Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Newspaper POLL Watch

• View Poll Results: Which newspaper do you read the most often?
    The Sun
    3.80%
    The Daily Mail
    6.96%
    The Guardian
    32.28%
    The Times
    17.72%
    The Independent
    10.76%
    The Telegraph
    13.29%
    Other
    6.96%
    I read more than one newspaper
    8.23%

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it would be the Mail, but only because I nick the puzzle section out of my dad's copy. Can't stand the crap that paper comes out with. I don't normally buy papers, but when I do I get the Guardian or the I.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Private Eye, oh I should read it more often. :p:

When will HIGNFY/Mock the Week come back? :sad:
    I wish I knew! I loved the xmas editions (and QI) so much! Ahh, I feel like it is definitely time for a new series of MtW though. Dave probably has one on now though.

I'll admit... I rarely get round to reading all of them all :ninja:

Male Melons -- The Sun shouldn't be the most popular, end of story!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, this is a forum of guardian readers... that goes some way to explaining quite a lot...
    I shudder to read people describing that... 'newspaper'... as 'liberal'. Horrible misuse of the word.

ReputationRep:
    The Times. Absolutely towers above the rest these days.

(Original post by BookWormShanti)
      I wish I knew! I loved the xmas editions (and QI) so much! Ahh, I feel like it is definitely time for a new series of MtW though. Dave probably has one on now though.

Thank God for Dave. :rolleyes:

Tbh, I love the way The Sun uses capitalism to its own advantage. If something wants to pay for a picture of tits and celebrity gossip, well it's their loss and Murdoch's gain. Hehehehe. :evil:

ReputationRep:
      I am a Telegraph girl.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)
      Thank God for Dave. :rolleyes:

Tbh, I love the way The Sun uses capitalism to its own advantage. If something wants to pay for a picture of tits and celebrity gossip, well it's their loss and Murdoch's gain. Hehehehe. :evil:
      They both gain. The buyer gets their tits; Murdoch gets his money.
      Capitalism kicks ass.

ReputationRep:
      No metro?

ReputationRep:
      I read the Sun because it has by far the best sports coverage and thats all I really buy a paper for, I get my news online. I also enjoy the quirky little stories it has. However before you all flame me, I don't read the actual major news stories in it and I agree with most of the criticism this section of the paper gets.

ReputationRep:
      I buy the Financial Times when I'm flushed with cash and want to make a large folded out mess on the couch next to me.The rest of the time it's either The Independant for Robert Fisk or the Sun for it's tits and war propaganda.

ReputationRep:

It is. People buy it. I read the sun online for sports to be honest. I wouldn't buy it.

ReputationRep:
      For me it's between the Scottish herald and the guardian.

ReputationRep:
      ft.
      apolitical.
      simples.

ReputationRep:
      I think the fail of Sun
      The Sun hardly failed, having the largest readership in the Great Britain (although I might be wrong! )

Still hate The Sun though...could hardly call it a newspaper

ReputationRep:
      I've gotten into the habit of reading both a left-wing and a right-wing paper or news site every day, plus the BBC. I compare polarised news coverage and develop it into a general idea of what's going on, not political spin. Things are so distorted that different newspapers will tell a completely different story on the same news item and present a different reality to their readers than others.

ReputationRep:
      FT only. Every other paper is a bit too insane for my liking. Not that the FT is unbiased or anything, but at least they try to give off the veneer of impartiality.

That being said though, I've never particularly understood the logic behind a paying for a news outlet just because it agrees with what you think.

Smacks of a large amount hubris; but hey, what do I know anyway?

ReputationRep:
      Can't believe you missed out The Star. Thanks to it, I don't have to buy Jordan's autobiography...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
      I've gotten into the habit of reading both a left-wing and a right-wing paper or news site every day, plus the BBC. I compare polarised news coverage and develop it into a general idea of what's going on, not political spin. Things are so distorted that different newspapers will tell a completely different story on the same news item and present a different reality to their readers than others.

Just to say, I recommend the magazine The Week for an unbiased coverage. It contains editorials from all the major newspapers and sums up all the main new of the week giving a range of viewpoints. It's good if you want to see both sides of the story. http://www.the.week.magazine.co.uk/?...45&network=GAW

Get most my news from the BBC website or on TV, my favourite paper on that list is the daily telegraph - but I prefer the economist.

ReputationRep:
        The daily record and guardian

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.