Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domino0806)
    I was in Berlin this summer. I was offered cocaine by a 60 year old wife of a diplomat in a loo. Twas fun.
    The old women there, like young teenagers. I was followed in the metro by a 50-something year old lady who sat opposite of me so that she could flirt. I couldn't help but smile and avoid eye contact, it was so cute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by There will be Particles)
    It seems like a much happier and better working country than the UK, more family orientated or something but I don't know if that's entirely true.

Do you have any idea?
    it is, functional, clean, hard working, sincere, not oppressive, more family centric, they care more about health, science and medicine, forward looking, efficient, more attractive and create great party music. most importantly doesn't have any fakery involved or try to copy the states.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kristinaalovesu)
    What i don't believe is that, one of my colleague told me that SOME Germans are racist...
    Believe it or not there are SOME racists everywhere in the world.. not just Germany, heard of the BNP, why wouldn't SOME Germans be racist, everyone can have their own opinion whether it be a tad extreme or not.

Anyway I have been to Germany twice, once on an exchange and the second time with just some friends we travelled from Cologne to Hamburg. I love it there, had a really good time and met some nice people
    They also have some good German bands, anyone heard of Jennifer Rostock? (unbelievably cool) I went to 'Rheinkultur' (German music festival in Bonn) a few years back, would definitely go to other German festivals.

Hopefully going to Oktoberfest 2011

ReputationRep:
    In Germany, visitors are treated with respect like guests. This is how most countries are with the exception of a few, like the U.K.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoWZa)
    I went to Germany (Pforzheim) as part of my MSc. It was interesting and the people were helpful, especially when it came to directions. It also seems so liberal! For example, they don't seem to really care about charging passengers money on their public transport system.
    Been to Germany three times, my best friends from school live there. Noticed that about the transport (as well as being uber efficient) but they do have the odd person who comes to check the ticket, and you get fined quite a bit, you have to sprint for it!

Summer can be pretty hot, I reckon thats the best time to go there (and in Berlin you can go swim in the the lakes which are so pretty) you don't really need german at all, though its good to know the basics, and yes the guys are FIT!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zandra25)
    Been
    Awesome. Interestingly enough I think I was recognised as a "foreigner" =P There's also US bases set up there and according to this American woman there are quite a few Americans stationed there. There was quite a bit of snow there which was nice =) And the German girls are pretty hot =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by There will be Particles)
    Has anyone been there?
    I don't know much about it but it seems to appeal to me some how, I'm quite interested in visiting there but I don't speak any German, will this be a big problem for me?
    Do the people seem nice?
    I was there for 10 months on an exchange. I loved it!

Pretty much everyone under the age of 50 will be able to speak some English. If you are lost or stuck and ask a young person, they will be able to help you

Yep, the people are nice. However, if you go to a supermarket, the check out people aren't overly friendly...same goes with (some) ticket checkers on trains. One made me cry. I sat in first class and had no idea and he wouldn't let me walk to the next carriage, but instead fined me 40 Euro

There are lots of things to see and do and there are often festivals happening. Spring and Summer are good times to go, there are flowers, icecream shops everywhere and happy people

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.