Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why the **** are people so concerned that their exams are more difficult? Oxbridge are not stupid, they will know very well what happens in other countries and how their education system works.

If our A is 80% and your A is 86% then surely you could draw from that that your exam is easier, but then the grade boundaries are raised to let the same percentage of people get As, its not rocket science.

Geez if you have an offer from either Oxbridge university, just do your utter best to get the grades and if you don't get them, don't be a *****.

Good luck n that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    It's a fallacy that people only take subjects they like.
    yes but they can!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moritzplatz)
    yes but they can!
    Just as you have the liberty to enjoy the subjects imposed upon you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Circadian_Rhythm)
    Why the **** are people so concerned that their exams are more difficult? Oxbridge are not stupid, they will know very well what happens in other countries and how their education system works.

If our A is 80% and your A is 86% then surely you could draw from that that your exam is easier, but then the grade boundaries are raised to let the same percentage of people get As, its not rocket science.

Geez if you have an offer from either Oxbridge university, just do your utter best to get the grades and if you don't get them, don't be a *****.

Good luck n that.
    And again, its not, i have sat the A-Levels, and its definetly a lower level, less asked for. Our percentage is only higher because we are aksed for more, but on the other side universitys can make sure that we are good enough to cope with the complete different circumstances and language etc. Obviusly its a complete different system, it isnt orientated at english grades etc... And even the difficulty of the abitur differs within germany, so i suppose its rather difficult haven average requirements.
    but doesn't matter, no point in arguing there is only on thing left for us: revision!

ReputationRep:
    Just as you have the liberty to enjoy the subjects imposed upon you.
    Thankfully I do, makes it alot easier. Because learing different stuff is just interesting!

ReputationRep:
    I am pretty happy with my unconditional offer :P

by the way: Oxbridge do know what they want, they know that in France 18/20 in the Baccalaureat is amazing, whereas AAA is fairly okay and relatively easy to achieve, and 1,0 IS really impressive, that's why they ask for 1,5 or better in the German Abitur and 16/20 in the Bac... :P
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    ok,
    i ask because when i was there i heard about some people with AAA offers that still got in with AAB...
    maybe i misunderstood
    We're unique and you shouldn't count on this at all :cool:

If you're genuinely concerned and can prove to Oxford that they're asking something unrealistic (and I mean have hard evidence to prove), then contact them once the offices reopen after the Christmas break. You'd be a muppet to think this but sit there doing nothing, presuming they might let you in. I never set out to get AAB, after all :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    We're unique and you shouldn't count on this at all :cool:

If you're genuinely concerned and can prove to Oxford that they're asking something unrealistic (and I mean have hard evidence to prove), then contact them once the offices reopen after the Christmas break. You'd be a muppet to think this but sit there doing nothing, presuming they might let you in. I never set out to get AAB, after all :nah:
    nothing is impossible, there are people that takes 100\100 every year.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    nothing is impossible, there are people that takes 100\100 every year.
    I've absolutely no idea what this means or refers to. Could you be a bit clearer?

Edit: If I'm right in thinking you're saying that you might get taken anyway, sure. I'm just saying you're a complete **** if you're gonna rely on this :yes:

If you genuinely believe the offer is unreasonable and can prove it, then contact the college asap. Otherwise if you fail to get in and are justly turned away, you'll have no one to blame other than yourself :yes:

ReputationRep:

100% agree. that's why Oxford asks for less than a "German A". There are about 0.6% people who achieve 1.0 << Best possible grade. I dont know how many people get AAA but it has to be a considerably higher percentage - again, that's why Oxford asks for 1.5 (to speak in English terms: B)

Our best grade is 96% (15 points, = A*), something like an A would be 91%, however you cant interfere that our exams are easier since not every country has the same proportion of students who achieve the best grade. I am, by the way, convinced that your system is fairly stupid. it would be way easier to distinguish good from bad students if your exams were harder and therefor not "everybody" achieved AAA ...

ReputationRep:
    I've absolutely no idea what this means or refers to. Could you be a bit clearer?

Edit: If I'm right in thinking you're saying that you might get taken anyway, sure. I'm just saying you're a complete **** if you're gonna rely on this :yes:

If you genuinely believe the offer is unreasonable and can prove it, then contact the college asap. Otherwise if you fail to get in and are justly turned away, you'll have no one to blame other than yourself :yes:
    i was just saying that it's not impossible for me to get that grade!
    it will be hard, but oxford is a good university so it's obvious that they want us to work hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Assassnum)
    100% agree. that's why Oxford asks for less than a "German A". There are about 0.6% people who achieve 1.0 << Best possible grade. I dont know how many people get AAA but it has to be a considerably higher percentage - again, that's why Oxford asks for 1.5 (to speak in English terms: B)

Our best grade is 96% (15 points, = A*), something like an A would be 91%, however you cant interfere that our exams are easier since not every country has the same proportion of students who achieve the best grade. I am, by the way, convinced that your system is fairly stupid. it would be way easier to distinguish good from bad students if your exams were harder and therefor not "everybody" achieved AAA ...
    Roughly 17.5% of people get AAA. So, immediately, that's not even close to everybody.

