Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Alcohol and Paracetomol Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dcspike)
    Probably coming from a guy whos currently in hospital I imagine
    I was concerned when I google'd the possible consequences in the morning I must say..

(Original post by MrGuillotine)
      I find that hard to believe and going to need to see some proof.
      then go look it up jackass

Prescott, L. F., 2000, Paracetamol, alcohol and the liver, Br. J. Clin. Pharmacol., 49, 291-301.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jamie)
      then go look it up jackass

Prescott, L. F., 2000, Paracetamol, alcohol and the liver, Br. J. Clin. Pharmacol., 49, 291-301.
      Firstly, when the author claims that acute ingestion of alcohol has a protective effect, he cites animal studies, which cannot be extrapolated to man with any certainty:

79. Interaction of ethanol with acetaminophen metabolism in the baboon.

82. Effects of ethanol ingestion on the metabolism of a hepatotoxic dose of paracetamol in mice.

134. Lee S-M, Cho T-S, Cha Y-N. Ethanol prevents from acetaminophen inducible hepatic necrosis by inhibiting its metabolic activation in mice.

Secondly, this more recent study does not support the above authors claims of alcohols protective effect in the acute setting, but argued against it:

Unexpectedly, acute alcohol intake did not independently influence the course of acetaminophen overdose. This finding is in contrast to observations from animal studies where acute alcohol ingestion marginally decreased the toxic effects of acetaminophen by competitive interaction with CYP2E1 [cites the references I've listed above]
      Thirdly, this study in addition to refuting your citated paper's claim about chronic alcohol, has this finding on acute alcohol intake:

Acute ingestion of alcohol is believed to protect against
      the hepatotoxicity of acetaminophen and is suggested to
      eliminate the effect of chronic alcohol abuse.14,35 [Again, the animal study].
      In the present study, acute alcohol ingestion in alcoholic patients
      was a significant protective factor that eliminated
      the risk associated with regular alcohol abuse. However,
      we could not show any protective effect of cointoxication
      with alcohol in nonalcoholic patients (Table 3). The protective
      effect of acute alcohol ingestion is apparently limited
      to alcoholic patients.
      It's also funny to see you cherry pick your info. The paper you quoted seems to also argue against your other point (which is now known) that chronic alcohol abusers are at an increased risk of liver damage. Then again, you probably didn't even read it and would rather talk a load of *******s.

And lol at your moronically ironic signature.

ReputationRep:
      Follow the dose/instructions/warnings on the box and all will be well...

unless you're buying the kiddie pharms to avoid reading booze warnings

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by theths)
      even if it doesn't harm you, i've heard that mixing alcohol and meds (even just stuff like paracetamol and aspirin) can leave you wasted
      is that true?
      extremely so, same as on an empty stomach. Painkillers + alcohol = wasted on the slightest amount of alcohol and no memory of your night. You'll also spew ahwai. Proven multiple times by my smart friends.

ReputationRep:
      Nah you'll be fine. If you keep doing it over and over you will mess up your liver and die from liver failiure. But that's in extreme cases. Paracetomol is prefectly safe to take whilst drinking.

blah blah blah.
        So basically looking at all groups taking alcohol acutely is either a) protective b) makes no differrence.

In no group does it worsen the effect of paracetamol.

Which was what others had said, and what I was arguing against.

Furthermore the level of alcohol needed to put one in the chrnoc alcohol group of most studies, and the level required to put you on the high risk nomogram of the paracetamol overdose is that above the recommended amount. i.e. 21/14units a week (male/female). A level that includes a high percentage of 18-21 year olds.

And FYI thats just one study there are others. Pubmed it if it means that much to you.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Jamie)
        So basically looking at all groups taking alcohol acutely is either a) protective b) makes no differrence.

Furthermore the level of alcohol needed to put one in the chrnoc alcohol group of most studies, and the level required to put you on the high risk nomogram of the paracetamol overdose is that above the recommended amount. i.e. 21/14units a week (male/female). A level that includes a high percentage of 18-21 year olds.

