Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    That sucks we don't have boxing day :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Well obvs you don't go to Oxford Street, because that's mega stressful anyway. Local shopping centre isn't that busy, and you can buy stuff before all that's left is size 22 :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    Well obvs you don't go to Oxford Street, because that's mega stressful anyway. Local shopping centre isn't that busy, and you can buy stuff before all that's left is size 22 :awesome:
    The thing is, I've never had any trouble getting stuff to fit me, even if I leave it over a week after boxing day, and I'm about a size 10!

ReputationRep:
    Sale prices and, this year, escaping the VAT rise next year.
    • TSR Support Team

The sales is usually one big con anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I used to enjoy Boxing Day as it was a day for spending at home with the family - watching films or playing games.

Now I hate Boxing Day, for the past 3 years I have worked every Boxing Day. It wasn't even that busy today! Plus with no transport running I had to rely on my mother giving me a lift in for a 4 hour shift :/

It was crazy on the people I served though (I work in Boots). People were spending about over £100 on the Xmas stock which is rubbish anyway! All the good stuff was gone before the end of Xmas eve so all that is left is the stuff nobody wants except a couple of gems.

Overall working in retail has taught me to hate Boxing day as it makes Xmas go by too fast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    After seeing the headlines on the news today, which mainly consisted of pictures of slightly insane looking women grabbing at handbags, I suddenly thought, why on earth do people go shopping on Boxing Day? There's crowds that are even worse than the days leading up to Christmas, which are bad enough. Surely it's just a horrible and stressful experience? Or is it not as bad as the news makes it out to be? Particularly after hearing about the tragic happenings in Birmingham today, I can't help wondering why people bother going shopping on Boxing Day - the sales are still there a week or two later, when it's a lot less busy, you're a lot less full from the overindulgences of Christmas and are probably less likely to make stupid impulse purchases? Maybe it's because I always spend Boxing Day either on a hike or at home with the family but I really struggle to understand this. Yet it seems to be a bit of an obsession with a lot of people. Anyone feel the same, or am I just talking rubbish?
    I hate boxing day sales. I click on a link on the net on an item that I like- gone or my size is not available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    the sale's still on for weeks afterwards though, and I've never noticed a lack of stock in the days after boxing day. Even if there was less stuff, I'd happily forego getting a few items if it means avoiding the crowds!
    In some stores the sale stock vanishes within a week. The really good deals anyway. I work at Boots and their sale stock doesn't really last much further than new year.

That's your personal view on it - I'm just telling you why people rush out on Boxing Day for sales.... like you asked...

ReputationRep:
    I was working, but if I hadn't been I would have gone.

I need a formal dress for a ball next year and now is the perfect time to go hunt a bargain. Since I need something specific the earlier you go the better.

ReputationRep:
    Good time for shopping!

ReputationRep:
    I just read the Bullring Birmingham story and laughed my head off

Anyway I do not go shopping on Boxing Day. I do not leave the house and yes I love clothes, shoes etc but I am mostly a high street or vintage shopper. Vintage shops rarely have sales whilst the high street is affordable enough to afford the full price stuff

I did do some online shopping mostly Miss Selfridge, ASOS on the Christmas Day as there were some items I had been eyeing up

Even on normal days when I do decide to go shopping in Londons West End I go and leave before noon as the people there are more sensible

ReputationRep:
    Because the rest of my family are going on holiday and needed to buy last minute things. Other than that.. Would not bother going, too busy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ritchie888)
    I saw the news as well.

Any one else notice every single one of the shoppers was Asian?
    Omg Meadowhall in Sheffield, it was crazy. Usually meadowhall is masses of white people on a normal day especially leading up to christmas but yesterday there were horde's after horde's of asian people. Especially what looked like malaysians/indonesians. In all my years living in Sheffield i've seen about three of them.

But on the thread topic, the experience I had today was just horrible and i'm never going to do it again. Cheap clothes is just not worth that. I had to cue up for nearly and hour and a half in Zara for one coat. After about half an hour I thought what is the point I should just leave it but I was reasonably far ahead the end of the que and thought i've already been in here 30 minutes it can't be much longer. An hour later i'm sweaty, red faced and pissed off and the cashier is in the same state as me, horrible horrible time (And boots, the ladies were practically fighting over David Beckham gift sets) :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel-Light)
    I used to enjoy Boxing Day as it was a day for spending at home with the family - watching films or playing games.

Now I hate Boxing Day, for the past 3 years I have worked every Boxing Day. It wasn't even that busy today! Plus with no transport running I had to rely on my mother giving me a lift in for a 4 hour shift :/

It was crazy on the people I served though (I work in Boots). People were spending about over £100 on the Xmas stock which is rubbish anyway! All the good stuff was gone before the end of Xmas eve so all that is left is the stuff nobody wants except a couple of gems.

Overall working in retail has taught me to hate Boxing day as it makes Xmas go by too fast
    I had exactly the same...having to travel in to Boots to work. Damn retail. I just stood there in amazement at those crazy shoppers....what were they doing? Buying presents for next year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowermaster91)
    because primark has a 50% sale going on which = free clothes :drool:
    How did they achive that? There cant be much to save in manufacturers wages.

ReputationRep:
    Women. Them and their ****** handbags.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    After seeing the headlines on the news today, which mainly consisted of pictures of slightly insane looking women grabbing at handbags, I suddenly thought, why on earth do people go shopping on Boxing Day? There's crowds that are even worse than the days leading up to Christmas, which are bad enough. Surely it's just a horrible and stressful experience? Or is it not as bad as the news makes it out to be? Particularly after hearing about the tragic happenings in Birmingham today, I can't help wondering why people bother going shopping on Boxing Day - the sales are still there a week or two later, when it's a lot less busy, you're a lot less full from the overindulgences of Christmas and are probably less likely to make stupid impulse purchases? Maybe it's because I always spend Boxing Day either on a hike or at home with the family but I really struggle to understand this. Yet it seems to be a bit of an obsession with a lot of people. Anyone feel the same, or am I just talking rubbish?
    You're not talking rubbish at all and I hope you'll keep your point of view years from now.

It's called consumerism: http://www.globalissues.org/issue/23...nd-consumerism

http://www.globalissues.org/article/...of-consumerism

ReputationRep:
    I wish people didn't.
    Then I could have gotten a long lie yesterday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifeshard)
    Omg Meadowhall in Sheffield, it was crazy. Usually meadowhall is masses of white people on a normal day especially leading up to christmas but yesterday there were horde's after horde's of asian people. Especially what looked like malaysians/indonesians. In all my years living in Sheffield i've seen about three of them.
    Yes, I noticed from the news coverage that there was a bit of a racial disparity in all this.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the time the good stuff don't even go down in price...I'm going shopping this thursays to get some vans. Shame they didn;'t decrease the pricing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.