Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hunters Society Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
    Nothing, you just get it from the game keeper or land owner for culling. Any cost there may be is covered by them as you provide a service.
    yes those costs are covered by the service you provide.

I was talking about when you apply to get a firearms licince, what do you have to do? How much does it cost you?

you know how you get a drivers licince you pass the theory and practical tests and then youve got the licince, (costs like 200 max for the two tests and lessons)

what do you for this?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mohid Khan)
    yes those costs are covered by the service you provide.

I was talking about when you apply to get a firearms licince, what do you have to do? How much does it cost you?

you know how you get a drivers licince you pass the theory and practical tests and then youve got the licince, (costs like 200 max for the two tests and lessons)

what do you for this?

Cheers
    i just went down to the shooting range, joined up picked up a license form filledmit in and sent it of with a cheque for i think 80 quid and waited. Its cheaper to renew than to apply. Google isnyour friend here.

ReputationRep:
    i just went down to the shooting range, joined up picked up a license form filledmit in and sent it of with a cheque for i think 80 quid and waited. Its cheaper to renew than to apply. Google isnyour friend here.
    thanks. from what i have searched everything from getting the licince to maintainance is ptettymuch standard. Cant wait

ReputationRep:
    thanks. from what i have searched everything from getting the licince to maintainance is ptettymuch standard. Cant wait
    It isn't much of a hassle at all my man, I wish you all the best!

ReputationRep:
    It isn't much of a hassle at all my man, I wish you all the best!
    thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't hunt with Rifles, I had a .177 back in the day though.

I Bow hunt and im using a Hoyt Katera at the moment, it's got such punch and has really improved my clean kill rate for Deer and larger game.
    some one told me bow hunting was against the law :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Mostly deer up in the Highlands and around the moor's but Ive been known to try my hand at bird and small vermin as well rabbit/badger/squirrel.

I was once blessed enough to be able to hunt oryx in Africa, which I can safely say was one of the best moments of my life.

Yourself?
    do you guys get red stag in the highlands?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rottweiler22)
    If you have a valid reason, such as pest control, or you eat the animals you shoot, I don't see anything wrong with that.

We're having major problems with foxes around us, so I'm getting an application in for a .243, and .17HMR. We have around 35 acres, smack bang in the middle of nowhere, with no houses or main roads within miles, so there should be no problem.

I used to hunt rabbits and hares with my .22 S410, but haven't in the last few years.

We live on a farm, and are planting christmas tree saplings on one of our fields, obviously to grow and sell. Deers are the main threat to saplings, so an application for a .308 may be in order!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How much did you get your s410 for?
    wold you say it better than a s510?

cheers :cheers:

ReputationRep:
    some one told me bow hunting was against the law :confused:
    It's illegal in the UK, I bow hunt abroad mainly in America and twice in Africa I am lucky enough to have family in South Dakota and have been their and other states a number of times more or less purely to hunt.

ReputationRep:
    do you guys get red stag in the highlands?
    Yes

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/reddeer

ReputationRep:
    How much did you get your s410 for?
    wold you say it better than a s510?

cheers :cheers:
    I got my S410 about 7 years ago, and it was about £650 scoped. They're both the same inside, just with a different action, the S410 being a side-lever, rather than bolt action. The S510 has an integrated silencer aswell.

The S410 is mega accurate, and will hit 5p size groups at 50 yards.

As for the previous posts about getting a firearms licence, I've just got mine, so I can shed some light on the issue. A shotgun and firearm application costs £60. The police like to keep regulations really tight, and you will need a gunsafe, and an ammunition safe.

If you want a firearms certificate (FAC), you need a "good reason" for it, which can be membership at a club (you will need signed and sealed documentation of this), or written permission to shoot pests on land. For the latter, you need to enclose a map of the land, with written permission of the owner. The police will then check the land, and deem if it is suitable for the calibre you want, and if they believe the land to be unsafe, ie. Too close to houses, they will reject the application.

In terms of ease to acquire the more powerful the calibre is, the more difficult they are to get: an FAC air rifle (over 12ft/Ibs) is the easiest, followed by a .22LR rimfire, then a .17HMR rimfire, then the centerfire calibres, which are used for foxes and deer.

Like said, the firearms certificate is harder to get than the shotgun, but you need a "good reason" or the police will have none of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's illegal in the UK, I bow hunt abroad mainly in America and twice in Africa I am lucky enough to have family in South Dakota and have been their and other states a number of times more or less purely to hunt.
    You can still do target shooting. Right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rottweiler22)
    I got my S410 about 7 years ago, and it was about £650 scoped. They're both the same inside, just with a different action, the S410 being a side-lever, rather than bolt action. The S510 has an integrated silencer aswell.

The S410 is mega accurate, and will hit 5p size groups at 50 yards.

As for the previous posts about getting a firearms licence, I've just got mine, so I can shed some light on the issue. A shotgun and firearm application costs £60. The police like to keep regulations really tight, and you will need a gunsafe, and an ammunition safe.

If you want a firearms certificate (FAC), you need a "good reason" for it, which can be membership at a club (you will need signed and sealed documentation of this), or written permission to shoot pests on land. For the latter, you need to enclose a map of the land, with written permission of the owner. The police will then check the land, and deem if it is suitable for the calibre you want, and if they believe the land to be unsafe, ie. Too close to houses, they will reject the application.

In terms of ease to acquire the more powerful the calibre is, the more difficult they are to get: an FAC air rifle (over 12ft/Ibs) is the easiest, followed by a .22LR rimfire, then a .17HMR rimfire, then the centerfire calibres, which are used for foxes and deer.

Like said, the firearms certificate is harder to get than the shotgun, but you need a "good reason" or the police will have none of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks. :yy:

The criteria is pretty difficult to meet.

This thread is more useful than I thought it would be

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Always wanted to, but there's not much to shoot in London.. I'm going for a gun license when I turn 18 though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILovePancakes)
    Always wanted to, but there's not much to shoot in London.. I'm going for a gun license when I turn 18 though.
    Hi. I know there is nothing in London :facepalm:. I'm just going to join a club soon. Are you around the outskirts of London ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I know there is nothing in London :facepalm:. I'm just going to join a club soon. Are you around the outskirts of London ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah. I'm thinking of doing the same when I get my licence.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I'm thinking of doing the same when I get my licence.
    haha, you are a female and enjoy this sport. it is nice to see

ReputationRep:
    haha, you are a female and enjoy this sport. it is nice to see
    My dad's German and he and my granddad used to hunt.. I think that's why.
    Then again, my sister would have a heart attack at the thought of killing anything.....

ReputationRep:
    so are you a student?
    Yup, I'm seventeen.
    You?

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I'm seventeen.
    You?
    yep studying at college in south lon

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.