And FYI thats just one study there are others. Pubmed it if it means that much to you.
        STILL doesn't mean we should be condoning paracetamol overdosing with alcohol as its potentially less riskier...face it, ANY paracetamol overdose isn't risk free. If you want to kill yourself kids, there are mucb quicker, cleaner less-liver failing ways!

OP, you've taken a small dose don't worry- maybe lay off the alcohol whilst you're unwell atleast. Also avoid anti-inflammatories whilsf on alcohol. I do suggest taking an adult dose tho...lensip if you hate tablets?

(Original post by Subcutaneous)
          STILL doesn't mean we should be condoning paracetamol overdosing with alcohol as its potentially less riskier...face it, ANY paracetamol overdose isn't risk free.
          Good lord smurf no.

Its a 'I've had booze and have a headache, can I take paracetamol? Answer - Yes' statement only.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Anonymous)
          Thank you for your replies.

I shall be more careful in future, but I am glad to know that I shan't be popping my clogs this evening.

+ Calpol *is* for children primarily, but I like how it tastes, so why not?
          Haha...I too like how it tastes! Feck it, if kids can have, then why can't I?

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Jamie)

I never said it was harmful - I was questioning your assertion that it was protective, which only applies to chronic alcoholics. So unless you think TSR is full of alcoholics, wtf were you thinking?!

Pff, you're the one that gave me a dud paper to look at and now you're telling me to pubmed it? lol. maybe you should do a bit of reading next time and not be so quick to weild your axe. hope you dont give your patients such crap advice. :rolleyes:

I never said it was harmful - I was questioning your assertion that it was protective, which only applies to chronic alcoholics. So unless you think TSR is full of alcoholics, wtf were you thinking?!
            Alcoholics and people who drink an excess of alcohol are two different things.

When I was in university I (like many people on this site I'm sure) drank more than the recommended amount (21/14).
            That level makes one high risk for paracetamol toxicity.

Physical/mental addiction (being alcoholic) has little to do with it.

Seriously whats with the giant McChip on your shoulder?

ReputationRep:
            Wonder who I'll choose to believe here...

ReputationRep:
            Why does everyone worship Calpol? I hated it, I remember being really ill when I was little and spitting it on my bed because I didn't want it that much.
            Mind you I seem to just have a general aversion to medicine, I was scared to have paracetamol until I was like, 14. hah. I had been drunk before I'd had a paracetamol. bleak.

ReputationRep:
            :ymca:

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Anonymous)
            I have a throat infection/flu-like symptoms, and have had 1400mg of paracetomol today via calpol (not over the limit), and also two non-drowsy sudafed containing pseudo-ehpedrine.

I had my last calpol dose around two hours ago, but an hour ago drunk around 6 units of port.

May seem silly, but I did not consider the fact that medication and alcohol are not to be mixed. Will I be okay? It's not like I've drunk a LOT, but I am worried now.

Thanks
            1400mg of paracetamol sounds a lot

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Nacho King)
            1400mg of paracetamol sounds a lot
            Paracetamol usually comes in tablets of 500mg, you usually take two at a time thus 1000mg.

So it's not much at all really, 3 tablets.

Most guides with paracetamol say you can safely take up to 8 tablets (4,000mg) per day

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Ultimate_Geek)
            I used to pretend to be ill when I was little just to get some Calpol :coma:.
            it tastes so damn good so i cant blame you :coma:

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Jamie)
            Alcoholics and people who drink an excess of alcohol are two different things.

When I was in university I (like many people on this site I'm sure) drank more than the recommended amount (21/14).
            That level makes one high risk for paracetamol toxicity.

Physical/mental addiction (being alcoholic) has little to do with it.

Seriously whats with the giant McChip on your shoulder?
            :mfing: & :hnn:

Submit reply
          TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2011
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.