Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Online relationships sad? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If a relationship just stays online, it's sad. A LDR isn't sad. Actually I have met a guy online and then met him after we had talked for months. But he just lived in another city and I had friends who knew him irl. But if the guy would be living in another country... I think that's too much. I have read about one blogger (was she xiaxue?) from Singapore who started to date one guy from America - I just thought it was strange. But you are only 16! Are you even old enough to travel alone? I think you should wait, just keep talking to him online.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is yes. How did you meet?

ReputationRep:
    Stay friends with that added benefit that you know they'll stay a strong link to you because of the interest you both have, but don't take t further. theres having someone you feel you can relate and talk to, then theres showing your dodes once a week to a boy on the other side of the atlantic and never taking it any further. If you met him then it could work but otherwise people will think that it's strange.

ReputationRep:
    First assess whether you're genuinely interested in him, whether you can see a great relationship forming from it, you've known him five years and by now you should have a good idea whether or not you two are personality-wise, compatible.

Arrange to meet up. You need to do this, it's the major step which makes the relationship more true. It is possible to meet up, you just need the actual determination to meet up. If you went on holiday or if he came here, etc.

Go out on a date and see how it goes. Bare in mind though, talking online and talking in real life, as much as it isn't that awkward (I've met up with a girl I met on the internet before) but it's a different ball game. No matter how prepared you think you are, you will be shocked when you see them in real life and so will they. The sudden realisation that this is now reality, you can see physically see them, it's actually remarkable.

ReputationRep:
    No point unless you'll ever meet.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be the first to admit that ive had a few when i was much younger, like 12-15. That was because i was very very overweight, had no confidence and no girls liked me.
    But yes they are sad, but you can have some quite interesting conversations with these people and learn a lot about yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    If you'll never meet him, there's really no point whatsoever.
    Mmm, pretty much this. But bear in mind that if you really do get on very well, you might be able to meet him one day and it might be worth the effort.

Still, I wouldn't go 'in a relationship' with someone before that time comes. If only because I'm pretty sure if you meet someone in real life you get on with, and they want to go out with you, he'll be dropped in a second (and rightly so). It's just guaranteeing upset, really.

Why do I say 'pretty' so much? Darn.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really "asking you out" is it, seeing as the "out" part means actually physically going somewhere together yes it's sad

ReputationRep:
    As people said, it's only odd if you'll never ever meet. But if you really DO like each other, I don't see why you can't save up for a visit? I met my boyfriend online and though we didn't start a relationship until we actually met in real life, we both knew just from talking online that we REALLY liked each other and so I don't think you necessarily have to meet up to know that the spark is there.
    But please make sure that you see him on webcam to check that he's not actually 50 and living in his mother's basement.

ReputationRep:
    You're 16 and he's 47 17.

LAD much?

ReputationRep:
    Have you even seen what this guy looks like? I'm sure this happened on PANORAMA- one minute it's an innocent conversation and the next he could be posting naked pix of you all over the internet.
    Just be friends! You will meet some real life guys sooner or later.

ReputationRep:
    Why build up emotion attatchment with someone who lives so far, when you can do the same exact thing with someone who is close? Love can blossom from any relationship so don't see him as your only chance.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you could still wait.

You would deff go for a person who will really come up and meet you rather than the one who just fixes up timings to meet you online.

If he really really loves you ( & that's something only you know ) , then you could throw away the "risk" board and go with him !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen)
    How exactly would that relationship work? What next ? skype dates where you both sit in front of a webcam eating and chatting with the same movie in the background
    Much better ways to use a webcam. OP, think calling it a relationship is a bit dumb, but nothing stopping you both from getting on your webcams and jerking off in front of each other

ReputationRep:
    Its not a relationship really - for most people a relationship needs physical contact - what you have ia a friendship.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit split on this really. Personally, I wouldn't really go for that myself. However, I know people who have gotten married after meeting on the internet and a different couple who met on the internet and are brilliant together. It can work but I think you should be able to meet up with them in real life, in this case you probably can't so I wouldn't advise it. The people I know at least lived in the same country so could see each other, even if it was only say once a month or so.

ReputationRep:
    I've met up with someone from online and ended up having a relationship. I was actually seeing them physically though, it was sad the way i met her but not as bad as never actually seeing the person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prescilla)
    If a relationship just stays online, it's sad. A LDR isn't sad. Actually I have met a guy online and then met him after we had talked for months. But he just lived in another city and I had friends who knew him irl. But if the guy would be living in another country... I think that's too much. I have read about one blogger (was she xiaxue?) from Singapore who started to date one guy from America - I just thought it was strange. But you are only 16! Are you even old enough to travel alone? I think you should wait, just keep talking to him online.
    This basically.
    Meeting someone online isn't sad. But theres very little point if you are never going to meet.
    I met my gf online, but we met pretty quickly, and have been together for 16 months now .

(Original post by WarmEye)
    Why build up emotion attatchment with someone who lives so far, when you can do the same exact thing with someone who is close? Love can blossom from any relationship so don't see him as your only chance.
    You don't always choose who you fall in love with .

As someone who's met up with a lot of people IRL who I knew online originally, people aren't always anything like they seem on the internet. Not necessarily a fat 40yo, but they might be really shy or have a side to their personality that doesn't show up online and you might just not get along. I do think you can get to know people really well online and my current boyfriend is actually a guy I met online, but I'd hung out loads with him before we got together - I'd never start 'seeing' someone I'd never met.

I'd suggest that you stay friends and if the opportunity arises to meet up then do so, and see where it goes from there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically, I have an internet friend who lives in America (and I live in England), we talk quite a lot over facebook and get on well. I've never met him in real life but I've seen what he looks like. I've known him online for about 5 years I think.

He asked me out :\ and I don't know what to say. I'll never meet him irl. But I sort of want to say yes. I'm just worried, are online relationships strange and sad? I'm worried people on facebook will see I'm in a relationship and see he lives in a diff country and think I'm sad and can't get anyone else.

Arghhhhhh. lol be honest, don't spare my feelings. Btw I'm 16 and he is 17.
    I'm in one (US-UK) and I have known him since I was 12. We have been together now for almost 3 years. He came to visit me a few months ago. Best week of my life, and I have never smiled or laughed so much.

If you love the guy, of course it is not sad. Perhaps it is a little strange because a lot of people don't meet online etc but with dating sites and so on, it really is very acceptable now. Just make sure you can trust him to be committed to you.

I also have him on my facebook and at first I felt like you about it. But it's really nothing to be ashamed of, and it's not an exciting secret anyway. My boyfriend even posts comments saying hi to my friends randomly sometimes (even though we are not mutual friends) but they just say hi back and say they want to meet him - I don't think they think anything mean.

And anyway you don't have to "be in a relationship" on facebook just to be in a relationship haha. It's cute though.

I have a cousin who married a girl he met online. He knew her for about 2 years before they met the first time, and then took turns to meet once a year for the next few years.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.