Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TexasHold'emMan)
    It seems that you only know how to attack china like a baby and funny thing is you have never actually traveled to the majority of Chinese cities but gave loads of **** about the entire country to mislead people. I seriously reckon you are more than just overly menopausal
    I don't need to travel to every part of China to know not a lot of people speak English. I've been to most of the touristy places (where English is likely to be more common) and that is just my observation. Are you disagreeing with this, would you say a large percentage of Chinese people speak English?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhooooo)
    I'd like to travel as soon as i get my degree. The excuse to do that is a gap year!
    My idea of gap year also involves a little job to raise money to survive abroad!
    I've restricted my choices to 3 countries:
    Mexico, China or Australia!
    So where would you go? Why?

I'm thinking more and more about China! Life there seems pretty cheap and the culture very interesting but the language barrier would be immense. That would probably be the main trouble to communicate and find any kind of job! However an intensive chinese course and a full immersion could help a lot!
    I don't know a lot about Mexico but Spanish could be pretty easy to learn for me and the food there is so YUMMM :eating::eating::excited:

What do you reckon? Anyone has been either in China, Mexico or Australia? Otherwise how did u spend your gap-year?
    thanks in advance for your reply!
    why not all three countries? spend 4 months in each?

ReputationRep:
    China is great, I'm living here for 3 months. Its cheap to live and very safe. Not a lot of people speak English, even in BJ, but they try and are very friendly so you can get by with gestures.

Just be sure to take your passport everywhere you go, you need ID for just about everything. From booking hotels to sending letters, and the police have been known to do random ID checks on forigners

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renner)
    but they try and are very friendly so you can get by with gestures.
    This, it's safe to say you learn a lot about non verbal communication in China :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    I don't need to travel to every part of China to know not a lot of people speak English. I've been to most of the touristy places (where English is likely to be more common) and that is just my observation. Are you disagreeing with this, would you say a large percentage of Chinese people speak English?
    You know I was not arguing against you on that

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Australia, been here since November. I'm not a backpacker as I am living with my dad in Adelaide so I haven't traveled. It was easy for me to find a job (fast food). I am from New Zealand and also went there last year for a few weeks and leaving to go there next friday! I have had the best experience flying over here and even though I have been with family the attractions I have been to is just awesome!

Wherever you decide to go, good luck!

I am so happy I differed my entry to university

ReputationRep:
    Australia out of those 3 for sure. China/Mexico too dangerous for my liking.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.