Cocaine.

ReputationRep:
    Why are all of the people with neg-rep parents? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by her)
    Why must you assume such foolish things? :rolleyes:
    I changed my mind just before you quoted me

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the music. I'm not sure how much evidence there is for it though (but nothing against it so why not?)
    Things like encouraging reading, counting and colours. My parents did and I really thank them for it. Just as a guide, although obviously I nor my upbringing was perfect, I had been taught to count and perform simple addition and subtraction (probably up to 50), read basic books (maybe up to age 5/6) and knew the colours and shapes before starting primary school. Please don't let your child be like some of the people in my school, who at the age of 14 cannot count to 20.
    Also I think generally make sure they are healthy and happy. Make learning into games, not as a drill. It should always be fun so they grow up curious and willing to learn.
    Lastly, (I know I've gone on for way too long!) just set a good example with your own speech and mannerisms as they will learn from you.
    Hope this helped, and I realise I'm definitely no expert but just sharing what I think would work and how I was brought up

ReputationRep:
    Blatantly get the kid an account on TSR asap. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I could read before I started school, because my family would read to me and point out every word as they did so (and made sure that they sounded out every syllable)...maybe try that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    It usually occurs through natural stimulation.

Infants mature quickly but at very different rates.

I'm guessing you're gonna be one of those controlling parents. Couldn't even wait for it to be in school? Disgusting.
    What this guy said.

ReputationRep:
    Omega 3 fish oils...Don't know if they work!
    Try and get he/she interested in reading, don't foorce them into it but if you read lots from a young age you can come on leaps and bounds!

ReputationRep:
    Encourage creativity. Putting together those miniature toys was something I did almost every day when I was a wee toddler, and my parents always gave me things to draw with and make things with... all of those things teach things like problem solving, maths, english (from reading instructions!) and patience really passively through bright toys. Don't sit the poor kid down with textbooks or anything dull!

ReputationRep:
    I was really fantastic at reading when I was younger, basically because my mum refused to read TO me. She always made me read to her at night, I remember struggling sooo much at first, but I got there in the end and LOVED reading to her every night, I was in the top groups and all :smug:

I sucked at everything else though, so can't help there.

ReputationRep:
    Teach them maths early on. Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you asking a teenagers how you should raise your baby?

erm, nothing? My parents never encouraged me to do any reading of books or listening to mozart. Installing a sense of motivation to be a success and self-confidence will do enough. Perhaps suggestive reading

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by her)
    from the 'toddler' stage - book? music?
    Experience! Take it to the park for seasonal changes. Let it taste different things and teach it to articulate. Give it tools for expression. Don't force it to see the world as others see it. Just expose the world to it.

Unfortunately books and music doesn't make you intelligent,it makes you knowlegable (if you have a good memory).Let it be freeeeeeeeeeee.

That will avoid mental disorders/pressure/conformity which is the best environment to fulfill their potential.

ReputationRep:
    Books and lego. Especially the books - my mum used to take buy me a few new books every couple of months then just left me to it. I think being given the resources to read at an early age explains why I was (and still am) quite good at English Lit.

ReputationRep:
    Drugs.

ReputationRep:
    Have him/her adopted. :ninja:

More seriously, intelligence is not primarily innate; neurogenesis occurs throughout our lives (though we tend to have a "clipping" of brain cells during puberty to make the brain more efficient at tasks it does most often). So yes, read, do creative things, teach music, allow him/her to be inquisitive etc. He/she'll most likely become good at whatever you do often enough with him/her (so it isn't necessarily the case of a generalised intelligence, as we tend to think and what psychologist call g). Of course, there are other traits of importance, besides intelligence, however. Just make sure that the kid has a well-rounded childhood and is happy.

ReputationRep:
    Send them to this guy.

ReputationRep:
    Well really, from the 'toddler' stage? You've started out far too late.

By the time it was a feotus, you should of exposed it to audiobooks (as sounds can be heard from within the womb) about the cosmos, a documentaries narrated by the Attenborough, and even the biography of beethoven.

Now, once it's out the womb, nevermind one of those spinny mobile things that go above the cot, replace with the model of our Solar System, complete with narrative features explaining the formation of the universe. Also, once the child reaches 2 weeks old, the time has come to teach it to read. Start by reading out every word in the dictionary, to ensure your child has a broad range of vocab. Also, it's reccomended that at 3 weeks, you start teaching it different languages too, including Latin, Greek and Arabic.

Once the baby is ready to learn to talk, don't talk in sentances, but in mathematic equations and chemical formulas. It's advised to start out teaching it Pythagorous's theorum, and working your way from there.

At the toddler stage, you should have already exposed it to mock A Level exam papers. If it's not getting A*s overall, I'm afraid you've failed as a parent.

ReputationRep:
    No idea, I was already smart from birth.

ReputationRep:
    Read to your child.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.