Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyrose018)
    yeah i'm redoing this too I got an A on unit 2 and a D on unit 1 in which I did Russia in Revolution and Stalin's Russia. Im not to sure how i ended up with a D but many people at my school didn't do so well in this unit I think its just really tricky. I really need to try and get an A this time round in this unit. I've been doing a load of revision but the information doesn't seem to be sticking. Has anyone got any good perhaps unusual revision tips for Russia i've tried so many different things.

Good Luck with your resits I'm sorry but I don't know much about the units your taking. The only thing I can suggest may help is having an essay structure for each type of Q both cause qs and change qs.

Was it the source paper you got a D grade in? If so I'm in the same position :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Haha I nailed the India source paper a few years back. I have some past paper questions and answers if you want them too look over. Technique is important but also make sure you know the content, especially the dates of specific events.

I always used to revise from timetables that I made to help remember dates and everything. I think I still have the one I made for India on my computer somwhere if you're interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma2010)
    The source paper is hard I remember being told you couldn't just bring in knowledge related to the question unless it had to do with or backed up something mentioned in a source. Not sure if that's 100% true though
    That's the badger. I just hate sources so much, it's like 'I know the stuff- I don't need pictures of a Victorian postcard and a newspaper article to help me' :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lechaton-x)
    Could you tell me how to 'write properly' please? For the source paper more so!
    make a point...

back it up, using the source, and then use the other sources to help back up the point or to refute the point, (thus using sources together and cross referencing)

remember, for every source, do:

Date
    Author
    Nature
    Origin
    Purpose
    Reliability
    Inference
    Cross reference

and thats it really...

it sounds like a lot, but you should be able to write an essay with 3 sources in 1.5-3pages and do all that...

just make sure its in good english, sounds credible and that you have backed everything, analysed everything and cross referenced everything.....as even if you have the most obscure point in the world, but you have given evidence to support it etc.....then you will get the marks....

perhaps if you can hunt down a copy of the mark scheme, that might help to see what they are looking for...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    make a point...

back it up, using the source, and then use the other sources to help back up the point or to refute the point, (thus using sources together and cross referencing)

Date
    Author
    Nature
    Origin
    Purpose
    Reliability
    Inference
    Cross reference

and thats it really...

it sounds like a lot, but you should be able to write an essay with 3 sources in 1.5-3pages and do all that...

just make sure its in good english, sounds credible and that you have backed everything, analysed everything and cross referenced everything.....as even if you have the most obscure point in the world, but you have given evidence to support it etc.....then you will get the marks....

perhaps if you can hunt down a copy of the mark scheme, that might help to see what they are looking for...
    LOVE THIS
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    They really aren't! I know the mark for each Q & paper because it's printed on the photocopy, but I don't know what parts they were for because there weren't any ticks or anything...
    There are no workshops except for maybe 2 before the exam, if it's an exam that people are taking 1st time at the normal date.
    I don't think anyone else is resitting with me either
    Exactly - do you have the mark scheme which tells you what the marks should be allocated for?

Ouch Good luck with it still, and hopefully we'll both come out with the grades we want!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    make a point...

Date
    Author
    Nature
    Origin
    Purpose
    Reliability
    Inference
    Cross reference

and thats it really...

Thanks. How would you write answers for the non-source paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SOA Vamp)
    Exactly - do you have the mark scheme which tells you what the marks should be allocated for?

Ouch Good luck with it still, and hopefully we'll both come out with the grades we want!
    No, Edexcel is crappy and doesn't put it on their website, it's June so I doubt they'd have put it up anyway.

Good luck to you too ! I can't believe the exams are coming up so fast, I have a week till the 1st history paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Haha I nailed the India source paper a few years back. I have some past paper questions and answers if you want them too look over. Technique is important but also make sure you know the content, especially the dates of specific events.

I always used to revise from timetables that I made to help remember dates and everything. I think I still have the one I made for India on my computer somwhere if you're interested.

Thanks! anything you could put up would be useful. It's really hard to get hold of edexcel papers

ReputationRep:
    oh im resitting the source paper as got a c (British Political History in the 19th century) in it but got a high A in the China paper, though h avent started revising yet as its my last one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alwaysanigel247)
    oh im resitting the source paper as got a c (British Political History in the 19th century) in it but got a high A in the China paper, though h avent started revising yet as its my last one
    That's lucky it's last, my History retakes are before my A2 exams which sucks.

Freaky, I do/did the same subjects as you (dropped History ) almost all the same boards + I'm applying for Geog and have an offer from Sussex too

An A in China :eek:!

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Does anyone know what question was on the 2010 paper on Stalin's russia edexcel. I want to practice exam answers, but I don't know if the question on women in jan 2010 was how far did the role of women in russia change between 1928 and 1941 or if it wasn't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizstyle)
    As an AS student, when did you start your revision process (as in what month)? Did you plan how you were going to revise or did you just do it? And, lastly, how many hours were you putting in?

Sorry for the questions, I just want to know how and when to structure my revision process for the summer. I didn't take History at GCSE
    Tis not a problem I usually start revising in Febuary and slowly ease myself into it, and it also gives me plenty of time. I planned to a certain extent, but mostly I just copied out and memorised large chunks of the text book. Most weekends until study leave (in May) and then every day from then on, I went to the town library from 9-ish and left when it closed at about 5-ish. I probably took it to the extreme, but I did come out of the exam with 100%, so it certainly paid off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)

Can you share the questions/sources/answers, please?

ReputationRep:
    I suck at exams.
    I got a U last time.

I know I could've done more revision but I have no idea how I ended up with a U!

ReputationRep:
    I'm jealous you only have to retake one! I have loads of other exams in January too. My first history exam is on the 13th!

I'm ok on the knowledge too (once I go over it...), almost got a B on the source paper, but my essay skills are kind of crap... You got an A, you have to tell me how you did it!

Maybe the grade boundaries will be lower for the january exams?
    not doing the same topics... but for the exam on the 13th (eek) ! I've een doing practice essays rather than memorising the textbook... doing possible questions for each topic. Just explain everything. This led to X because Y meant that A happened

ReputationRep:
    So worried about these exams... got a C in both first times round. I need to get an A or B... but god knows if I can!
    I think I know most of the stuff this time for Nazi Germany/Reunification of Germany but not for the Womens Suffrage (Sources) part which is on 20th

I guess it's all in the questions which are going to come up, they were so bad for the Nazi Germany topic last year... hoping that early cold war Germany and the problems of Weimar come up this time!

OP, the subjects you have to do sound much harder than mine, good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Exam technique!!

Actually analysis and evaluate.

Last year when I did this, I knew a only a little on the first section I had done but that made me flaunt that by actually analysising and evaluating it. and I must have done quite decently as my UMS for the exam was 96/100. Don't just reel off all that you know.

Make plans for different essays that might come up. I went over one with another lad and my teacher a couple of days before the exam and that question came up (lucky I say :p:) but with a different enthasis. Focus on that enthasis and then write about the other issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alwaysanigel247)
    Im doing 19th century as well, is this the reform act and chartism yeah?

ReputationRep:
    OMDZ its on thursday!
    i havent actually revised everything...last time i revised everything and got such a bad grade...i feel like they r looking more for exam technique and thats something i just dont get plus i didnt history for GCSEs so other students seemed to have learnt exam technique then....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.