Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thinkin of getting a MacBook Pro 13" as my Sony Vaio has broken. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamiFFXIII)
    Just the other day my Sony Vaio Vn (something) lol broke, its charger bit was falling off and it finally stopped chargin, it was a Windows Vista version with full HD 1080P and everything, yet everytime i for example played HD files it seemed as if it couldn't cope, after six months it became really slow. So therefore im now looking to get a new laptop as im also going university next year. It was a 16.4" screen. Im thinking of switching to the aforementioned Mac but need to make a definitive decision, as i need something reliable and portable, whilst also good for playing HD anime lol, and watching videos for a student basically. If you need anymore information quote me of course and i can tell you. I really need to urgently get a new laptop, the price is in my range (maximum) £999, just kind of unsure really with the screen size and the exponential increase on price of the 15" is i find quite ridiculous.

EDIT: Please i implore you not to turn this into a trivial PC Vs Mac users argument, please provide constructive advice, im thinking of purchasing another Vaio so if you can convince me on that over a Mac then i'd be happy. Thank you very much guys.
    Reliable and portable? Mac any day. Macs are generally very high build quality. (not saying that other manufactures arnt )

But what your looking for seems to be at least a 15 inch screen and im afraid that their isnt a mac with a 15" screen for less than £1500!!

Would a mac 13" be able to play HD content? Certainly. In fact i have mine (MacBook Pro 13 - last years model) hooked up to a Full HD monitor earlier watching a 1080p movie.

But then again macs dont come with Blu ray drives which is a bit annoying!

A mac is also more likely to stay quicker for longer than a windows computer (but then again a well looked after windows can be just as nippy)

Personally i find the 13" great for shoving in a bag and taking to lectures etc (the back-lit keyboard very helpful here! as they often dim the lights) also it has 10 hours of battery life (wifi off)

As a student myself wouldn't have any other laptop tbh

EDIT: Ops never mind you bought the Mac - (good choice :-P)

ReputationRep:
    I suggest buying this or this. Or this or this.

Edit: LOL

ReputationRep:
    NUS card my good sir
    Can I get one if I'm in 6th year? (in Scotland)

ReputationRep:
    Just the other day my Sony Vaio Vn (something) lol broke, its charger bit was falling off and it finally stopped chargin, it was a Windows Vista version with full HD 1080P and everything, yet everytime i for example played HD files it seemed as if it couldn't cope, after six months it became really slow. So therefore im now looking to get a new laptop as im also going university next year. It was a 16.4" screen. Im thinking of switching to the aforementioned Mac but need to make a definitive decision, as i need something reliable and portable, whilst also good for playing HD anime lol, and watching videos for a student basically. If you need anymore information quote me of course and i can tell you. I really need to urgently get a new laptop, the price is in my range (maximum) £999, just kind of unsure really with the screen size and the exponential increase on price of the 15" is i find quite ridiculous.

EDIT: Please i implore you not to turn this into a trivial PC Vs Mac users argument, please provide constructive advice, im thinking of purchasing another Vaio so if you can convince me on that over a Mac then i'd be happy. Thank you very much guys.
    can i have your old one
    pweassse!
    ill give you rep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im_ant)
    Can I get one if I'm in 6th year? (in Scotland)
    Indeed you can, all you have to do is enter your details of the school which you attend and they will send it to your school, you have to pay £11 for it and the membership and i recognised you have to sign up again once you enter university, well thats the case for me as im in my final year of sixth form. Cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boristhethird)
    can i have your old one
    pweassse!
    ill give you rep!
    Haha, im not that keen on TSR to give away my old laptop for rep lol, but thanks for the offer
    Plus i gave it to my bro as he needed one so sorry

ReputationRep:
    You made the right choice buying a mac, convinced you will never go back. Once you go mac, you never go back.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, im not that keen on TSR to give away my old laptop for rep lol, but thanks for the offer
    Plus i gave it to my bro as he needed one so sorry
    oh i see, you value your family more then someone you don't know on the Internet. thats fine. im not hurt. *runs off and crys*

and to think, i gave you a random lol cat in my sig:mad:

ReputationRep:
    oh i see, you value your family more then someone you don't know on the Internet. thats fine. im not hurt. *runs off and crys*

and to think, i gave you a random lol cat in my sig:mad:
    HAHA, i know i was in the wrong, how could i do such a morally reprehensible thing!
    Wait the sig, i can't see a sig nor know what it is, hell i don't even know the what the lol cat is lol! Point me to how i can see it please my good sir! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    HAHA, i know i was in the wrong, how could i do such a morally reprehensible thing!
    Wait the sig, i can't see a sig nor know what it is, hell i don't even know the what the lol cat is lol! Point me to how i can see it please my good sir! :cool:
    the sig (or signature) should be just below my post, you may have tuned them off
    this is a lol cat

ReputationRep:
    the sig (or signature) should be just below my post, you may have tuned them off
    this is a lol cat

Oh ok, i better turn it on then lol, so a lol cat is basically a cat doing discrepant ****, quite amusing

ReputationRep:
    You're probably set on buying a new one, but just incase you're not(considering a new one would cost you 1 grand)...
    The problems you seem to be talking about could probably be fixed quite easily. A new charger costs at max. 50 pounds, and re-installing the operating system, at worse, would mean having to buy a new windows 7 license, or asking someone in-the-know to figure out a way to get you a copy for free...
    MacBooks are pretty damn reliable though(had this for two years, no real hardware problems[and if you don't install a load of crap, you'll be fine for several years on one install- though with pretty much all operating systems I manage to **** something up every 4 months or so and need to reinstall >_<]).
    EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    Is there a new one coming out soon? Or can I buy one?

ReputationRep:
    I don't get this whole Mac thing. I have a laptop which costs half the price of a decent Macbook yet has specs that completely trash it. For anyone buying macbooks because they're pretty - you're a moron.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed you can, all you have to do is enter your details of the school which you attend and they will send it to your school, you have to pay £11 for it and the membership and i recognised you have to sign up again once you enter university, well thats the case for me as im in my final year of sixth form. Cool.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShakeyJJ)
    I don't get this whole Mac thing. I have a laptop which costs half the price of a decent Macbook yet has specs that completely trash it. For anyone buying macbooks because they're pretty - you're a moron.
    Does your laptop have OSX?

ReputationRep:

Quit crying.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willturnerpoc)
    Is there a new one coming out soon? Or can I buy one?
    Given Apple's usual cycle of releases, the Macbook pro line are overdue for a revamp. If you can go without it for another couple of months, holding out until mid-March is probably the safest option. However if you need it urgently or don't mind not being in line with the very newest releases, go ahead and buy one.

What about those of us who bought them for the superior build quality, reliability and customer service? Are we morons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Given Apple's usual cycle of releases, the Macbook pro line are overdue for a revamp. If you can go without it for another couple of months, holding out until mid-March is probably the safest option. However if you need it urgently or don't mind not being in line with the very newest releases, go ahead and buy one.

What about those of us who bought them for the superior build quality, reliability and customer service? Are we morons?
    Yes. So far my laptop has had no problems whatsoever, the service from Acer is sublime and, again, it cost me half the price for twice the specs.

But honestly, if you want to pay double the price for a worse laptop and 'better customer service' then you are fully entitled to your £700 customer service, hahaha.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.