Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feeling depressed and can't be bothered to do anything Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HEDM22)
    You don't have depression, you're just very very lazy. I hate people who diagnose themselves as 'depressed' these days when all they really need is a good kick up the butt. Much of what you're doing is self-inflicted. Don't expect a wordy response from me. Get up, get out and get on with it.
    He did say he was on medication. You don't get put on medication for no reason. Where did he say he self diagnosed? Nowhere. You aren't smart, you're just very very ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have depression, you're just very very lazy. I hate people who diagnose themselves as 'depressed' these days when all they really need is a good kick up the butt. Much of what you're doing is self-inflicted. Don't expect a wordy response from me. Get up, get out and get on with it.
    I like how a very smug TSR member believes that they're qualified to make a diagnosis over the Internet.
    And btw, the quotation in your sig invalidates everything that you say.

This may be a stupid question, but how do you make an appointment with a psychologist? I have a GP but I'm really not comfortable saying anything to her because the entire practice knows my family. I don't want any of my friends or family to know. Also, is the treatment free or what sort of pricing am I looking at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noisia)
    He did say he was on medication. You don't get put on medication for no reason. Where did he say he self diagnosed? Nowhere. You aren't smart, you're just very very ignorant.
    (Original post by DarkSenrine)
    I like how a very smug TSR member believes that they're qualified to make a diagnosis over the Internet.
    And btw, the quotation in your sig invalidates everything that you say.
    Depression is a result of laziness. You need to keep busy, get out of bed and do something productive with your day. 'Feeling depressed and can't be bothered to do anything'. The answer is simple: do something. Don't spend all day on Facebook and TSR and make the most of your life!

Some people on here are talking like they're Trisha or something. I'm not ignorant. I'm being real and honest about the situation. Everyone on here is too sympathetic and they often post such an over-dramatic response as soon as somebody claims to be 'depressed'. It's like everyone has 'depression' these days. Not revising, staying in bed all day and not bothering to go to the gym isn't depression. Flippin' hell, nobody's died...this is just laziness and a lack of motivation. Life's too short OP.

ReputationRep:
    Mate, I feel the same way as you most of the time. I haven't been diagnosed with any sort of depression, but I haven't been tested. I don't need a doctor to tell me I am, though, and the reason I think it's clinical is because there is no know reason for it. I have exams I think starting the first day I get back. I don't even know what they're on, I don't really care about uni or anything really, I know I should, though. My mate convinced me to go to the gym at the end of the term just gone, I went a few times and have asked for a membership for Christmas. I hope that going to the gym on a regular basis will motivate me to eat better which in turn will hopefully cause me to feel better generally.

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem, and escitaloprams never really worked and made me zombie like and empty. I think if you can't find the silverlining now then at the very least think about the fact that depression eventually pasess at somepoint, and everything that happens up until then will be forgotten anyway.
    Embrace the quiet life of watching films and being lazy for now, and a reason to be happy/content will come to you on its own.

ReputationRep:
    Depression is a result of laziness. You need to keep busy, get out of bed and do something productive with your day. 'Feeling depressed and can't be bothered to do anything'. The answer is simple: do something. Don't spend all day on Facebook and TSR and make the most of your life!

Some people on here are talking like they're Trisha or something. I'm not ignorant. I'm being real and honest about the situation. Everyone on here is too sympathetic and they often post such an over-dramatic response as soon as somebody claims to be 'depressed'. It's like everyone has 'depression' these days. Not revising, staying in bed all day and not bothering to go to the gym isn't depression. Flippin' hell, nobody's died...this is just laziness and a lack of motivation. Life's too short OP.
    i see where you're trying to come from.. but it's not always as simple as 'just get up and do'. you're so so so wrong there.

but tbh, there's no point trying to explain to you why your explanation just doesn't work because you can't have experienced it before so you just.. wouldn't understand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabie)
    there's no point trying to explain to you why your explanation just doesn't work because you can't have experienced it before so you just.. wouldn't understand
    that's a really valid point. One of the reasons people are so quick to disregard people with depression as serious is because they don't understand the ins and outs of it on a personal level.

ReputationRep:

It's caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Not laziness. I don't know where you mustered that up from, but you are obviously an idiot. Your lack of empathy clearly shows you haven't undergone depression. It isn't a feeling, it's a mental illness. Google is your friend. You also seem to envy the attention people get from being depressed, you still have a lot of growing up to do.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This may be a stupid question, but how do you make an appointment with a psychologist? I have a GP but I'm really not comfortable saying anything to her because the entire practice knows my family. I don't want any of my friends or family to know. Also, is the treatment free or what sort of pricing am I looking at?
    Your GPs are bound by patient confidentiality. They can only disclose anything you tell them if they genuinely believe you are a risk to yourself or those around you. Unless you're saying they're family friends and you don't want family friends knowing? Obviously not the greatest situation but again, they can't say anything to anyone.

Afaik, your best bet at getting access to a psychologist (unless you have the means to go private) would be through your GP. Access to a psychologist and therapy-style treatments can be free on the NHS but there are waiting lists, so you may have to wait awhile unless you're deemed an urgent case :yes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.