Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My new girlfriend's dad thinks I'm a **** Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just tell him straight "Would you rather your daughter date someone you think is a **** or date a guy who has a ****?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    As the title says really.

I met the parents of my new girlfriend the other night, I was perfectly polite, chatty, ate the dinner they gave me, helped them out with bringing their Christmas presents downstairs, took their daughter out and made sure she was back (in a car) well in advance of the time they specified for her to be home.

Still though, he thinks I'm a ****.

What can I do? I thought that I could be persistent and show him that I'm not a **** and I have no intention of hurting his daughter, but that sounds boring. Anyone got any more interesting suggestions on how to deal with this? The funnier the better.. I just need some cheering up I think, come on TSR!
    What else do you want the guy to think? You're having a pussy party with his daughter!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dzeh)
    What else do you want the guy to think? You're having a pussy party with his daughter!
    I'm actually not

yet :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should send him a card.
    Something like:

"Hey, I'm your daughter's girlfriend.

I'm not a ****.

Thanks, bye."

Or something.
    [Hope this at least helps to cheer you up xD]
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just don't worry about it? You're dating her, not her family. If you guys are happy, they'll come to terms with it.

But, drinking beer from a can when offered? I don't know. I think it'd probably have been better to go down the glass of wine route or similar. (Or at least ask for a glass!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    As the title says really.

I met the parents of my new girlfriend the other night, I was perfectly polite, chatty, ate the dinner they gave me, helped them out with bringing their Christmas presents downstairs, took their daughter out and made sure she was back (in a car) well in advance of the time they specified for her to be home.

Still though, he thinks I'm a ****.

What can I do? I thought that I could be persistent and show him that I'm not a **** and I have no intention of hurting his daughter, but that sounds boring. Anyone got any more interesting suggestions on how to deal with this? The funnier the better.. I just need some cheering up I think, come on TSR!

Are you her first girlfriend? Is he comfortable with her sexuality, and for how long has he known his daughter is gay? Perhaps he's just having a hard time getting used to the idea that his daughter is gay, and the fact that she's got a girlfriend is a kind of definite sign of her sexuality, like a reminder :erm: I think these things tend to resolve themselves over time. Just continue to be pleasant, polite, chatty and don't be put off by the fact that he seems to resent you; give him time have you spoken to your girlfriend about this? Hope things get better for you! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mau5)
    He might not be a fan of sin?
    Are you having a laugh?

ReputationRep:
    Do you know why he thinks you're a ****?

ReputationRep:
    Is he a Conservative? Because if he is, theres your answer.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know it's not because he doesn't like the idea of his daughter being a lesbian?

ReputationRep:
    it's coz u is a lezzer innit *brap* (is brap an action or a word idk :confused: )

no but seriously how much older than her are you?, the last part sounds kinda weird.

ReputationRep:
    Ah just give it time - my mum hated my boyfriend at first, but since she's finally realised that he makes me happy, and that he's not actually a **** after all, she now approves.

That said, it took about... a year >_< Don't worry about it too much - I'm sure your girlfriend's old and clever enough not to listen solely to her dad's recommendation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Just don't worry about it? You're dating her, not her family. If you guys are happy, they'll come to terms with it.

But, drinking beer from a can when offered? I don't know. I think it'd probably have been better to go down the glass of wine route or similar. (Or at least ask for a glass!)
    Lol, not from the can, I did pour it into the glass they offered me
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Maybe he thought you were fit, and would rather not have his daughter bring you round because then he has to hide the fact :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Considering he told your GF that he thinks you're a ****, did he say why?
    Maybe she can find out for you? Or next time you're over there you could find out for yourself?

Feel bad for the dad tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Feel bad for the dad tbh
    So bad you hide behind anonymous?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmzie-Coupe)
    Give it time, maybe he wants to get to know you first. Most in-laws are like this. However my partners in-laws are dicks and I've known them 3 years, so maybe not.
    Your partner's in-laws so... your family?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    Considering he told your GF that he thinks you're a ****, did he say why?
    Maybe she can find out for you? Or next time you're over there you could find out for yourself?
    I'm going back to France in a week so I'm not too sure if I'll get round there again, I asked her she just told me not to worry because it's him who is the **** :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you misunderstood, OP...

Maybe he's angry because he thinks you have a ****?

How disappointed would you be, if you were safe in the knowledge that no sleazy guy was ever gonna touch your little girl... then all of a sudden you suspect her partner has a penis, and wants to sex her?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.