Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

tis crazy. i was hoovering near his room last week and i felt dizzy/lightheaded from the smell..even though he left the week before!

really wish his girlfriend would say something. or just someone blurts it out while drunk or something

ReputationRep:
    I know someone like that at my Uni, luckily I'm not living with him. I think an industrial strength cleaner could be the answer, depending on how bad the smell is, either you'll get rid of the smell completely or replace it with the smell of burning flesh, it might be a win-win in your case.
    Or find a female hobo who smells similar (make sure she's going to be the one wearing the trousers in the relationship), they'll hopefully fall in love and he'll move out onto the street.
    Or throw a party, ask the people if they can smell something disgusting and maybe they'll break the news that he smells like a pile of rotten rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    It does sound like a medical problem. I think the most sensible and non-bullying way of dealing with this is to sit down with him and ask him if he has a problem and how he is currently treating it? Explain it's making things difficult for you and not to be offended if he sees you spraying stuff or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loonylottie)
    Give him deodorant/soap for Christmas? xx
    Was going to suggest the exact same thing.

Smelly people don't realise it before someone mentions it.

(eek.. maybe im smelly too!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    'what does he smell like?'

id have to say a combination of cheese, sweat and the pig hearts we dissected in year 9..

its really very rotteny...perhaps old garbage

also, after he showers. he still smells...so maybe it is a medical problem
    Are you on friendly terms?

If this were my friend I would clear their room, launder the clothes & make reminders of them to shower - naturally this only works if you're friends & it's not criticism...

you might think wtf though at the end of the day you'll be getting what you want...

(Original post by semiotically)
    Are you on friendly terms?

If this were my friend I would clear their room, launder the clothes & make reminders of them to shower - naturally this only works if you're friends & it's not criticism...

you might think wtf though at the end of the day you'll be getting what you want...
    sort of, havent known each other long. if it was a closer friend id have no problem saying it, but he's just this grumpy smelly guy who i can imagine getting grumpier and smellier if we confront him...

we can maybe make a new years resolution to do a intervention :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    Wash it with Febreze.
    Fresh!

ReputationRep:
    tis crazy. i was hoovering near his room last week and i felt dizzy/lightheaded from the smell..even though he left the week before!

really wish his girlfriend would say something. or just someone blurts it out while drunk or something
    Its inevitable :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Is it him or is it that he doesn't wash his clothes? Sometimes boys rooms at uni have that kind of rodent smell, because they never hoover/dust or wash their clothes so they have sweaty socks and boxes lying around (and sheets that they never wash either)

Although whilst girls like to take the moral high ground, girls rooms have a distinctive girl smell to them, I'm not saying its bad, just there's a distinctive smell of girl, you can pick it up if you stay over and have slept in their rooms, when you wake up, there's a different chemistry in the pheremones of their sweat I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    go for a turd and smear it all over yourself and then run into his room shouting like a red indian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    im far too blunt to be of any use subtlely isnt my strong point. Id ask does he have any medical condition that makes him smell like a STD ridden sweaty ballsack (cos you never know) then id tell him to take a shower or il dump a bucket of melted snow over him whilst hes asleep
    You mean water.

ReputationRep:
    the strangest of all is that he's had a girlfriend for years, i dont understand how she can go anywhere near him.

maybe she has no sense of smell? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    anonymous letter? or tell his girlfriend perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Get someone else there to back you up, preferably the whole flat presenting a united front and say something like

"sorry mate you smell revolting and we can't stand it - will you wash your clothes and shower more often?"

no point beating around the bush :top:
    i lol'd.. brilliant

ReputationRep:
    I'm usually not an expert on these matters, Im thinking but somebody's gonna get shot.

ReputationRep:
    shoot him and throw him out of the house.....:damnmate:

ReputationRep:
    You could wash his clothes for him when he's out and return them to the same place they were before he went out so he doesnt notice and also spray his room with febreeze or something when he's out, if he asks why just say you were doing it to all the rooms cause there is a weird smell that won't go away :P

Obviously you shouldn't have to wash his clothes though

I'd just say "look, I don't wanna be mean but you kinda smell, it's not THAT bad but it's noticable and it's not just me who can smell it, I just thought i'd tell you so you can do something about it"

or lock him out the flat xD

ReputationRep:
    ok my flatmate is quite possibly the worst smelling thing in existence. theres 5 of us in our flat and we've all gradually become overcome by the smell. he can be in the other room and the smell will infiltrate through doors..walls...streets

:soap:

the strangest of all is that he's had a girlfriend for years, i dont understand how she can go anywhere near him. he smells like he's rotting inside. he was gonna live with her but she moved into halls, so we're definitely stuck with him for another year at least.

how does one go about bringing it up in the least horrible way? he's pretty stubborn so might not even do anything about it.

anyone else suffer the same problem?
    By him a deodorant set for Xmas!

ReputationRep:
    Bed bath him while he's asleep. Might be hard to explain if he wakes up, but cross that bridge when you come to it.

ReputationRep:
    If you can get into his room one time... buy a load of soap and cover his whole floor, bed and everything with soap!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.