Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it possible to teach a subject you don't have a degree in? Watch

ReputationRep:
    There's a Maths teacher in my school whose degree is in Psychology, and my Psychology teacher with a degree in Psychology also teaches Sociology, so... :dontknow:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    All the Physics teachers in my school did their first degree in Maths and until a couple of years ago, their Math counterparts all had degrees in Physics. Why they didn't swap departments confused me greatly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by satinder)
    hi guys, ermmm the question really is....ive graduated this year in accounting and finance with management...would i be able to do a PGCE in maths?...i didnt do an ALEVEL in maths because they wanted an A grade but i got a B???

Dont know what to do!!
    Yes, you should look into Mathematics Enhancement Courses on the TDA website. I'm on one at the moment, and there are only a few people who have an A-Level in Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yahyahyahs)
    All the Physics teachers in my school did their first degree in Maths and until a couple of years ago,
    when you say first degree in maths, you mean they had to do a second degree to end up teaching physics???
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloomblaze)
    when you say first degree in maths, you mean they had to do a second degree to end up teaching physics???
    Sorry, I meant undergraduate and PGCE in the same subject. Strange I think, but some of them were quite good at Maths. However, one Physics teacher's ability was, to put it nicely, rubbish. She really did not understand what she was teaching us, let alone us understanding her!

I just call them first degrees because it's easier to say, type and so many people have MA and PhDs nowadays, I thought it would be easier to distinguish which degree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.