Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is LED TV really worth it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thedepressedchild)
    Yeah i think i can get something better than bush but i'm just considering the type of TV at the moment. So you're saying i should go for LED? I want to get either a 32" or 37"
    For the size you want, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    For the size you want, yes.
    Okey dokey, i shall be looking into LED then. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Unless i've missed a trick, they both have LCD on the front (the clever end), backlit by either LEDs or a strip-light (like your laptop). Not sure i'd give a F what is producing the light behind the screen...and i'm not sure durability is really an issue either (how many 'broken' LCD/LED screens have you seen that died through over-use?).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    From best to worst.

Plasma > Full LED > CCFL LCD > Edgelite LED

Big con is most 1080P LCD/LED tvs that are 50hz only display 300P when the picture is moving. i think 200hz can achieve 800 - 1080p but damage the picture by adding guessed frames in order to componsate for LCD & LEDs poor pixel response time.

Plasma does 900 - 1080 lines when moving naturally because of there instant pixel response times, doesnt crush blacks and has a more natural image. Most shops tell you not to buy w/e, because back when plasma when they were new (10 yrs ago) they suffered from image burn in. Nower days its not a a issue providing u dont misuse it but once a product has a bad image its hard to fix it...
    Also because there not as bright as LED & LCD they dont look good in bright shops

Im something of a genius with these things.

At 32inch stay with a CCFL LCD, do not buy edgelite LED. Its a waste of cash and suffers from backlight bleed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    From best to worst.

Plasma > Full LED > CCFL LCD > Edgelite LED

Big con is most 1080P LCD/LED tvs that are 50hz only display 300P when the picture is moving. i think 200hz can achieve 800 - 1080p but damage the picture by adding guessed frames in order to componsate for LCD & LEDs poor pixel response time.

Plasma does 900 - 1080 lines when moving naturally because of there instant pixel response times, doesnt crush blacks and has a more natural image. Most shops tell you not to buy w/e, because back when plasma when they were new (10 yrs ago) they suffered from image burn in. Nower days its not a a issue providing u dont misuse it but once a product has a bad image its hard to fix it...
    Also because there not as bright as LED & LCD they dont look good in bright shops

Im something of a genius with these things.

At 32inch stay with a CCFL LCD, do not buy edgelite LED. Its a waste of cash and suffers from backlight bleed.
    What about if it was full led?

Also im thinking to go for 37 inch now.

So what would you say in this case?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

There are no FULL LED 32 inch panels or even 37inch

Honest if i was you get a CCFL LCD S-PVA Panel

Only Samsung and Sony use these and there are not 37 inch panels so either get a 32 or a 40inch

The Samsungs are the best LCDs you can buy today at them sizes

For Example

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE32...3584298&sr=8-1

ReputationRep:
    There are no FULL LED 32 inch panels or even 37inch

Honest if i was you get a CCFL LCD S-PVA Panel

Only Samsung and Sony use these and there are not 37 inch panels so either get a 32 or a 40inch

The Samsungs are the best LCDs you can buy today at them sizes

For Example

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE32...298&sr=8-1
    I see, but i'm a bit cautious of getting an lcd cos i want something that is futureproof. I thought led would be the best for this as it is relatively new
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I see, but i'm a bit cautious of getting an lcd cos i want something that is futureproof. I thought led would be the best for this as it is relatively new
    I dont get what you mean? Both are the same only the method of backlighting is different.

CCFL and LEDs have equal lifetimes

ReputationRep:
    I dont get what you mean? Both are the same only the method of backlighting is different.

CCFL and LEDs have equal lifetimes
    Im talking about lcd getting outdated and led taking over. Do you think it will?

ReputationRep:
    Im talking about lcd getting outdated and led taking over. Do you think it will?
    Are you actually reading what people are writing? LED can't "take over" LCD any more than blu-ray can "take over" cable or shoes can "take over" trousers.

LED can and probably will outdate CCFL but so what if it does? Futureproofing isn't an issue because there are no compatibility issues with a light.

ReputationRep:

But they don't exist

You still don't understand do you?
    Any LED TV on sale right now is still an LCD. The LED part is about the backlight behind the LCD.

ReputationRep:
    Also don't get sucked into the great HD Ready/Full HD trap. If a TV is HD Ready it'll downscale sources up to 1080p down to the native resolution of the display (often 720p). If it's Full HD you can run tasty 1080p sources as the creator intended.

ReputationRep:
    Get an OLED screen instead.

ReputationRep:
    Don't buy a Bush - i'm saying this as an ex-techincal support guy. The best and only TV to buy is Panasonic, Sony or Toshiba, otherwise your wasting your money :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    I'm not sure why everyone is getting so aggressive, when he is clearly new to TV technology and its terminology. Jesus, if you think he's bad, try explaining it to a middle aged mother with a kid on each arm.

OP, I work at Currys and the biggest con is the demos. Please, please do not compare two screens in a store; it will not be of any use to you at all. You'll notice that most stores display animations like Pixar movies; the brightness, backlight and contrast are all whacked up and a buyer is sold on the spot... however, if you were to watch a grainy film such as Man on Fire, or even just standard Freeview, with that calibration, then you would wonder if you brought the wrong TV home with you.

As for which TV; at 32" don't even worry about the resolution - as long as it's 720p, you're good to go. 1080p is more of a marketing gimmick with these smaller sized TVs... not to mention there are far more important factors than whether it is "full HD".

My advice (if you want a 37" like you said) then get a Panasonic Plasma X20 - here

Or if you can stretch the budget, and can fit a 42", I'd highly recommend this

Hope that helps.

Actually the "trap" is not knowing when 1080p actually makes a difference and the fact that it is not an important feature for having a high quality display... especially when on a tight budget (<£500).
    All very true and very good advice.

A lot of people have bought HD Ready plasma and LCD TVs hoping to get the best possible picture from their Playstation 3 or Blu-Ray Player (the Xbox 360 only goes up to 1080i) and often they're not getting all they can. But of course refresh rate and many other factors are equally - if not more - important.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.articlesbase.com/electron...w-3674667.html Have a look here.

ReputationRep:
    could some tell me if this is a tv worth getting, we are looking for a big screen, long lasting and good picture quality
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung...06498-pdt.html
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legendstar)
    could some tell me if this is a tv worth getting, we are looking for a big screen, long lasting and good picture quality
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung...06498-pdt.html
    Whats your max budget?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Thats crap becaue most LED screens are edgelite so carnt be independently shutted off like full led local dimming to increase contrast

Heres some truth

http://reviews.cnet.com/2795-6482_7-399.html

ReputationRep:
    Whats your max budget?
    maybe 500 ish, we are looking for one thats around 42' to 50''. a good deal with a high spec. if you know what i mean, we are willing to pay a little bit more for highquality but over 500 would be a little too much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.