Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Terrible signal on iPhone? Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonCha)
    Perhaps you haven't read through the thread, but it's more than a coincidence that people are consistently saying that 'You're holding it wrong' and this is coincidentally what was the favourite go-to meme when Antennagate came around.

Second point: I jumped on the bandwagon... even though I made an informed decision. At that time there was no phone that in terms of hardware matched the iPhone 4 and, arguably, still is no such phone. This isn't opinion, this is fact. Check reputable blogs and you'll see the same result.

And do I live so close to a signal tower? I'll give you my address so, you know, you can look it up if you're so confident.
    Hardware:

Camera: N8>>>Galaxy S>Desire HD>>iPhone 4
    Cpu/GPU: Galaxy S~Desire HD>>iPhone 4
    Screen: Galaxy S >>iPhone 4 >>Desire HD
    Audio: Desire HD >> iPhone 4
    Data Speeds: Desire HD >> iPhone 4
    Ram: Desire HD >> iPhone 4

Maybe at the time there wasn't any but the iPhone 4 in terms of hardware doesn't come top in any major categories.

ReputationRep:
    I have this too, although mine is 3GS.

always have 1 bar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Hardware:

Camera: N8>>>Galaxy S>Desire HD>>iPhone 4
    Cpu/GPU: Galaxy S~Desire HD>>iPhone 4
    Screen: Galaxy S >>iPhone 4 >>Desire HD

Maybe at the time there wasn't any but the iPhone 4 in terms of hardware does come top in any major categories.
    Camera: Fair play.
    CPU: Doubtful. iPhone is so smooth and so efficent, that I really haven't seen any phone that has surpassed (which include my Nexus S, and that is fast).
    Screen: iPhone has the best resolution by a margin ATM.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Camera: Fair play.
    CPU: Doubtful. iPhone is so smooth and so efficent, that I really haven't seen any phone that has surpassed (which include my Nexus S, and that is fast).
    Screen: iPhone has the best resolution by a margin ATM.
    Raw CPU & GPU power the iPhones isn't the most powerful. To be honest the iPhone has an easy ride it has no widgets or homescreens sucking cpu power so it's no surprise it's the smoothest. Smoothness would come more under OS than hardware.

Here's a graphically comparison.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you haven't read through the thread, but it's more than a coincidence that people are consistently saying that 'You're holding it wrong' and this is coincidentally what was the favourite go-to meme when Antennagate came around.

Second point: I jumped on the bandwagon... even though I made an informed decision. At that time there was no phone that in terms of hardware matched the iPhone 4 and, arguably, still is no such phone. This isn't opinion, this is fact. Check reputable blogs and you'll see the same result.

And do I live so close to a signal tower? I'll give you my address so, you know, you can look it up if you're so confident.
    If the iPhone 4 was so great you shouldn't have to be defending it in threads such as this one. Great hardware speaks for itself without people having to constantly defend their decision to purchase it.

That signal tower thing was a joke, I don't want your address and I'd advise you to restrain from distributing it on the internet in the future.

I'm sorry for making you angry. I don't like arguments .

If I had the money for an iPhone 4, and actually liked using mobile phones then I'd buy one. I just don't like it when people think it's the greatest thing ever conceived. I'm not Apple bashing, but people shouldn't have had so much trust in the phone before it was even tested, queuing up to (in some cases) be disappointed.

Apologies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam_G)
    If the iPhone 4 was so great you shouldn't have to be defending it in threads such as this one. Great hardware speaks for itself without people having to constantly defend their decision to purchase it.

That signal tower thing was a joke, I don't want your address and I'd advise you to restrain from distributing it on the internet in the future.

I'm sorry for making you angry. I don't like arguments .

If I had the money for an iPhone 4, and actually liked using mobile phones then I'd buy one. I just don't like it when people think it's the greatest thing ever conceived. I'm not Apple bashing, but people shouldn't have had so much trust in the phone before it was even tested, queuing up to (in some cases) be disappointed.

Apologies
    It does speak for itself: sales of something like 14 million units. Further, depsite this whole saga sales are not stagnating.

ReputationRep:
    It does speak for itself: sales of something like 14 million units. Further, depsite this whole saga sales are not stagnating.
    Which is a bit of a shame... don't you think :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Apart from the fact it does have phone functionality, and it works perfectly well.
    As I said, it gives me better signal than my older phones.

As for the signal "problem":
    1 - at least the way I hold the phone - I never touch the specific point anyway
    2 - who doesn't buy a case for a £500 phone :confused:
    1 - Clearly the OP is having problems, and so if they are running their finger along the side, they may need to hold the handset differently.

2 - Me for a start. Although cases can prevent damage to phones, I tend to find that simply not throwing it about works - I wouldn't get a case for my camera now..