Then, take away people who get AAA in subjects Oxford don't recognise and we're probably around the 12% range.

And then, we get interviewed. It's a fine system. I wouldn't go around Oxford saying how hard it was in comparision for you to gain entry compared to others, as if I met you, I would tell you to jog on and focus on your degree.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    i was just saying that it's not impossible for me to get that grade!
    it will be hard, but oxford is a good university so it's obvious that they want us to work hard!
    Well if it's possible, just do your best to get it! If you don't get it it's a shame but likeliness is you will have to go somewhere else instead. Simple as that really and no need to make a thread about it :p:

A postgrad on here got an offer from Cambridge which was literally impossible to get. He pointed it out and it was adjusted accordingly. I thought you're situation was something similar. Clearly not :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Well if it's possible, just do your best to get it! If you don't get it it's a shame but likeliness is you will have to go somewhere else instead. Simple as that really and no need to make a thread about it :p:

A postgrad on here got an offer from Cambridge which was literally impossible to get. He pointed it out and it was adjusted accordingly. I thought you're situation was something similar. Clearly not :cool:
    yes, i'm going to do my best!
    sorry for having posted this thread, it was just a doubt, but i obviously can't rely on this...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    No worries, your initial post was just a bit misleading that's all!

ReputationRep:
    Roughly 17.5% of people get AAA. So, immediately, that's not even close to everybody.

Then, take away people who get AAA in subjects Oxford don't recognise and we're probably around the 12% range.

And then, we get interviewed. It's a fine system. I wouldn't go around Oxford saying how hard it was in comparision for you to gain entry compared to others, as if I met you, I would tell you to jog on and focus on your degree.
    well, I think that 12% are pretty much for "the best grade possible" (I dont care about A* since Oxford doesnt care about them ) and clearly way more than, for example the 0.6 % who get 1.0. I dont say that the interview system is a bad system. I just say that it would be easier for the VERY gifted/talented students to distinguish themselves from the "rest" if the range of grades left more room for exceptional people. Although I am aware that grades cant cover all of one's academic capability I think it is important to give grades at least SOME relevance .. that's why I like the Oxford system: grades AND interviews. and still it would be easier if grades mattered more .. we wouldn't need the TSA, BMAT, ELAT, HAT, PAT ...

and, yes, I think that a grade that is achieved by 12-18% of all pupils has NO RELEVANCE for an institution like Oxford ...

ReputationRep:
    i think grades (At least for math) count very little.

some friends of mine have no talent for math but they still get A* in math.

The MAT is a great test, i think that's the only way oxford can be sure not to interview inadequate persons.

ReputationRep:
    Is that the standard offer for your qualification that Oxford usually gives? While they only really give AAA offers to A-Level people, the offer for IB and other qualifications do fluctuate depending on whether they want to give an applicant an easy or hard offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Assassnum)
    well, I think that 12% are pretty much for "the best grade possible" (I dont care about A* since Oxford doesnt care about them ) and clearly way more than, for example the 0.6 % who get 1.0. I dont say that the interview system is a bad system. I just say that it would be easier for the VERY gifted/talented students to distinguish themselves from the "rest" if the range of grades left more room for exceptional people. Although I am aware that grades cant cover all of one's academic capability I think it is important to give grades at least SOME relevance .. that's why I like the Oxford system: grades AND interviews. and still it would be easier if grades mattered more .. we wouldn't need the TSA, BMAT, ELAT, HAT, PAT ...

and, yes, I think that a grade that is achieved by 12-18% of all pupils has NO RELEVANCE for an institution like Oxford ...
    Oxford do recognise the A* in people who have already achieved them; no university pays any attention to A* predictions though

ReputationRep:

Good luck n that.
    I'm sorry, but that's just not true. My offer was so easy, I didn't have to do a thing after December. Also, during my interview they asked me questions on my education system. There were several other Dutch people being interviewed, I talked to them, we all got asked different questions which together covered almost everything, which means they knew very little. They know A-levels and IB, but it's simply not possible for each tutor (and they decide on the conditions) to know all the different weird systems in Europe, let alone the world. It just means they are human, but it also means sometimes mistakes are made in the difficulty of offers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.