Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where can I buy a real fur har/russian style in London? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you're only wearing it for fashion, get faux. Britain is never cold enough to say it's too cold to wear faux fur (as real fur is considerably warmer to wear than faux fur, hence Russian real fur hats) and most high street shops have lovely faux pieces that will keep you pretty warm and not cost as much.

I'm not totally against fur - as i've said just before if it's REALLY cold, then faux fur just doesn't cut it. I would also wear fur if I knew where it came from had cared for and then humanely killed the animal whose fur i'd be wearing, and I think if fur is to remain generally legal it should be law to provide such information.

I am generally a bit sceptical of a lot of PETA PR as well...they use shock tactics, they won't bother to tell you "well actually some fur providers are humane in how they operate) because it won't help their cause. They want everyone to be like ZOMGALLFURISBAD! All the time. Also, foxes are considered vermin - whilst I wouldn't wish a nasty painful death on any animal, their numbers need to be controlled and I don't see why shot foxes couldn't be skinned and used for fur, when they are dead anyways and the fur can be used to keep those in extremely cold climates warm.

*awaits neg rep*

ReputationRep:
    Troll, but yeah, gross.

ReputationRep:
    lool

are you really serious?? the animals are already killed waiting someone to buy them in the shop ..why not be me...poor animal ..not only its been killed but no one wants to buy it !!

no, i want a real fur not because its cold but cuz it LOOKS better than the fake one...simple

but the outcome of the threat is obvious - u wont help/tell me find a hat...ill try ebay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherry_BB)
    lool

are you really serious?? the animals are already killed waiting someone to buy them in the shop ..why not be me...poor animal ..not only its been killed but no one wants to buy it !!

no, i want a real fur not because its cold but cuz it LOOKS better than the fake one...simple

but the outcome of the threat is obvious - u wont help/tell me find a hat...ill try ebay
    It's rare someone makes my blood boil on here but you are coming a wee bit close to the edge!

Fair enough not ALL faux fur is decent, but speaking as someone who has owned real fur and faux fur, 9/10 people cannot tell the difference until they are within touching distance of the furry garment, and feel the difference. Fox fur is easy enough in terms of colour to copy and make look very authentic.

And if animals care about what happens from beyond the grave then by god anyone who had a goldfish as a child is doomed.

ReputationRep:
    Other than the fact it's unbelievably cruel to wear fur... (although some are produced like 'mongolian fur' and marketed as a by product of the meat industry, the meat has very low yeild so their still primarily killed for meat...)

but also wearing a real fur hat will make you reek of wet dog as soon it gets the slightest bit wet.

If you insist on wearing a dead animals body on your head, please buy it second hand so at least an animal hasnt died for it, obviously it still will have died, but ow that's it's dead don't waste it's skin it was murdered for, you may aswell wear fur sustanabilty.... Vintage shops will sell a lot of real fur products like Cossack-style hats, but it's still condierably cheaper to buy a fake acryllic one, I know they do a lot in marks and spencers...

Good, pretty faux fur hat:
    http://www.marksandspencer.com/Marks.../dp/B00437LJQK

Vile, sad hat:
    http://features.peta.org/ChineseFurFarms/
    http://www.scarlet-ribbons.co.uk/vie...dID=1024#photo

ReputationRep:
    Not gonna post on the ethics of fur but there is something great with the world when an anti-fur post receives both pos and neg rep but "Could always put a cat on your head?" receives only thumbs-ups. TSR win.

EDIT: I'm not pro-fur I just think TSR has a strange sense of humour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherry_BB)
    lool

You are an absolute moron. Your stupidity is too shocking. And you are a vile, disgusting human being. You think it's ok to buy fur because the animals already been killed? Hmm, ok then, think of it this way, if people stopped buying real fur then hunters/scum wouldn't need to kill the harmless animals because no-one would want the outcome. You actually disgust me. I hope someone removes your scalp so they can wear it. Ho.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to buy something knowing that an innocent animal had died just for you to make a fashion statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    Why would you want to buy something knowing that an innocent animal had died just for you to make a fashion statement?
    Probably gonna get negged to high heaven for this, but foxes are far from "innocent animals" - they are classified as vermin and are the bane of rural people's lives. It would not bother me in the slightest if a farmer who shot foxes wanted to sell the fur on - the foxes were going to die anyways so it would be worse to waste fur that can be used to keep people who genuinely need it, warm.

I don't agree with fur farms for animals like chinchilla, but I would have no problem with farmers selling fashion houses furs from foxes they had killed.

(I'd also like to point out I don't agree with fur for fashion - fur should be for necessity only)

ReputationRep:
    What's the ethical stance if it's an eighty year old fur coat you've inherited/bought second hand?

1) Find a Russian with a hairy back and shave him.
      2) Glue the hair together on a leather jacket of yours.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Potiron)
      What's the ethical stance if it's an eighty year old fur coat you've inherited/bought second hand?
      Don't have a problem with that - second hand means that someone in the fur trade these days is not killing an animal to make the coat. I'd prefer personally to know it was made with ethics in mind and the animals didn't suffer, but that's hard to come by info for a second hand coat.

ReputationRep:
      I accidentally bought a real fur hat in Copenhagen ): I didn't realise it was real at the time of purchasing, it was only when I googled the brand when I got home to see if they did any other items of clothing. I was devastated at first, but then decided that I'm morally clear as I did not buy it knowing it was real fur, so I have decided to enjoy the hat so that the animal didn't die in vain (:

But yeah, only places I can think of would be places like Selfridges, Harrods, Liberty in the West End.

ReputationRep:
      Why does it have to be real fur? I bet most of the ones being worn by people on the high street are faux fur anyway.

ReputationRep:
      There's a vintage shop in Spitalfields called Absolute Vintage and they often have real russian fur hats from the 70's and in perfect nick too. Not too pricey either.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mathew551)
      Urgh, why real fur? Vile.

You should wear a synthetic substitute. Surprisingly, hardly anyone wears real fur nowadays, because they've seen past the bogus, selfish aesthetic barrier.
      So it's better to buy a synthetic substitute sewn together by an 8 year old slave in Thailand than a real fur item?

ReputationRep:
      Depends how much you can spend. Harrod's probably has it. Otherwise, you should go online.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2012
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.