Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSRBC -- January '11 Watch

• View Poll Results: What book do you want TSR to read?
    24.44%
    The Book Thief
    17.78%
    A Case of Exploding Mangoes
    4.44%
    The Handmaid's Tale
    2.22%
    Heart of Darkness
    33.33%
    To The Lighthouse
    4.44%
    Villette
    2.22%
    A Thousand Splendid Suns
    8.89%
    The Killing Jar
    0%
    The Pillowman
    2.22%

ReputationRep:
    Excited for this. Although I think I'll miss out for the first month. As I've read all of these except heart of darkness

(Original post by tillytots)
      Excited for this. Although I think I'll miss out for the first month. As I've read all of these except heart of darkness
      Let's hope Heart of Darkness goes into the lead. :yep:

ReputationRep:
      I voted 1984. :proud:
      • Political Ambassador
      • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
      The results are dissapointingly predictable :facepalm2:
      • Political Ambassador
      • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tillytots)
      What did you think of the way The Killing Jar ended?

Which was your favourite of the short stories in The Pillowman? Why? Do you think he did it well.

ReputationRep:
      YAY Heart of Darkness goes into the lead.

ReputationRep:
      I voted for Heart of Darkness. I'd heard of it before, but never read it. Sounds pretty interesting though. Hopefully it'll stay in the lead, as I really don't want to re-read 1984 (which quite a few other people in this thread have said before me ).

ReputationRep:
      If Heart of Darkness wins can we watch Apocalypse Now too?

Personally, I rather like the smell of napalm in the morning.

ReputationRep:
      I don't think we should do 1984 - too many people have done it to death. I voted for Heart of Darkness because I've always meant to read it, but I hope we can do some of the other books in subsequent months.

(Original post by im so academic)
      Good point, I've always wanted to read it. And it's also £1.99 from here. :ahee:

Guys, I do recommend buying classics from Wordsworth as they're really inexpensive and of great quality as well. If you can't get it online, there should be a bookstore that offers it (in fact the bookstore I go to offers them at an even cheaper price).

Link: http://www.wordsworth-editions.com/
      I'll add to my ever-expanding collection

ReputationRep:
      There are two books on there I've always intended to read, and three I've done to death. The one I voted for was one I just liked the title of.

I figure if the book club goes on long enough/gets big enough its inevitable that I'll end up rereading something, but the discussion/reaction of other people is the interesting bit, and it's likely that I'll read more new books than old.

ReputationRep:
      Not voted yet... but saw Nostrodom (sp?) in the library today, so interested in Conrad.

1984 though widely read, is still quite interesting to re-read. Especially as you get older. Though, I have "studied it to death" in school.

Exciting stuff :woo:

[thanks to the moderator who "opened" the poll; i did something naughty by trying to contact them but all's fair in love and war :teehee:]

ReputationRep:
      I agree with Heart of Darkness over Nineteen Eighty-Four; I've read it twice already. Although it does have the best opening line of a book I've ever read. I think.

ReputationRep:
      Ah crap forgot to pick up my copies of 1984 and Heart of Darkness.. on the hunt for free ebooks

ReputationRep:
      1984 :nothing:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by spacepirate-James)
      1984 :nothing:
      That's democracy for ya :P

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Potiron)
      That's democracy for ya :P
      nope. TSR book club is a totalitarian police state!

:mad:

Spoiler:
      Show
      fiddles with the votes :ninja:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by spacepirate-James)
      nope. TSR book club is a totalitarian police state!

:mad:

Spoiler:
      Show
      fiddles with the votes :ninja:
      Maybe we need a proportional system. We can read a few pages from each nominee, and mash it altogether into one narrative.

ReputationRep:
      Now how is it possible that 'A thousand splendid suns' was nominated but 'The Kite Runner' wasn't :lolwut:

Anyway I've chosen the former only because of my admiration for Khaled Hosseini (and also because I'm reading it)

ReputationRep:
      I don't really like the sound of the other books, I hope 1984 wins though

ReputationRep:
      The Kite Runner ... pfft ... how over-rated

Spoiler:
      Show

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2011
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.