Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which country currently has the best government and/or political ideology? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Singapore and Switzerland.

UK - it was good but these days it gives too much heed to the poor, low-working classes and minorities especially muslims to be of any good.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say either Sweden, Holland or maybe Canada. All deliciously Liberal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addzter)
    We're talking about which country currently has the best government, not what country was founded on the best principles.
    See above. Though ultimately France is still guided by the principles upon which it was founded. If anyone in this thread is looking for the perfect government, they won't find it, but in my opinion European liberal democracies like France are the "best" we currently have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    Singapore and Switzerland.

UK - it was good but these days it gives too much heed to the poor, low-working classes and minorities especially muslims to be of any good.
    Yes please to the market economy but you could do without the death penalty, and fines for everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    See above. Though ultimately France is still guided by the principles upon which it was founded. If anyone in this thread is looking for the perfect government, they won't find it, but in my opinion European liberal democracies like France are the "best" we currently have.
    I can see why France could potentially be the "best", but you can't argue that it is at the moment. You only need to look at the way they treated the Roma to see that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addzter)
    I can see why France could potentially be the "best", but you can't argue that it is at the moment. You only need to look at the way they treated the Roma to see that.
    I think that relates more to Sarkozy's government rather than the French state's "political ideology"...though I can definitely see your point. The countries you mentioned are all excellent too.

ReputationRep:
    I think that relates more to Sarkozy's government rather than the French state's "political ideology"...though I can definitely see your point. The countries you mentioned are all excellent too.
    I agree. I guess the thread title's a little misleading, actually; just because a state has a "good" political ideology doesn't mean its current government is also good.

ReputationRep:
    It's common knowledge that the more you put the words "democratic" and "peoples'" in your country's name, the better it is. Therefore the Democratic Peoples' Republic of North Korea should win purely for the irony.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it's pretty good in Norway. And other Scandinavian countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    who did consign this popular image of Scandinavia as the land where it is at.
    I don't know. But it's quite good in the Scandinavian countries. Hence, people think so?

ReputationRep:
    canada, the awesome country in the universe... france 2nd, south africa 3rd, sweeden 4th and joint 5th the all blacks and the swiss

ReputationRep:
    Japan.

ReputationRep:
    France.

Republicanism. Liberty. Equality. Fraternity. Secularism. Vive la France! :coma:
    Hahaha. Right wing. Conservatism. racial inequality. Vive la France? Je ne suis pas si sur.

ReputationRep:
    For me personally, the first place goes to = United States of America

ReputationRep:
    on paper, USA - division of powers, more elections than you can shake a stick at from president down to town dog-catcher, culture of openness, written constitution, devolved federal powers.

On the downside - too much concentration of power (whitehouse) wrt foreign policy - especially when it comes to starting wars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    have you been to Scandinavia?
    I've been to Norway. If I can change that to "Anything Nordic is a win", then I have also been to Finland and Iceland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    on paper, USA - division of powers, more elections than you can shake a stick at from president down to town dog-catcher, culture of openness, written constitution, devolved federal powers.

On the downside - too much concentration of power (whitehouse) wrt foreign policy - especially when it comes to starting wars.
    The same USA that is a two-party nation, home to FOX news (is it the most watched domestic news channel?!), where many people vote on PASS-PASS-PASS-PASS-PASS-Yippeeee, they're against abortion/gay rights. Oh, that place. And they spend double the% of GDP on healthcare as the UK, whilst the UK covers everyone! Oh, right. I see where you're coming from, I really really do! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    The same USA that is a two-party nation, home to FOX news (is it the most watched domestic news channel?!), where many people vote on PASS-PASS-PASS-PASS-PASS-Yippeeee, they're against abortion/gay rights. Oh, that place. And they spend double the% of GDP on healthcare as the UK, whilst the UK covers everyone! Oh, right. I see where you're coming from, I really really do! :rolleyes:
    Come on now, he said on paper. Many parts of the constitution and the democratic principles of the revolution were admirable but you're right, the modern state is flawed by the dominance of TNCs in influencing foreign and domestic policy, a (relatively) strong right wing populist movement and media and a lack of adequate social security.

Gotta love Canada and Holland

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and you need to be a millionaire to run for president.

it's an admirable system though - it's not written in stone that there has to be two parties or expensive healthcare...

If the people want more gay rights or no death penalty or whatever they'll get them (eventually) because it's a democracy.

and fox news - wtf has that got to do with the government? you think Obama should step in and shut it down?

ReputationRep:
    USA is nowhere near as good as many claim it to be, and they have a track record of lagging behind the rest of the Western world on civil rights issues: abolition, segregation, gay rights and secularism to name some straight off. Their imperialism and suppression of democracy worldwide doesn't help either, but I think that's largely an inevitable consequence of being powerful - even the most forward thinking countries would turn down that route in a second if they had the means. With that in mind I think the country with the best government must be one without much power. I think some good candidates would be the Scandinavian countries as lots of people have said, but also New Zealand. They're not perfect, but they rank favourably compared to other countries on corruption, income inequality and democracy to name a few.

(Original post by Iorek)
    Singapore
    *Death penalty
    *Corporal punishment
    *Compulsory military service
    *Homosexuality illegal

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.