Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are your parents still in love with one another? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Are your parents still in love?
    Yes.
    30.53%
    No.
    38.17%
    I don't know.
    11.45%
    I hope so.
    8.02%
    My parents were never in love.
    11.83%

ReputationRep:
    My Dad makes life hell for my mum, I'm surprised she still stays with him. She probably does it so that she doesn't ruin the 'reputation' of the family. I don't know anyone that could stand to live with my Dad, I'm pretty sure no-one loves him.

ReputationRep:
    Why is this thread making making me hate the world?

ReputationRep:
    Serious post: My parents literally troll eachother behind their own backs. "Money, money, money, money"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billa Bong)
    i think so judging from the sounds coming from their room at night http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/imag...es/curious.gif
    but yeah seems like they still are...just celebrated their 20th anniversary this september
    I accidently negged your post. I'll pos you twice later to make up for it. Xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billa Bong)
    i think so judging from the sounds coming from their room at night http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/imag...es/curious.gif
    Same. It's really distressing actually. I can't wait to leave.

But actually I really doubt my parents are in love. My dad stays up really late most nights, smoking pot and getting completely wasted. My mum really resents him. she says he's a hippy who never grew up -.- She will literally go a week without saying one word to him, she's that good at holding a grudge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shygirl92)
    I accidently negged your post. I'll pos you twice later to make up for it. Xx
    okeys...no worries
    but seriously do leave some pos later

ReputationRep:
    mine are divorced. they split when i was 4 cos they were arguing a lot apparently(didnt really noticce much as i was young and they hid it well for sake of me and sister) and they then tried again when i was about 10 but it didnt work out so split again after a year or so. i wouldnt say they hated each other though. for a long time they didnt really get on but stayed civil to each other and didnt bad-mouth each other around us for sake of me and my sister but wouldnt say they were that friendly still, but they can spend time together for sake of us (like sisters 21st) but other than that they dont really see/talk to each other much anymore with us being older and therefore not having to discuss things like childcare support or who's having us when as we sort ouyt plans with them ourselves.

theyre both happily remarried though (very close to my step-mum, not so much my step-dad) and seem to love theyre new partners, and while my dad and stepmum went through a rough patch a few months ago they all seem pretty happy now.

ReputationRep:
    I think so, they get on really well still. Even though they drive each other mad sometimes, they always make each other laugh and even though they may have disagreements about things, I wouldn't say they argued.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booksnob)
    Same. It's really distressing actually. I can't wait to leave.
    yeah i actually go downstairs whilst they are at it or watch a movie or something...cos i really can't go to sleep with all the racket :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gutterflower_19)
    My mum and stepdad were on the brink of divorce for about four years or so. They are still together, but live completely separate lives. I think it's a real case of staying together for the kids (i've got two younger siblings).
    Mum has told me, and means it genuinely as opposed to just in a fit of anger, not to get married, that it's really not worth it. It kind of depresses me, especially when i see friends' parents still looking like they at least enjoy each other's company. Hmmm...
    I think it's also difficult at their age, and if it's (i'm assuming) a second marriage because you don't want to lool like you failed again. Women seem to think that they are now all old and unattractive, which is awful. I know a lot of 40+ women stuck in unhappy marriages. It's better to be single and content than stuck like that. I'm speaking about members of my own fam,
    Not you!!! x

ReputationRep:
    Judging from the sounds I hear at night, yes :dry:

A little too much actually :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    Not at all.

ReputationRep:
    Mine never did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f00ddude)
    well, if not, im pretty sure my mums love of my dads money will be enough
    Your internet speed begs to differ.

ReputationRep:
    well im asian, so i cant be too sure if they are or not lol. but they've been married for 32 yrs now with 4 kids and theyre still happy together

ReputationRep:
    Yes. 30 Year Anniversary last month! Woo :]

ReputationRep:
    I'd say yes, as much as ever.
    They still have the teasing and trust eachother vehemently.
    They fall asleep on eachother on the sofa at night :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hash007)
    My Dad makes life hell for my mum, I'm surprised she still stays with him. She probably does it so that she doesn't ruin the 'reputation' of the family. I don't know anyone that could stand to live with my Dad, I'm pretty sure no-one loves him.
    Classic example. And there's no showing your mum how much better off she is without him, and how much she really is worth. It's horrid. I bet if your mum was someone else, she'd not bear your fathers crap. Your dad should appreciate what a patient and self-depreciating wife he has. Silently suffering is a torture he would never understand let alone be able to bear.

Make your mum proud and happy. Do for her what your father couldn't. Learn from your parents and treat your wife like you wanted your mum to be treated.

Eww i sound like a bossy old granny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Your internet speed begs to differ.
    Beat me to it, darn.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I don't really know. But just had their 24th wedding anniversary

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.