Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've accidentally unintentionally become a "friend with benefits" Watch

ReputationRep:
    When then "accidentally unintentionally" stop shagging him then!

OP, I was in the same situation with you; he was scared to get close whereas I knew pretty much as soon as I knew him that I wanted to be with him. We decided to be sensible, became very very close friends, it got sexual when there was attraction and then it was a sort of friends with benefits situation for a long time. I was hurt a lot during that time - every time a gesture of affection was rejected, it really really stung, and I doubted myself and wondered what I was doing. Everyone just assumed we were going out and over that time he got much closer to me and it became clear that we both wanted to be with each other - and now I couldn't be happier. I'm aware that it doesn't work this way for everyone, but I just wanted to make you aware that it doesn't have to end badly.

Been there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been seeing this guy for quite a few months. I feel really strongly for him and care a lot about him - i fell hard and fast.

He didn't/doesn't feel the same.

It was ok for a while in the early days because we were both on the same page but now that i've really fallen for him it's horrible. We've gone way past the point where any other normal couple would be an actual couple by now. But we're not, because he doesn't want to be.

He's tried to tell me that it's because he's too scared to let people get that close to him, but I don't believe that at all any more.

I've tried to walk away (twice) because it hurts so much, but both times have failed. I just can't walk away. I can't be without him.

We've still got a sexual relationship. We still hang out. We still text and talk everyday.

How am I supposed to walk away from him???

It hurts just as much being with him as it does being without him....
    do the opposite of walking away, convince him to have a relationship with you, i'm surprised no one suggested this

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.