Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Andy Grey says that Messi couldn't cope in the EPL Watch

ReputationRep:
    Gray's having a laugh, Messi would eat up Stoke.

ReputationRep:

i came

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scholes)
    It would be interesting to see Messi every week against, teams like Stoke, Wolves, Everton, Blackburn who will put in a tackle at every oppurtunity compared to the slow defenders of La Liga.

La Liga is just a Sunny SPL. Two Teams.
    And the English league isn't hugely different. The two dominant teams over the last 6 years have been Chelsea and Manchester United. Except for Liverpool one year, no other team has looked like breaking that duo.

Quality of the Spanish League? La Liga has 11 players on the Ballon D'Or Shortlist compared to 3 EPL.

Competitiveness? Over the last 6 years, there has been an average of 65 points between top and bottom in the EPL compared to 56 points in La Liga.

Between 1st and 6th that gap is an average of 25 points La Liga compared to 29 in the EPL.

I love the EPL but you are talking nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    The Ronaldo point is just nonsense, he was injured for a month in 2008 and still got 15+ goals for United, was pivotal in the 3 titles on a trot (not to mention scoring in the Moscow final) and had one of the best scoring records in the club's history. As for Messi, I think he would more than handle his own, there's a lot of cynical and dirty tackling that goes on in the La Liga as well and Messi tends to draw a lot of them but still gets bagfuls of goals. Andy Grey should grow up.

ReputationRep:
    he's got a point, Messi is just a poor man's Gareth Bale

edit; ****ing lol at this website, it says Barcelona are gonna buy Rooney and Torres in January, hahahaha

oh and anyone who doesn't realize i was being sarcastic is a bigger idiot than Andy Grey

ReputationRep:
    He has a point. I mean, no matter how good a player you are, you won't even be able to walk after going through a Ryan-Shawcross-leg-breaking tackle.

ReputationRep:
    So teams like stock/blackburn/sunderland/wolves/fulham/wigan will play with 5/4 defenders and maybe 5 midfields against Barca if they play in EPL. But what if this happens: Against Villareal (Top 4/5 team in La Liga)

I seriously can't believe at those people who think Messi and his team(Barca) would come unstuck at a 'cold Britannia night'. If they can keep around 75% of possession at Emirates, then what makes you think anything >75% won't be possible against stock, etc.... :facepalm: And I don't need to say what can happen if Barca has around 3/4 of the possession.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    He has a point. I mean, no matter how good a player you are, you won't even be able to walk after going through a Ryan-Shawcross-leg-breaking tackle.
    Haven't you seen this break-taking goal - Firstly he showed tremendous strength to get past the 1st player and when it was 00:32 - 00:35 he showed how you dodge those 'Shawcross's' tackles.

I watch La Liga matches of Barcelona's quite alot of times and its quite frequent for him to score those goal shown in the 1st video.

ReputationRep:
    messi's good but he's still way overrated.

ReputationRep:
    Fact's prove that La Liga is a much tighter league than the EPL so any argument about sides being weaker is totally irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    Barca would have no hope, I mean have you ever seen them play well in the -40* North of England, it's practically the Artic? The Stoke defence is far superior to that of Utd and Chelsea who Barca have beaten in recent years. Meanwhile Barca would have no hope at the back, have Pique or Puyol ever headed a ball in their life?

The EPL has been a joke this season, the quality has been dreadful, just Andy Gray talking more **** tbh

ReputationRep:
    The only thing more nauseating and pathetic than Andy Gray's tactical wisdom is the number of idiots in this country who hang on to his every word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Barca would have no hope, I mean have you ever seen them play well in the -40* North of England, it's practically the Artic? The Stoke defence is far superior to that of Utd and Chelsea who Barca have beaten in recent years. Meanwhile Barca would have no hope at the back, have Pique or Puyol ever headed a ball in their life?

The EPL has been a joke this season, the quality has been dreadful, just Andy Gray talking more **** tbh
    Additionally, Chelsea beat Aston Villa 7-1 last year-supposedly one of the EPL's top six teams. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    I see where he is coming from because in Spain players stand off a lot more than here so he would struggle more. Ronaldo managed to do well because he had a good team around him and pace which messi doesnt have.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly he's wrong, he'd be a top player wherever he went.

On a side note, I played as Celtic on last years' Fifa. It's great, every game there's an awkward moment where he grits his teeth and unconvincingly says something like 'the late great Jock Stein, uhh 10 consecutive Scottish Titles - great achievement....and uhh yeah obviously they're up there with Rangers....'

ReputationRep:
    Andy Gray is a daft fat baldy **** that looks like frasier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackthevillain)
    I see where he is coming from because in Spain players stand off a lot more than here so he would struggle more. Ronaldo managed to do well because he had a good team around him and pace which messi doesnt have.
    If you think Messi doesn't have pace, watch his goal against Zaragoza (I think) a couple of months ago. Yes, he's not electric, but he's got a relatively quick acceleration that makes him hard to deal with-it's one of the facets that make him such a good dribbler.

Only an utter moron (looking at you, Andy Grey) would say he's got the same pace/acceleration as Ronaldo, Bale, Walcott and Lennon, but he's got a decent turn of pace that would leave Shawcross and Huth for dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jit987)
    Haven't you seen this break-taking goal - Firstly he showed tremendous strength to get past the 1st player and when it was 00:32 - 00:35 he showed how you dodge those 'Shawcross's' tackles.

I watch La Liga matches of Barcelona's quite alot of times and its quite frequent for him to score those goal shown in the 1st video.
    This goal is so good I think I might need to change my trousers. :drool:

ReputationRep:
    Did Andy Gray ever say that Messi ''couldnt cope'' though? I've skipped the pages, but I remember watching him live when he spoke about messi and recall him saying something along the lines about how it would be nice to see how he copes against defences like stoke. Thats a good point to make, really.. I don't think he wrote him off there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolarElephant)
    Andy Grey should stick to FIFA

Noooo! he shouldn't stick to anything!
    Him on Fifa is the single most annoying thing ever.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 3, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.