Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    Don't sweat it.

Year on year more and more stuff will drop into place until finally you understand how it all connects up.
    Then !BAM! you know the very basics of the theory of medicine...
    :daydreaming:
    I hope so!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    and a seahorse...
    I'm not a medical student just applying this year . But I could see the little sea horse on the left side too very funny! X rays look difficult to read. Anyway i' buzz out of the thread as I'm not a med student

ReputationRep:
    Is wegners p-ANCA or c-ANCA (Im so hoping its
    c-ANCA)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    Is wegners p-ANCA or c-ANCA (Im so hoping its
    c-ANCA)
    Yes in very simple terms c-ANCA (i.e ANCA with a cytoplasmic staining pattern) is associated with Wegeners whereas p-ANCA (ANCA with perinuclear staining pattern) is associated with Churg-Strauss disease.

ReputationRep:
    possibly a very idiotic question coming up but how do you differentiate between that and other diagnoses from that x ray alone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabie)
    possibly a very idiotic question coming up but how do you differentiate between that and other diagnoses from that x ray alone?
    You don't. You look at the x-ray, which is pretty pathognomonic for pleural plaques, and identify the most common diagnosis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabie)
    The plaques have a characteristic appearance - could even say "holly leaf" of these ones, and the calcification (very bright signal) of the diaphragm is particularly so. If these weren't there the diffuse shadowing would be harder to interpret and you'd go with the history\examination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    Medical students only

THis is an x-ray froma patient of mine today. Incidental finding pre-operatively that led me to get a chest x-ray.
    Have a look at this X-ray and describe what you see and give a diagnosis.
    Tell me what I might have found on exam and int he history that led me to this.

Big gap so no one can see answers accidentally.
    Hello, I have to present something interesting for radiology (our group has to come up with 3 things) Would you mind if I borrowed your example? Anonymous, no names, just I was shown this...and it shows...

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    More please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    Your posts sometimes make me cringe. Please tell me you take more joy in your work @ work.
    [rather than that crushing tiredness that hits when you get home and work deemed evil personified]

Last thing the specialty needs is another triage monkey...
    Triage monkey? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yes please more X-rays especially! I need practise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wild_Precious_Life)
    Triage monkey? :confused:
    Triage is the process by which a nurse does an initial assessment of a patient and decides how urgently they need to be seen. It was originally developed on the battlefield many years ago, and is supposed to be a rapid, but crude, decision making tool. After this has been done, a patient then goes into the queue to be seen by a doctor and fully assessed.

A&E has a bad reputation among other specialties for just seeing people and turfing them on, without taking a proper history or doing anything useful (thus "triage monkey"). This is true for some cases, and I'm sure I've referred cases where the receiving SHO thinks that's what I've done, but good Emergency Physicians should be doing so much more than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Triage is the process by which a nurse does an initial assessment of a patient and decides how urgently they need to be seen. It was originally developed on the battlefield many years ago, and is supposed to be a rapid, but crude, decision making tool. After this has been done, a patient then goes into the queue to be seen by a doctor and fully assessed.

A&E has a bad reputation among other specialties for just seeing people and turfing them on, without taking a proper history or doing anything useful (thus "triage monkey"). This is true for some cases, and I'm sure I've referred cases where the receiving SHO thinks that's what I've done, but good Emergency Physicians should be doing so much more than that.
    Oh so it is the nurse that does the clerking in A+E? Although I'm guessing this is not really clerking as such, more just a general assessment. A+E is so busy though, I guess they just don't have time to be so thorough.

ReputationRep:
    Oh so it is the nurse that does the clerking in A+E? Although I'm guessing this is not really clerking as such, more just a general assessment. A+E is so busy though, I guess they just don't have time to be so thorough.
    No, nurses (except for nurse practitioners and all that shizz, let's not go there) do triaging, before the patients are seen by a doctor. A&E doctors do clerking. And if you're doing it properly, it IS a clerking, assessment and intiating management. We may not go into as much detail on some particular points as the specialty teams (e.g. all the social, activities of daily living stuff for elderly care patients) but it is still a medical clerking, done by doctors.

Triage = basic history, basic obs and one can then prioritise the cases (immediate, urgent etc).
    It involves little in way of treatment.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.