Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sukhman)
    mate r u sure tradeble permit is a regulations ?. everyone saying it isnt to me.
    regulations are anything that does not directly use of the price mechanism. i.e tax or subsidie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_cat)
    How taxes could be imposed on firms emitting high levels of carbon. Also how the government could subsides firm in order for them to invest in new technology/equiptment so the emit less carbon.
    what about you?
    the taxes - eg a tax on petrol maybe?
    good thinking about the subsidies - i didn't think of that.
    • PS Helper

As long as you analysed and evaluated I'm sure you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty123)
    the taxes - eg a tax on petrol maybe?
    good thinking about the subsidies - i didn't think of that.
    Yeah a tax on petrol, thats a good one. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi can anyone tell me what they wrote for question 3: how are prices determined for holidays in Maldives or something like that.. Thanksss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posh.totty)
    Hi can anyone tell me what they wrote for question 3: how are prices determined for holidays in Maldives or something like that.. Thanksss
    I wrote they are determined through the price mechanism. By the competition, desired profit and supply and demand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rishz)
    I wrote they are determined through the price mechanism. By the competition, desired profit and supply and demand.

Omg I'm sorta scared now. I wrote nothing like that. Ok thanks. But what about the 2nd supply n demand diagram wen thy said to comment on the effects on the Market equilibrium on the increase in guest houses and hotels.
    I shifted only the supply curve and left the demand curve the same but some others shifted both the supply and demand curve.

ReputationRep:
    Pollution permits is the intervention!

ReputationRep:
    i did the same i shifted both the supply curve and the demand curve. i asked my economics teacher and he said it was correct.
    • PS Helper

(Original post by Abassk)
    i did the same i shifted both the supply curve and the demand curve. i asked my economics teacher and he said it was correct.
    Why would the demand curve move? It only mentioned determinants of supply in the question (increase in hotels, etc) . . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posh.totty)
    Omg I'm sorta scared now. I wrote nothing like that. Ok thanks. But what about the 2nd supply n demand diagram wen thy said to comment on the effects on the Market equilibrium on the increase in guest houses and hotels.
    I shifted only the supply curve and left the demand curve the same but some others shifted both the supply and demand curve.
    I only shifted the supply curve too not sure that it was right though, lol I was thinking it might have been both.. but demand would have only changed to to the supply shifting.. soo thats why i left demand the same xx

ReputationRep:
    how did people find the XED question? because i'm not sure i answered it right, then the QD of kofu decreased by 40% and Maldova's price of holiday fell by 30% i did 40%/30% to give me +1.33 for the XED is that right.. so then i put that it was a substitute as it was positive and also that it was elastic as it was more than one..

ReputationRep:
    yee but building more houses increase supply then it would lead to a increase in demand, as more people demand holidays in that place.
    • PS Helper

yee but building more houses increase supply then it would lead to a increase in demand, as more people demand holidays in that place.
    You're getting confused between quantity demanded, and the demand curve. The quantity demanded will increase due to supply shifting right. The demand curve will not shift.

ReputationRep:
    More supply would not always lead to a increase in demand because somethimes there is excess supply. An increase in demand would only be a movement along the demand curve and not a shift in the curve itself

ReputationRep:
    humm.. maybe.. but as it only stated about the increases in hotels and stuff.. surely supply would increase first.. then after time due to the price decreasing there will be more demand. And if demand changes due to a lowered price it doesn't shift the demand, but it expands it so only a movement along the demand curve.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh that didn't go very well was too focused on Physics. The paper was fine up until that last question, didn't have a clue about regulations and carbon emissions (I thought it was something about carbon dioxide pollution and tradable permits, so blabbed a load about that..) and then that question before, anywhere else put that the beaches are a quasi public good (rival but non-excludable)?

Also, that question on the D & S if construction of hotels took place, I thought about it for ages. I knew it was an increase in supply and I didn't know if it was also an increase in demand, so I drew two demand curves and two supply curves..
    So worried

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrampingRampage)
    Ahh that didn't go very well was too focused on Physics. The paper was fine up until that last question, didn't have a clue about regulations and carbon emissions (I thought it was something about carbon dioxide pollution and tradable permits, so blabbed a load about that..) and then that question before, anywhere else put that the beaches are a quasi public good (rival but non-excludable)?

Also, that question on the D & S if construction of hotels took place, I thought about it for ages. I knew it was an increase in supply and I didn't know if it was also an increase in demand, so I drew two demand curves and two supply curves..
    So worried
    You're not wrong about the last question, i talked about permits too. Should be ok though as it is not effecting price if the government chose not to charge for them. The demand and supply question is wrong i think. shoul have only move demand. Remember factors effecting demand; income, population, trends, price (ish). Quasi public good is also correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xhollyxx)
    how did people find the XED question? because i'm not sure i answered it right, then the QD of kofu decreased by 40% and Maldova's price of holiday fell by 30% i did 40%/30% to give me +1.33 for the XED is that right.. so then i put that it was a substitute as it was positive and also that it was elastic as it was more than one..
    yhh i did the same and i also added comments that they are only estimates, and they would also may want to look PED and YED before making any assumptions
    • PS Helper

(Original post by TrampingRampage)

So worried
    I also put it was a quasi-public good, I was assuming that question would be more than 4 marks as it normally asks you 'to what extent' is it a public good. I spoke about some beaches being made excludable as well, but with difficulties, then mentioned how an empty beach is non-rivalrous, but a full beach is rivalrous.

Also, I'm pretty sure (unless someone has a decent enough reason to prove me wrong) that the demand curve has no reason to shift in that question.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.