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations, I'm happy that you're signal is just fine, not that you'd expect decent signal on a phone that costs half a grand... my bet is that you live within 12 feet of a mobile phone tower.
    I don't live close to a tower, yet as I said, I get better signal than I did with my other phones. You are jumping on the bandwagon. I bet you haven't even used an iPhone 4. It was the same when Windows Vista was released - so many people who don't know what they are talking about jumping on the bandwagon about it being rubbish, when in reality it wasn't that bad.

ReputationRep:
    I don't live close to a tower, yet as I said, I get better signal than I did with my other phones. You are jumping on the bandwagon. I bet you haven't even used an iPhone 4. It was the same when Windows Vista was released - so many people who don't know what they are talking about jumping on the bandwagon about it being rubbish, when in reality it wasn't that bad.
    I have used an iPhone 4, but it had one of those awful rubber cases on, so I couldn't really comment on the signal. I'm not saying it's rubbish, I'm saying that it a bit ironic that a phone which costs so much money, isn't particularly good at phoning people (not in all cases, I know).

I like Apple products, they're undoubtedly overpriced.... but stylish nonetheless.

I don't see how I'm jumping on bandwagons. The guy is having trouble with his phone, and I'm just saying that a lot of people have, it may not be an issue for you but you can't deny that it isn't an issue for a lot of other customers.

Vista = slow and fiddly. Unintuitive and almost impersonal. People don't like change... and XP was good for a long time. It wasn't as bad once people adjusted, but still....

I have tried these products, I'm not making this all up.

Merry Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    i've had this problem with the iphone 4 when i got it, i've also had it with an lg phone, you need to take the phone back to where you bought it from and ask it to be repaired or replaced, you've probably got a faulty phone just like i had, once they replaced mine the signal was fine on the new one. it's just bad luck ¬.¬ they'll replace it for free obviously as it is under warranty for a year and it's a manufacturing fault.

ReputationRep:
    I have used an iPhone 4, but it had one of those awful rubber cases on, so I couldn't really comment on the signal. I'm not saying it's rubbish, I'm saying that it a bit ironic that a phone which costs so much money, isn't particularly good at phoning people (not in all cases, I know).

I like Apple products, they're undoubtedly overpriced.... but stylish nonetheless.

I don't see how I'm jumping on bandwagons. The guy is having trouble with his phone, and I'm just saying that a lot of people have, it may not be an issue for you but you can't deny that it isn't an issue for a lot of other customers.

Vista = slow and fiddly. Unintuitive and almost impersonal. People don't like change... and XP was good for a long time. It wasn't as bad once people adjusted, but still....

I have tried these products, I'm not making this all up.

Merry Christmas.
    I'm not going to carry on as its clear we just won't agree.
    As I have said, I have an iPhone 4, and with or without a case, the signal is better than any phone I've had in the past (and I live in a place where coverage for all networks isn't that great).

As for Vista, the problems it had were mainly down to higher requirements, OEM's putting it on underpowered hardware and device drivers. Once those had been sorted, Vista was a better OS than XP (although Win 7 kicks the butt of any Windows OS before it).

Maybe you personally are not jumping on the bandwagon. But so many people are so quick to shoot down a product without even trying it themselves. I've seen people say they won't even try a Windows Phone 7 device in a shop because Win Mo was crap. To me, that attitude is just stupid.

ReputationRep:
    :mmm: < I love that!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to carry on as its clear we just won't agree.
    As I have said, I have an iPhone 4, and with or without a case, the signal is better than any phone I've had in the past (and I live in a place where coverage for all networks isn't that great).

As for Vista, the problems it had were mainly down to higher requirements, OEM's putting it on underpowered hardware and device drivers. Once those had been sorted, Vista was a better OS than XP (although Win 7 kicks the butt of any Windows OS before it).

Maybe you personally are not jumping on the bandwagon. But so many people are so quick to shoot down a product without even trying it themselves. I've seen people say they won't even try a Windows Phone 7 device in a shop because Win Mo was crap. To me, that attitude is just stupid.
    I'm sorry we don't agree. I don't like arguments .
    You seem to know what you're talking about though, so I'll take your word for it .

You're right... that is stupid

Believe it or not, I still haven't actually tried Windows 7 yet , but it sounds decent.
    I'm not condemning iPhones btw, they look and feel amazing... I just don't like the fact that people have blind faith in products like that, and don't get what they expect for the huge price tag.

ReputationRep:
    2 - who doesn't buy a case for a £500 phone :confused:
    I didn't. I don't see the point of buying a well designed product and then wrapping it up in a condom.

If you keep your phone in your pocket with no other things in the same pocket, and don't drop it, I don't see why you'd need a case (other than signal problems).

The case cost like £1.00

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.