Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The best way to invest £10,000? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilzyy)
    I know of a nigerian man who could invest your money for you very well...
    yes. me too.

ReputationRep:
    Im suprised non of you have suggested 5000 £2 scratch cards. Top price of £25,000.
    with 5000 your bound to win the top price atleast once!

And think of all the smaller prizes you'd win too....
    Im seeing 3x profit ATLEAST!

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    If you really do not want to spend any, i would stick half in a savings account which tracks the FTSE 100 for one year, and the other half in a regular highish interest savings account for one year.

I reckon you could make 10% if you did that in 2011, you get 3% in a normal savings account and i can see the FTSE rising a good 7%.

ReputationRep:
    Bet it. Manchester united to win vs blackpool gets 1/8. That's over 1000 profit in 90 minutes, and the odds are in your favour.

Investing in banks or businesses are virtually a bet anyway, exept this is a lot faster and you don't need to know about banks/buisnesses to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Put the £10 000 on one roulette spin.
    You get £10 000 profit and can invest your initial £10k and do whatever with the profit!

Nah seriously though an ISA would be good.
    Or gold bars! Seriously with the price of gold rising, gold bars are a good investment

ReputationRep:
    invest in silver, value is going up now! (apparently, i don't know nothing about economics)

ReputationRep:
    Invest in Brazilian banks.

No need to thank me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krov)
    Invest in Brazilian banks.

No need to thank me.
    That actually isn't that much of a bad idea!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    That actually isn't that much of a bad idea!
    I've managed three figure returns on investment with real estate in Brazil.
    Now it's banks.
    It will be oil circa 2015.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    If you really do not want to spend any, i would stick half in a savings account which tracks the FTSE 100 for one year, and the other half in a regular highish interest savings account for one year.

I reckon you could make 10% if you did that in 2011, you get 3% in a normal savings account and i can see the FTSE rising a good 7%.
    That would give a 5% return, not 10%.

My advice would be to look at your time frame for wanting/needing access to the funds. If > 5 years then stockmarket might be the answer, if < 5 years you leave yourself somewhat open to needing to encash at the wrong time vis a vis the market.

Other than the above, if the stockmarket, you probably wish to diversify e.g. not all eggs in one basket.

I favour, for my own investments, mainly higher yield FTSE 100 companies, however you probably would need minimum circa 15 holdings to spread individual stock risk, and with £10,000 the broking charges would be quite high proportionate to the sums invested.

A spread of risk into BRIC funds coupled with some UK index tracker might be interesting, but I would only look at this with a >10 year time horizon.

None of the above I would term "safe".

ReputationRep:
    Poker obviously.

ReputationRep:
    Buy £10,000 worth of oil.

Or just give it to me.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Buy a boat. You'll be laughing when the worst of global warming kicks in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.