Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Views on this custom build pc Watch

ReputationRep:
    I would get an i5 or i7, the rest of the spec you have is fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadow99)
    I would get an i5 or i7, the rest of the spec you have is fine.
    out of budget

ReputationRep:
    i3 is decent according to this review:

http://www.digitalversus.com/intel-c..._8569_342.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just_another_student)
    Looking to play games like COD, Grid, Fifa, NFS and so on...

The budget (£600) has to include a monitor (22" preferably).

How good is the 555 BE, alot of people have recommended but I personally feel that it maybe be abit outdated to play the demanding games that I have listed.
    Those games aren't demanding. Which FIFA, COD and which NFS? Even assuming the newest ones, they aren't that demanding.

The 555BE will handle those competently. The GPU is most important in games, although the CPU does factor as well. The 5770 is significantly inferior to the 5850. The 5850 will handle pretty much any game at 1920x1080. The 5770 is more suited to 1680x1050. The GTX 460 is a great contender because it overclocks incredibly well.

i3 is decent according to this review:

http://www.digitalversus.com/intel-c..._8569_342.html
    It is good in a low usage environment. For people who don't really play games the onboard graphics is fine so they can use more of their budget on the CPU.
    Your priority is a gaming machine so that's what we've specced up. Intel is still unable to compete with AMD on budget CPU performance. The 555BE is a generation old. By next month the i3 will also be a generation old. The difference is that with the Intel range you won't be able to upgrade to the new generation due to different sockets, with the AMD range you can because they've implemented a backwards compatibility approach.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do, don't listen to anyone that tells you to get AMD instead of Intel. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by win2kpro)
    Whatever you do, don't listen to anyone that tells you to get AMD instead of Intel. :facepalm2:
    On what basis?

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do, don't listen to fanboys.

ReputationRep:
    Decided to build one myself, it has worked out cheaper but most of all i'm doing it for the experience and personal control.

Brief spec:

AMD x2 555 black edition
    GTX 460 graphics card
    22" LED Full HD monitor
    500gb HDD
    coolermaster 430 case
    Antic 500w PSU

Some other bits and bobs.

It will be my first ever build, just wanted to ask how difficult it is? Will i be able to do it on my own?

ReputationRep:
    Decided to build one myself, it has worked out cheaper but most of all i'm doing it for the experience and personal control.

Brief spec:

AMD x2 555 black edition
    GTX 460 graphics card
    22" LED Full HD monitor
    500gb HDD
    coolermaster 430 case
    Antic 500w PSU

Some other bits and bobs.

It will be my first ever build, just wanted to ask how difficult it is? Will i be able to do it on my own?
    The motherboard is not a bit or bob.

Frankly it's quite easy. The component selection is probably the worst of it and the installation of software can bring up a couple of troubles sometimes, but that's just the fun of it. I'd recommend in investing in an anti-static wrist band. Cheap and cheerful. Keeps your components safe.
    Easily doable on your own. Just check out some of the vids on youtube or google.
    When you're ready to do a build with budget in hand give us a shout.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    The motherboard is not a bit or bob.

Frankly it's quite easy. The component selection is probably the worst of it and the installation of software can bring up a couple of troubles sometimes, but that's just the fun of it. I'd recommend in investing in an anti-static wrist band. Cheap and cheerful. Keeps your components safe.
    Easily doable on your own. Just check out some of the vids on youtube or google.
    When you're ready to do a build with budget in hand give us a shout.
    Couldn't think of the motherboard from the top of my head thats why I didn't list it, but anyway here it is:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/181968

Where can I buy an anti-static wrist band, ebuyer don't seem to sell one.

How would I install an operating system for the first time? Before installing i'm guessing you can access the BIOS, change the boot settings and then restart again with disk inserted?

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't think of the motherboard from the top of my head thats why I didn't list it, but anyway here it is:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/181968

Where can I buy an anti-static wrist band, ebuyer don't seem to sell one.

