Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swimmer)
    It says conditional on the basis that i prove my qualifications they said they will change it to unconditional as soon as i do that.

Im worried now...
    With spelling like you've got you're right to be.

ReputationRep:
    It can be changed yes, I had unsucessful changed to conditional

Back to my case, I mean i wasnt exactly rude i was just upset. They basically adressed the confirmation letter to my brother (so they got my name wrong), they even managed to mispell my brothers first name and they also got the applicant number wrong...do i have a case or im just pathetic?
    Well, you're a bit of a prick.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I wrote an email to Northampton uni admission team explaining how dissapointed I am with the mistakes they made, how it feels like they dont give a damm. They allready gave me unconditional, can they change it now after reading my email?
    Are you going to tell us why you think they do not give a dam?

I am confused.

EDIT: OOpsss sorry I just read your post above.. :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

Back to my case, I mean i wasnt exactly rude i was just upset. They basically adressed the confirmation letter to my brother (so they got my name wrong), they even managed to mispell my brothers first name and they also got the applicant number wrong...do i have a case or im just pathetic?
    Did your brother apply to the same uni for the same course by any chance? If yes then it might be your brother's letter. If he does not apply then I am surprised how they even know your brother's name - the names are that similar really? :P How rude was the email?

Oh well, I dont think they will do anything as they already give you the offer. The offer made based on their view that you have the ability to study the course. I don't think they will just turn around and cancel your offer just because of what you sent to them. However, as other have said - it would give a really bad impression but I don't think you should worry if they were the one making mistake.

But still, to answer your last question in the quote - You have the case but also are pathetic.. :P Sorry.

But hey, I doubt you will see the admission person everyday at the uni anyway... :P Don't worry too much.

Maybe the letter was for your brother?

ReputationRep:
      You are pathetic.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by morecambebay)
      Maybe the letter was for your brother?
      (Original post by street.lovin')
      Did your brother apply to the same uni for the same course by any chance? If yes then it might be your brother's letter. If he does not apply then I am surprised how they even know your brother's name - the names are that similar really? :P How rude was the email?

Oh well, I dont think they will do anything as they already give you the offer. The offer made based on their view that you have the ability to study the course. I don't think they will just turn around and cancel your offer just because of what you sent to them. However, as other have said - it would give a really bad impression but I don't think you should worry if they were the one making mistake.

But still, to answer your last question in the quote - You have the case but also are pathetic.. :P Sorry.

But hey, I doubt you will see the admission person everyday at the uni anyway... :P Don't worry too much.
      His brother goes to the same uni already, but for a different course.

And admissions tutor for my course also does quite a lot of lectures.

ReputationRep:
      Oh dear... couldn't you have just let the error go? You've just made yourself look like a right tool (no offence) though I understand your reasoning. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by clad in armour)
      why are people saying they cant change it, I had an unsuccesful changed to a conditional, surely it can work the other way round?
      How did you do that?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Delaney)
      Afaik, an unconditional offer is only legally binding (for the University) once you have accepted the offer.
      Yeah, this sounds right. After that I don't think they can change it, unless you gave false info on the application.

I agree though, if you had an offer, there wasn't really any need to complain. If you'd lost an offer over their mistake, that would be a different matter.

ReputationRep:
      I wrote an email to Northampton uni admission team explaining how dissapointed I am with the mistakes they made, how it feels like they dont give a damm. They allready gave me unconditional, can they change it now after reading my email?
      Everyone does things they regret in the heat of the moment. I remember how many emails I sent to admissions depts (about 10!!) because the wait is unbearable and I got really stressed and worried. Lets think that they have perhaps thousands of people's applications to look over and accept/reject, and so no, dont worry, they wont hold a small thing like that against you. These are professional mature adults who have years and years of experience of dealing with prospective new students. Chin up and move on, congratulations on getting an offer you are very lucky indeed.

ReputationRep:
      My probable firm called me Robbie on the email telling me I have an offer. I'm not even male. I just thought it was funny and didn't give it another thought. Does it seriously matter so much that you feel the need to email them about it?

ReputationRep:
      I think maybe I will ring them up on their first day back and ecplain the situation?

ReputationRep:
      No, they can't change your offer now but they will think you're a whiny little *****.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by rebekaht)
      My probable firm called me Robbie on the email telling me I have an offer. I'm not even male. I just thought it was funny and didn't give it another thought. Does it seriously matter so much that you feel the need to email them about it?
      I dont want them having wrong details on the system...I mean getting an applicant number wrong is pretty big no?

I was just kind of angry but ofcourse now I regret it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by clad in armour)
      why are people saying they cant change it, I had an unsuccesful changed to a conditional, surely it can work the other way round?
      No. If he accepts the offer then they certainly can't cancel it. It is a contract.

They can if he has lied in his personal statement or lied about qualifications but not for writing a rude email.

Some universities have been known to give conditional offers, the student choses said university and meets the offer, only to find that the university is oversubscribed and the student is pushed into starting the year after instead. This happened last year with Exeter (I think). But the student still has an offer and it remains an unconditional offer.

I think maybe I will ring them up on their first day back and ecplain the situation?
      If it would put your mind at rest but I wouldn't bother. It's unlikely that they really care or remember your name. People can be rude and people receive rude emails and telephone calls. It's not pleasant but that's life. It happens. I'm sure even if the admissions tutor did care at the time then he (or she) will soon get over it. They have other things to concern themselves with.

I'd just leave it and let it pass. Save further embarrassment on both sides.

Although sending the email wasn't a diplomatic thing to do I really think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

ReputationRep:
      bloody hell, just leave it.

ReputationRep:
      As if they will care?

I used to get *****y emails when I worked in a uni. All you do is say to the other people in your office "ha look at this tool" and have a laugh about it. One time some woman sent me hate mail because she got rejected for a MSc through only having a 2:2 (the entrance requirements were at least a 2:1) and I got this big essay from her saying how bigoted and short sighted I was for not looking at more factors than her grade, how somewhere else had accepted her and she was going to show us that we had made the biggest mistake of our lives etc. I felt like mailing back "OK? LOL" but I just ignored her.

Occasionally you do get cocky undergrads who talk to the admin staff who work in admissions or student support offices like dirt, they think "these are just some admin bimbos", a lot of the time these admin staff are recent graduates of that uni who are doing temporary work while they save up to go travelling or paying for a masters, sometimes you get part time Masters students working in admin departments at a uni.

ReputationRep:
      Just let it go! I doubt they'll care about it anyways
      • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
      If you miss your offer it won't look good if you want them to be more lenient

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.