Is LED TV really worth it? Watch

bigmo7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by thedepressedchild)
Yeah i think i can get something better than bush but i'm just considering the type of TV at the moment. So you're saying i should go for LED? I want to get either a 32" or 37"
For the size you want, yes.
thedepressedchild
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by bigmo7)
For the size you want, yes.
Okey dokey, i shall be looking into LED then. Thanks
brabzzz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Unless i've missed a trick, they both have LCD on the front (the clever end), backlit by either LEDs or a strip-light (like your laptop). Not sure i'd give a F what is producing the light behind the screen...and i'm not sure durability is really an issue either (how many 'broken' LCD/LED screens have you seen that died through over-use?).
thedepressedchild
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dumachi)
From best to worst.

Plasma > Full LED > CCFL LCD > Edgelite LED

Big con is most 1080P LCD/LED tvs that are 50hz only display 300P when the picture is moving. i think 200hz can achieve 800 - 1080p but damage the picture by adding guessed frames in order to componsate for LCD & LEDs poor pixel response time.

Plasma does 900 - 1080 lines when moving naturally because of there instant pixel response times, doesnt crush blacks and has a more natural image. Most shops tell you not to buy w/e, because back when plasma when they were new (10 yrs ago) they suffered from image burn in. Nower days its not a a issue providing u dont misuse it but once a product has a bad image its hard to fix it...
Also because there not as bright as LED & LCD they dont look good in bright shops

Im something of a genius with these things.

At 32inch stay with a CCFL LCD, do not buy edgelite LED. Its a waste of cash and suffers from backlight bleed.
What about if it was full led?

Also im thinking to go for 37 inch now.

So what would you say in this case?
thedepressedchild
Rep:
?
There are no FULL LED 32 inch panels or even 37inch

Honest if i was you get a CCFL LCD S-PVA Panel

Only Samsung and Sony use these and there are not 37 inch panels so either get a 32 or a 40inch

The Samsungs are the best LCDs you can buy today at them sizes

For Example

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE32...298&sr=8-1
I see, but i'm a bit cautious of getting an lcd cos i want something that is futureproof. I thought led would be the best for this as it is relatively new
thedepressedchild
Rep:
?
I dont get what you mean? Both are the same only the method of backlighting is different.

CCFL and LEDs have equal lifetimes
Im talking about lcd getting outdated and led taking over. Do you think it will?
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Im talking about lcd getting outdated and led taking over. Do you think it will?
Are you actually reading what people are writing? LED can't "take over" LCD any more than blu-ray can "take over" cable or shoes can "take over" trousers.

LED can and probably will outdate CCFL but so what if it does? Futureproofing isn't an issue because there are no compatibility issues with a light.
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What about if it was full led?

Also im thinking to go for 37 inch now.

So what would you say in this case?
But they don't exist

You still don't understand do you?
Any LED TV on sale right now is still an LCD. The LED part is about the backlight behind the LCD.
Miraclefish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Also don't get sucked into the great HD Ready/Full HD trap. If a TV is HD Ready it'll downscale sources up to 1080p down to the native resolution of the display (often 720p). If it's Full HD you can run tasty 1080p sources as the creator intended.
kilowattjester
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Get an OLED screen instead.
Peace0fM1nd
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't buy a Bush - i'm saying this as an ex-techincal support guy. The best and only TV to buy is Panasonic, Sony or Toshiba, otherwise your wasting your money :cool:
Miraclefish
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by maskofsanity)
I'm not sure why everyone is getting so aggressive, when he is clearly new to TV technology and its terminology. Jesus, if you think he's bad, try explaining it to a middle aged mother with a kid on each arm.

OP, I work at Currys and the biggest con is the demos. Please, please do not compare two screens in a store; it will not be of any use to you at all. You'll notice that most stores display animations like Pixar movies; the brightness, backlight and contrast are all whacked up and a buyer is sold on the spot... however, if you were to watch a grainy film such as Man on Fire, or even just standard Freeview, with that calibration, then you would wonder if you brought the wrong TV home with you.

As for which TV; at 32" don't even worry about the resolution - as long as it's 720p, you're good to go. 1080p is more of a marketing gimmick with these smaller sized TVs... not to mention there are far more important factors than whether it is "full HD".

My advice (if you want a 37" like you said) then get a Panasonic Plasma X20 - here

Or if you can stretch the budget, and can fit a 42", I'd highly recommend this

Hope that helps.

Actually the "trap" is not knowing when 1080p actually makes a difference and the fact that it is not an important feature for having a high quality display... especially when on a tight budget (<£500).
All very true and very good advice.

A lot of people have bought HD Ready plasma and LCD TVs hoping to get the best possible picture from their Playstation 3 or Blu-Ray Player (the Xbox 360 only goes up to 1080i) and often they're not getting all they can. But of course refresh rate and many other factors are equally - if not more - important.
dshadow
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
http://www.articlesbase.com/electron...w-3674667.html Have a look here.
legendstar
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
could some tell me if this is a tv worth getting, we are looking for a big screen, long lasting and good picture quality
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung...06498-pdt.html
legendstar
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Whats your max budget?
maybe 500 ish, we are looking for one thats around 42' to 50''. a good deal with a high spec. if you know what i mean, we are willing to pay a little bit more for highquality but over 500 would be a little too much.
thedepressedchild
Rep:
?
oh my diddy, i just want to know if it is worth getting an LED TV for its quality and efficiency or just settling for an original LCD because it is cheaper.
thedepressedchild
Rep:
?
Original LCD is better than most LEDs. The FEW LEDS that are better are 42inch +. Hope that helps
Finally, ok thank you lol.

However, is it true that LED TV's are 40% more efficient in terms of power consumption? Because if it is, then i will probably go for LED just solely based on that.
llpokermuffinll
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So i'm thinking of buying a new telly and saw this offer in Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...7C16180235.htm

However i'm seeing much better deals on LCD TV's so i'm wondering is it really worth getting an LED or shall i go for a really good LCD TV?

Thanks
If you have an LC TV and want to upgrade, you rather leave it for now and wait for a better technology to come out. No point getting LED if you have LCD already. And wtf is Bush? Probably some next crappy short-life TV.
thedepressedchild
Rep:
?
(Original post by llpokermuffinll)
If you have an LC TV and want to upgrade, you rather leave it for now and wait for a better technology to come out. No point getting LED if you have LCD already. And wtf is Bush? Probably some next crappy short-life TV.
No i currently have the big fat CRT lol. But i see what you mean.
wizz_kid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No i currently have the big fat CRT lol. But i see what you mean.

Overall yea LEDs are better than LCDs n plasmas. However i would realy ask u to look at them before buying. The only downside of LEDS is that 'white' colour has a hint of blue. That is coz there isnt a white led and they have to coat it to make the colour white.

Not many people notice this but i thout i mite just point it out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
11.11%
No (8)
88.89%

Watched Threads