the current students, especially the potential ones at the open day. It just seemed to be an unfriendly, ugly, muddy place, completely contradicting its surroundings.
    Er, how is 'the student reps spend 90% of their time talking about alcohol, bars and clubs' not an unfair generalisation? You must have met a handful at the most? Hundreds of different people do it every year. I know a lot of people that have been student reps and, for one thing, one of them doesn't even drink.

I didn't say anything to you about the surroundings- those were opinions on your part, yes, but what you said about the student reps wasn't fair.

ReputationRep:
    tbh the drinking is obviously part of a university's culture and York is no exception but you don't have to drink to have a good time in York. Just go visits ziggy's it's much more entertaining watching people falling down the stairs when the're pissed and you're sober than you yourself going head first down them. All i'd say is don't think because you don't drink or like getting hammered every time you go out means you have to sit out the socials you won't be the only 1 not drinking.
    Also the ducks can be annoying but throw bread out the kitchen window for them and it can be quite entertaining.
    JAMES COLLEGE is the place to be (apart from N block sorry )

ReputationRep:
    I spent three years doing an undergraduate degree in Psychology at York, and personally wouldnt recommend it. Its only since I started doing my masters degree at another University that I realised how much better it is than at York.
    I found the majority of the lecturers to be immersed in their research, unapproachable and difficult to understand. The most hardworking and helpful people in the department were the office staff who always went out of their way 100% to solve a problem.
    Id agree with the previous comments about everything being alcohol orientated, and particularly on freshers week, I found the "STYC" (second and third year contacts) reps to be very patronizing. The way they spoke to you felt like you were starting primary school.
    Id say the university campus as a whole is fairly average. I lived in the old goodricke halls, so couldnt tell you what new goodricke is like.
    York as a whole is a beautiful city but when you've lived there awhile, the architecture and the boutique shops lose their appeal. Leeds is only a £5 return bus journey away though, which has practically everything.
    All in all, it probably sounds like I had a bad time at York, but I really didnt. I just found it really average and dull, and since I started my MA course elsewhere, Ive seen how much better university can be.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, undoubtedly jimbo will be spewing some **** etc, so let me give you my take on it.

I really like York. It's in a quiet area, which is great for me, and its smallish- meaning that its easier to meet people and get from one place to another. There is always stuff going on whether it is sports or society events, and even when there isnt there are a lot of chill places. For nightlife, it depends what type of person you are. I myself dont really like clubbing, so i dont go often, however, I do enjoy revs or tokyo if im with mates. In turn, the city has a lot of cool historical places and niche stores that are rather quaint, which means York as a city has a strong identity.

the college system is pretty cool too. Ive been to quite a few block parties and its way easier to meet people too; I dont think the social side is much to worry about unless you are a snob or only enjoy huge clubs etc.

I am a history student so im not too hot on the philosophy course, although everyone ive spoken to seems to enjoy it.

York isnt perfect by a long shot (mainly the duck poo in certain areas) but people like jimbo make York out to be worse than Zimbabwe, so really take his comments with a pinch of salt.uy As a guy who was close to going to a London university, going to York was probably the best decision i've ever made.

ReputationRep:

still going through your emo phase ? good lord.
    Your posts last year about 'how bad york was' really was over-exaggerated. And why avoid Langwith ? its pretty decent for a chill spot, as is D bar. As for 'dead on the weekend' really this is questionable depending on what you want to do. Yes, not many societies operate on weekends, however this dosen't stop you visiting the city, playing sports, catching up on work or just chilling with flatmates, as I have done on pretty much all the weekends of my first term.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.