How would I install an operating system for the first time? Before installing i'm guessing you can access the BIOS, change the boot settings and then restart again with disk inserted?
    I'd get a better motherboard, ideally a full ATX sized one. The one you've linked is micro-ATX, only has two RAM slots and only supports CPUs up to 95W (effectively ruling out all but a stock-clocked dual core, and unlikely to be particularly resilient). If you intend to overclock, something like this (asus M4A79XTD EVO 790X) would do well. If it's only going to be run at stock settings, the MSI C45 is a decent motherboard. Although both support the latest 6-core processors with a BIOS update (thinking about future upgrades), you'd get USB3 and SATA III (for fast SSD drives) with an 800 series motherboard, so that might be worth considering.

Setting up the computer to boot from a DVD is indeed as simple as going into the BIOS and changing the boot priority.

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest going the Phenom/ATI route and overclocking those components, you'd save some cash, and have a more than decent quad core and a good GPU. What resolution do you plan on running? I just got a 1080p 23" and its making my games look like a slideshow, I'll have to upgrade the graphics now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
    I'd suggest going the Phenom/ATI route and overclocking those components, you'd save some cash, and have a more than decent quad core and a good GPU. What resolution do you plan on running? I just got a 1080p 23" and its making my games look like a slideshow, I'll have to upgrade the graphics now.
    Or cut the resolution down in the games for now? :idontknow:

OP What Somebody Else said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Or cut the resolution down in the games for now? :idontknow:

OP What Somebody Else said.
    I overclocked the card to max stable, and it seems to run alright on medium settings now. Should be getting a new card in the next few days.

The games look too good to cut the res down

ReputationRep:
    I overclocked the card to max stable, and it seems to run alright on medium settings now. Should be getting a new card in the next few days.

The games look too good to cut the res down
    What card? Also I assume you know the whole PSU thing? What have you ordered also?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    What card? Also I assume you know the whole PSU thing? What have you ordered also?
    Its a piece-of-crap 7950gt from my 4+ year old desktop at my parents house :rofl2: I only come over on the holidays so I havnt bothered upgrading. It works surprisingly well at these settings (ive tried it on GRAW 2 and RE5 at medium-low settings but at 1920x1080):

Spoiler:
    Show

PSU's a 500er so it should be an issue. Havnt ordered anything (In the middle east, so im going to have to go out and get something from the shops), and im thinking of trying to find an upper end 9 series.

Edit: Ive pushed the G-RAM up to about 800 and it still seems alright, and the GPU to 670. Lets see if it can take any more :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Its a piece-of-crap 7950gt from my 4+ year old desktop at my parents house :rofl2: I only come over on the holidays so I havnt bothered upgrading. It works surprisingly well at these settings (ive tried it on GRAW 2 and RE5 at medium-low settings but at 1920x1080):

Spoiler:
    Show

PSU's a 500er so it should be an issue. Havnt ordered anything (In the middle east, so im going to have to go out and get something from the shops), and im thinking of trying to find an upper end 9 series.

Edit: Ive pushed the G-RAM up to about 800 and it still seems alright, and the GPU to 670. Lets see if it can take any more :rofl:
    I don't know about the prices in the middle east but the 9 series is about 3 or 4 generations old now.
    Try for a Fermi/4 series..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    I don't know about the prices in the middle east but the 9 series is about 3 or 4 generations old now.
    Try for a Fermi/4 series..?
    I know, but I'm only here for another week, and I'm leaving my PC to my dad to just use as a general computer for web/word processing so getting something ridiculously cheap is of primary concern. I'm not exactly worried about top notch graphics since, its also an old ass AMD 5600+ and I'll pretty much never see the computer again

ReputationRep:
    I know, but I'm only here for another week, and I'm leaving my PC to my dad to just use as a general computer for web/word processing so getting something ridiculously cheap is of primary concern. I'm not exactly worried about top notch graphics since, its also an old ass AMD 5600+ and I'll pretty much never see the computer again
    oh fair enough then, just go with a cheap card. Although you may find AMD is more competitive at this range.

ReputationRep:
    Looking to play games like COD, Grid, Fifa, NFS and so on...

The budget (£600) has to include a monitor (22" preferably).

How good is the 555 BE, alot of people have recommended but I personally feel that it maybe be abit outdated to play the demanding games that I have listed.
    the games you have listed arent demanding :x

if youre wanting to run things like metro 2033 or bc2 you might want something a bit more chunky.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 5, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.