Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Do you get a headache by reading a normal book (when you're not wearing glasses)?

You did use the word 'read' - just making sure.
    I do get a headache if I read without my glasses. Small things are really difficult for me to focus on properly.

ReputationRep:
    I got a Kindle for Christmas and I love it. It's much better than taking a load of books around.

ReputationRep:
    Having an electronic screen defeats the purpose of reading. Why not just put movies on it?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ah, well all I know about that is that you can increase and decrease the font of books (a few options) within the Kindle - which may help tackle the problem.

Spoiler:
    Show

Smallest font:

To:

Ah that might help. Computer screens are actually really bad for your eyes - a higher percentage of young people are losing their eyesight because they spend a lot of time on the PC. Is it more like a computer or a book, screen wise?

ReputationRep:

HURRY UP KINDLE!

EDIT: Why the holy crap did someone neg me for this?! Lmao

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably get one once the price has come down.

At the moment they are much too expensive. I think the cheapest one is around £70.

I've other things I would prefer to spend £70 on.

ReputationRep:
    I bought an ebook reader a year ago, the Elonex 511eb. I love it! It's got a microSD card slot, and I have around 4GB of books, documents, and all my work backed up on it already! I have loads of past papers on it, and it makes quick reviewing easy at virtually anywhere. I wish that I could afford the Kindle 3! It looks great!

But until lately, I realised maybe I might not buy the Kindle 3 when I have sufficient money. I might save up a teeny bit more and buy the Asus EEE Note - for permanent note-taking, as well as being an 8 inch e-reader!

Here's what I have already:

I also had one of these as well for a few months:
    http://www.talkandroid.com/wp-conten...oid-tablet.jpg and I hated, then loved, then sold it because I needed the money!

I'm just a person who saves and saves, even with little 10p's and 5p's, and then blows it all within minutes! I'm pretty poor now!

ReputationRep:
    It does? What purpose is that? To read text? The best E-readers only have reading capabilities, nothing more.
    My mother's one (the kindle from Amazon) has speakers on it, I assumed it would at least have the ability to read out aloud the text, possible in the voice of Stephen Fry or if you are after a feminine voice, Ann Robinson? This is how I would have done it had I been appointed product manager.

ReputationRep:
    I love my kindle! Really its just like reading a book with the e-ink screen. It is going to be fantastic for travelling - already I have quite a few guides, and loads of books on it which I never would have been able to carry around otherwise. Can't fault it really. Esp with free internet, so can email home when abroad etc. Top notch piece of kit.

ReputationRep:
    That would be awesome. Unfortunately, you are left with Steven Hawking as the voice that reads aloud.
    Haha

ReputationRep:
    I love my Kindle. Sadly mine has a faulty battery and so has to be exchanged.

ReputationRep:
    How is the Kindle for notetaking? Is there any way of taking notes without them being annotations on an actual book?

ReputationRep:
    I was deliberating whether i should get one of these, thinking it might be better not to.. now i've read this i think i'll definitely get one, thanks x

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering getting a Kindle. I used my friend's and it is remarkably like reading a book and, as I buy all of my books online anyway, it'd stop me having to wait ages for them to be delivered when I fancy reading something.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a Kindle... had it since the frist wave of UK releases, and really wouldn't be without it now!

do you think this is a cheaper option to buying all of the books from the reading list at uni? i have heard of people having to fork out over £200 for the specific books....anybody think this is a better option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoxySoph)
    do you think this is a cheaper option to buying all of the books from the reading list at uni? i have heard of people having to fork out over £200 for the specific books....anybody think this is a better option?
    If you need to read a book cover to cover e-readers are fine, but if it's a textbook where you'll be flipping back and forth to an index to find what you need then e-readers aren't ideal. So I wouldn't recommend it for uni books, flipping between non-consecutive pages is simply too cumbersome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    How is the Kindle for notetaking? Is there any way of taking notes without them being annotations on an actual book?
    note taking is relatively easy on the kindle.

You can highlight certain parts of the text, type in any notes you have. Then, when you want to go back to it, press the menu button, go to the option to see all notes and a list of all the notes you have made and where in the book they will appear on the screen.

Also, due to the internet capbilites of it, you can have it set up so that any particular sections of the book that many other people have highlighted will be underlined in your copy of the book. Making it easier to find important parts of the text.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoghurt)
    note taking is relatively easy on the kindle.

You can highlight certain parts of the text, type in any notes you have. Then, when you want to go back to it, press the menu button, go to the option to see all notes and a list of all the notes you have made and where in the book they will appear on the screen.

Also, due to the internet capbilites of it, you can have it set up so that any particular sections of the book that many other people have highlighted will be underlined in your copy of the book. Making it easier to find important parts of the text.
    Sorry, I realised I didn't make myself very clear. I meant as in if I just wanted to create a new note, without it being "attached" to a book as such, is that possible? Thanks a lot for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoxySoph)
    I have sony ereader, and unless you can read scrawl that looks like it has been done by a disabled 2 year old, you're not likely to be able to read yours or anyone elses annotations

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2012
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.