Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Margaret Thatcher was kinder to the poor than Mother Theresa watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    I hear this a lot from those on the left. If you looked at the facts there was a real terms increase in health spending.
    There was a real terms increase in a lot of state budgets as well, the largest real terms increase was in the welfare budget.

Quite ironic but the biggest increase in social security spending ever seen since the welfare state was set up, was that under Margaret Thatcher's government, because that was the largest shift from people in work to claiming benefits.

Margaret Thatcher was too light-weight. All those Northerners should have been thrown into bloody gulags.

ReputationRep:
    ?....................... two different countries you know

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    There was a real terms increase in a lot of state budgets as well, the largest real terms increase was in the welfare budget.

Quite ironic but the biggest increase in social security spending ever seen since the welfare state was set up, was that under Margaret Thatcher's government, because that was the largest shift from people in work to claiming benefits.
    No the largest real terms increase was law and order.

ReputationRep:
    Mother Teresa was a religious nutter though, a bit like the current Pope who tells people condoms don't protect against HIV really and condemns them to die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallace32)
    Yeah just ask all those who mined during her time in power, they loved her! Really encouraged them to work, oh no, she just made them dependent on hand outs.
    Or look at her right to buy policy oh how the helped the poor, a very small section of the poor, for a small period of time. In fact, as house prices rose by £50,000 from the start to the end of her government maybe, just maybe it didn't help them at all
    Or scrapping free milk how that helped the poor
    Or all the good she did in the NHS

I mean she produced so many unemployed (rates were around 3millions during the mid 80's) she had to try and do some good...

More info on the 'good' the evil women did can be seen here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/4447082.stm
    Oops, I accidently gave you a negative response for this post!

Thanks for the link, very interesting!.

BTW everyone, here are some of Mother Teresa's words:

!It is not how much you do but how much love you put into doing and sharing with others that is important. Try not to judge people. If you judge others than you are not giving love".

"There are many in the world who are dying for a piece of bradt there are many more dying for a little love".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerigeeApogee)
    Yes, I agree.

Mother Theresa thought that poverty was a virtue, and she worked to actively keep people in poverty.

Her public image as some sort of saint is an absolute farce, and the true story of her work is asbolutely tragic. The woman was, in no uncertain terms, pure evil.
    Not being terribly religious means I do not know much about Mother Thereasa - but if the above is true, she is very similar to Gordon Brown, Tony Balir and company.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure I read recently that Mother Theresa was actually an atheist/agnostic and used the church as a means to give people hope.

Thatcher was someone who very much stuck to her principles and did what she thought best for the country at the time. The people who call her evil scum are often idiots jumping on a band wagon and need to do some research themselves. In my opinion she was the right person at the right time, and did some very good things for the country, although the great things she did for the country weren't always they best things to do for individuals in the country. It's all about striking a balance.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.