Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best Beatles Song? Watch

ReputationRep:
    George Harrison is very underrated and Paul McCartney is overrated. John Lennon was rated about right.

I vote for Harrison's If I needed someone.

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I'm loving Strawberry Fields, Something, Back in the USSR, Penny Lane and Get Back, but I love basically all of them, really just general Beatles love.

EDIT: And just remembered Octopus's Garden for my Ringo love also

ReputationRep:
    Savoy Truffle obvs.

ReputationRep:
    While my Guitar Gently Weeps.

ReputationRep:
    All my Loving, Lucy in the sky with diamonds, Yesterday, and Eleanor Rigby are up there but I have to give it to Norwegian Wood. George Harrison makes this song awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Let it be FTW.

ReputationRep:
    everything off of 'Help'

it's probably one of their most underrated albums!

ReputationRep:
    hey jude

ReputationRep:
    So difficult to choose but probably one from:
    Here Comes the Sun
    Yesterday
    Let it Be
    Eight Days a Week
    Penny Lane

I know what my worst one is:
    Good Morning Good Morning, what a dreadful, immensely annoying song.

ReputationRep:
    Something about love.

ReputationRep:
    let it be
    and most songs in that album.

Cry Baby Cry...

or

Eleanor Rigby.

ReputationRep:
      Great thread.

Norwegian Wood has always been a fond one for me, but mainly because it was the first Beatles song I ever heard, because I learnt a really simple version of it on the piano when I was a kid and my dad heard me playing it and showed me the song.

But really I think Ob-la-di Ob-la-da has to be up there as one of my favourites. It may not be one of the most popular but it never fails to put a smile on my face!

ReputationRep:
      Ticket To Ride
      Here Comes the Sun
      Penny Lane
      Let It Be
      Just to name a few...

ReputationRep:
      Day Tripper or Yesterday.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Cybele)
      Maxwell's Silver Hammer

:yep:
      One of their most underrated songs. Clang clang. :awesome:

My fav is Here Comes the Sun.

Seriously, there's too many to list and very few Beatles songs I genuinely don't like. So I'll have to be really harsh and cut my list down to size:

Girl
        Paperback Writer
        All You Need is Love
        Here Comes The Sun
        Yesterday
        Strawberry Fields Forever
        Tomorrow Never Knows

ReputationRep:
        Generally speaking, if you're an ordinary member of the public, you'll prefer McCartney's work.
        If you like your football terrace anthems, then you'll like Hey Jude for instance. He has written some clever stuff like many of their early pop songs , music hall style songs like 'When I'm 64' and the later 'Martha my dear' and the Lennon-like 'Oh Darling' but unfortunately he overlooks this himself in favour of the stuff that has proven most popular. I suppose that many people feel secure in his company because he seems more like they do. He wasn't sitting in a bed like Lennon or sitting in a huge gothic mansion like Harrison.

I feel comparatively sorry for Harrison in terms of how most people will regard him. It was his guitar work that gave some of The Beatles songs their Byrds-like feel. I'm sure that it was him who introduced them to Indian mysticism - without that would Tomorrow never knows or parts of Magical Mystery Tour sounded like they do?

Instead of being known as 'The Quiet One', even more than Lennon he should really be called 'the thinking man's Beatle'. If I needed someone, Think for yourself, Blue Jay Way, Here comes the sun are great examples of songs that, in themselves, seem like testaments to both Harrison and the 60s. (whereas some of McCartney's, as good as they may, are just songs at the end of the day). Some others that he wrote include 'While my guitar gently weeps', which is good but I'm not mad about, and 'Something', which Frank Sinatra erroneously called the greatest Lennon/McCartney composition.

Harrison was the most naturally cool Beatle if you ask me (definitely a handsome chap) not least because he shunned the spotlight later on in his career. In the 80s he morphed in to looking a like a more hippyish version of his love rival Eric Clapton.

The Beatles could definitely live without Ringo but The Beatles without Harrison would not have been quite as intelligent or magical and I suspect that he influenced Lennon actually.

ReputationRep:
        Helter Skelter is the only good one. Except for that one, they were extremely boring.

ReputationRep:
        help !

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2011
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.