Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Current students: How many of you didn't visit uni accom before living there? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As far as my expectations go, I expect the same or high standards as what I had in Liverpool, and that isnt a very high level tbh lol. I really want self catered since I had catered last time and felt like I was wasting my money. Good to know some people didnt visit and still love their places. It's a risk though! Im unsure still. Ill wait for more offers to come in I think, since im going to Notts at the end of Jan.

(Original post by roberthssmith)
    Ive applied for Liverpool but when I went on the open day I didnt see any accommodation. But as it stands Liverpool is my number one choice, I dont see quality of accommodation changing my mind. What did you think of the accommodation?
    I didn't have a problem with it really. Mine wasnt nice, but I didnt mind it. Things to remember; Carnatic people seem to go out more, and it seems more homely and cosy on that site (I was there, but I dont like to go out partying much so wasnt ideal). Greenbank has much nicer rooms, yet I feel the place is a bit dead and felt like a hospital. I wouldn't care if my new uni room turned out like my old one. I didnt have a problem with it, but didnt love it either.

ReputationRep:
    What's the point with uni accommodation?

Look at photos, ask other people who've lived there before.

If I was buying a house, sure, but uni accommodation - come on! You're just wasting your time.

I've only done it once purely because a campus tour stopped in at one of the residences as part of the programme. Mind you, that was at the University of Dundee where all the accommodation is identical apart from two older bits (Belmont Tower and the old part of Seabraes) and a seldom used rundown hellhole across the road (Tay Mills) - in general, they only put freshers in there because they're not too bothered about it getting trashed :teehee:
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      I can see why some would'nt bother (if you just want the cheapest, it does'nt really matter where it is or what it is like), however i have decided to go for quality, and thus am prepared to pay more, thus i have gone by location and narrowed down a list, i intend to visit all of them and then make a final decision.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by impossible!)
      As far as my expectations go, I expect the same or high standards as what I had in Liverpool, and that isnt a very high level tbh lol. I really want self catered since I had catered last time and felt like I was wasting my money. Good to know some people didnt visit and still love their places. It's a risk though! Im unsure still. Ill wait for more offers to come in I think, since im going to Notts at the end of Jan.

I didn't have a problem with it really. Mine wasnt nice, but I didnt mind it. Things to remember; Carnatic people seem to go out more, and it seems more homely and cosy on that site (I was there, but I dont like to go out partying much so wasnt ideal). Greenbank has much nicer rooms, yet I feel the place is a bit dead and felt like a hospital. I wouldn't care if my new uni room turned out like my old one. I didnt have a problem with it, but didnt love it either.
      Cool beans Just 1 more question, can you be self-catered at Liverpool?

ReputationRep:
      I went on an Oxford open day. I applied to Queens' Cambridge, didn't visit town, college or uni.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by roberthssmith)
      Cool beans Just 1 more question, can you be self-catered at Liverpool?
      Yep, there's self catered in the Dale building at Carnatic (but for males only for some reason), in Derby and Rathbone at Greenbank, and at all the on campus sites (that are known for international and postgrad students...). From the accom thread last year though, I didnt see any conditionals get the self catered places they wanted, they all went to uncons. But having said that, ive heard there's loads of rooms free in the D&R S-C now...

ReputationRep:
      To those living in single study bedrooms, How many people do you share your bathroom with?

I have no idea how uni accommodation is gonna be , can't seem to find pics of shared bathrooms anyway.

ReputationRep:
      I just did a virtual tour on my uni website, didn't really show much. I really like my halls.

ReputationRep:
      I'd recommend looking at it. I didn't like at my first year accommodation, and just picked the cheapest en suite, and I was horrible. A hellish year for living tbh. After seeing the other en suite rooms, they were great. So, yeah, check it out first.

ReputationRep:
      I only went to 3 open days, but saw the accommodation for all of them. To be honest, if you have to live there for a year, I think it's pretty important that you get to see it.. although that's just my opinion, and some people aren't quite as picky as I am!

ReputationRep:
      i didnt visit my uni which im at now and i didnt visit the Accommadation day either i would have but i lived all the way in london so a bit far for me to go

ReputationRep:
      I didn't look at mine, and I love it

ReputationRep:
      I didn't. Finished work on the Friday, packed Saturday morning and caught the train Saturday afternoon. Rock n roll!

ReputationRep:
      didn't, and regret it in that i would definitely have chosen somewhere else if i had
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      Personally i have a full list of potential places (narrowed down to 5). I plan to visit them all in the next month before making a final decision.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Baula)
      I know it might seem a bit annoying as they're far away but I would really rocommend visiting the accommodation. I currently commute to uni but was originally planning to live in the town/city of the universities that I visited and it was my visit to the accommodation that swayed me.

I'm at Huddersfield uni and the accomodation is a nightmare because it's so far away from the town centre and you really do need a bus to get to uni each day. In fact, my friend is usually late because those buses are usually packed and she has to wait for another Although, that said, it was nice there.
      At another uni that I looked at, it felt really cramped and kind of like a prison :confused: It had really narrow, dark corridors with no natural light

You'll find mixed responses on the internet about accomodation because people have different tastes and expectations. For example, me and my mum overheard another family saying how lovely the accommodation was for the last one lol
      Are you in Ashenhurst?

I have a friend living there, been to visit him and the accom seemed okay to me, but we did go into town a couple of times when I was there and it does seem quite far out of town, yeah. Definitely not walking distance with shopping and that.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ilickbatteries)
      Are you in Ashenhurst?

I have a friend living there, been to visit him and the accom seemed okay to me, but we did go into town a couple of times when I was there and it does seem quite far out of town, yeah. Definitely not walking distance with shopping and that.
      Nah, I'm living in Sheffield and getting the train each day It's annoying that there's one every hour but it works out cheaper than living there so I don't mind too much lol
      I never visited Ashenhurst (Didn't realise until after that they had two accommodation places) I quite liked Storthes but was put off because of the distance mainly. If I was going to pay to live there, I'd want to be within walking distance of the uni and town centre

ReputationRep:
      With my university, you didn't get to specify a residence when you applied, nevermind look around one. They just told you a month before you started what halls you would be in, and you saw it for the first time on move in day. Didn't bother me.

ReputationRep:
      I didn't bother. It's a 5/6 hour drive down and I'm not particularly fussy about these kinds of things anyway. I just applied for the ones in a good location distance wise and away from noisy streets wise really. There were one or two on the website that'll say "feature x is not included in flat y", and notoriously bad places are generally discussed on websites like TSR if you take a look around, so it isn't really that hard to reasonably narrow it down, for me anyways. In the end I was allocated a bog standard room in a basic wee flat, with awesome flatmates, set back from the main street but only 10 minutes walk to uni, half an hour to Princes Street, and it was awesome- I'm having far more problems with my second year housing if I'm honest =P

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.