Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to teach myself to write left handed? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    People do it all the time when they break their dominant hand's wrist or finger.
    Nah, I just want to do it as I'm insanely bored over Christmas :p:

ReputationRep:
    I can do it, but my writing's **** with my left hand. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_Gail)
    I can do it, but my writing's **** with my left hand. :P
    How did you learn?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Then go for it then!
    Yeah, I know I'd be better learning a foreign language or something, but who needs that when you can write with both hands! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    How did you learn?
    I've always been able to do it. I don't remember learning, but I think when I was little (three-ish) I used to switch when I was colouring and my hand got tired.

Yeah, I know I'd be better learning a foreign language or something, but who needs that when you can write with both hands! :p:
      OR learn a foreign language whilst writing with your left hand.

ReputationRep:
      omg ive been trying to do this for months :rofl::ninja:

whenever i try writing with my left hand it feels more comfortable if i write the words backwords...

ReputationRep:
      I'm pretty sure practice is the only way; you can retrain your brain but it'll take some major concentration and repetition.

ReputationRep:
      They used to teach left-handed kids to use their right hand by tying their left hand behind their back and forcing them to use their right hand. When the child did something wrong with their right hand or tried to use the left, they were beaten.

Maybe that would work? :dontknow:

Spoiler:
      Show
      This is clearly a joke ... I hope. Well, the beating; restraining your right and forcing yourself to use the left might well work.

ReputationRep:
      I've left handed but never ever been able to learn to write with my right hand . My dad is both.

ReputationRep:
      i did when i was about 8 and it ruined my handwriting with my right hand because i got use to writing with my left hand

ReputationRep:
      Nadal is actually right handed but was taught to play tennis left handed. Although everyone knows that already.

ReputationRep:
      I found it so frustrating, particularly when you're right handed and you're writing with your left hand in exams.

But yeah, practising eventually makes it easier.

ReputationRep:
      Ok, so I'm naturally right handed and want to teach myself how to write left handed for some unknown reason. It was just an idea that came into my head and I want to try it.

So has anyone ever done this, or had any experience with this and could give me tips and ideas on how to do this?

Any help is appreciated
      When I was younger and first started writing, my family realised I was left handed and didn't approve for some nonsensical reason. So they tried to get me to start writing with my right hand..as a result I can write pretty well with my right hand (even though I'm still left handed). Initially, it took me some practice to get used to it, but I do it all the time now

Just practice and practice..there is honestly not much else you can do! Also look at the way left handed people hold their pen etc

I had a teacher who used to stand in the middle of the board, write to the centre with her left hand, swap hands and then write to the end of the right hand side! It was brilliant and you could hardly tell. I'm not that good..My right handed writing looks sloppy but it's completely legible which comes in useful!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hooovan*)
      When I was younger and first started writing, my family realised I was left handed and didn't approve for some nonsensical reason. So they tried to get me to start writing with my right hand..as a result I can write pretty well with my right hand (even though I'm still left handed). Initially, it took me some practice to get used to it, but I do it all the time now

Just practice and practice..there is honestly not much else you can do! Also look at the way left handed people hold their pen etc

I had a teacher who used to stand in the middle of the board, write to the centre with her left hand, swap hands and then write to the end of the right hand side! It was brilliant and you could hardly tell. I'm not that good..My right handed writing looks sloppy but it's completely legible which comes in useful!

Good luck
      So why exactly were your parents against you being left handed?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Diaz89)
      Why would anyone do this exactly :curious:
      Because it looks pretty damned cool when you're in an art exam drawing something and you're drawing the outline in one pencil in your right hand and shading in a different pencil in your left hand!

ReputationRep:
      Start tossing off with your left hand, and go from there?

ReputationRep:
      leftie, here :*
      i learned how to write right handed by......teaching myself to DRAW right handed first. y'know.......stuff like fruit, etc. o_O writing came afterwards,when my pointing finger + thumb had become used to holding a pencil (thicker skin from all the callouses gotten by holding pencils wrong/too tight ;D).
      now i prefer doing most things right handed , such as brushing my teeth and playing tennis.i even play guitar right handed,though i only because they didnt sell any affordable lefthanded guitars in my home country when i started to learn........ ^^

ReputationRep:
      Why?

Being right-handed is awesome! You can, you know, do things and write properly.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.