Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Job Opportunities for a 14 Year Old in Essex Watch

ReputationRep:
    Trying... to...resist...temptation....to.. .say......... hooker

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mean to pay for uni/entire accommodation with £2000. I meant to have some money to get me started and able to spend a little more on food (I'm vegan so it would cost more) and such. I'd prefer to go into uni with /something/ as opposed to no money at all.
    If I could find somewhere to rent for three years with £2000, it would be like winning the lottery.

And I don't really want to move to America. I can't afford it and I doubt they'd let a 14 year old move there alone. Sorry to hear about your emploment situation, best of luck finding a job.

[e] Oh, so that's the Essex stereotype. If you knew me in RL, that would be the last thing you would think. XD

ReputationRep:
    I had a paper-round, you should be able to get one - just have to look out for some, try newspapers; they put it in there mainly. But honestly, if you can't find one then try to find any family members or friends who own a shop or something and ask them if you can help them out sometimes.
    orrrrrr

You could just leave it and focus on getting the best grades possible

ReputationRep:
    It seems like getting a paper round would be the easiest. (: Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who owns a shop since I don't live in a village or close-knit community. Someone at my school has a family shop but I don't know her very well.
    How much does it pay and how long is an average route? I'd be delivering the papers by foot so I hope it's not too long. =P

I don't know. All my life so far has honestly been centred around school and I want to be doing something with myself instead of wasting time looking at those lolcat and MLIA sites. That doesn't get me anywhere and I do it purely out of boredom. A job would earn me money (and I'd like to buy a German to English dictionary for school but I lack the funds since I have to buy a book for English) and it would be productive and get me out of the house and possibly meeting people. It may even cure my procrastination and laziness.

I guess I could channel more time into revising for maths since I would like to get an A or B overall and learning extra German grammar would stop me from making grammar mistakes. Knowing more about electronics components would definitely help me in lesson.
    I guess a German dictionary can wait until I get money from the site I talked about in the first post or (if) I get birthday money in March, unless I happen to find a paper round earlier.

I know this sounds stupid since I'm only 14, but I would like to feel financially secure with the knowledge that there's £50 or so waiting for me when I'm an adult (not much, but I guess it's the feeling of having money for the future that would comfort me). I also want to be able to buy birthday and Christmas presents for people, but it's the thought that counts, I guess? It would be nice to give people something they had wanted/would enjoy, though.
    Sorry for the mini-rant.

Thanks for everyone's help so far, I appreciate it a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grace2011)
    It seems like getting a paper round would be the easiest. (: Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who owns a shop since I don't live in a village or close-knit community. Someone at my school has a family shop but I don't know her very well.
    How much does it pay and how long is an average route? I'd be delivering the papers by foot so I hope it's not too long. =P

I don't know. All my life so far has honestly been centred around school and I want to be doing something with myself instead of wasting time looking at those lolcat and MLIA sites. That doesn't get me anywhere and I do it purely out of boredom. A job would earn me money (and I'd like to buy a German to English dictionary for school but I lack the funds since I have to buy a book for English) and it would be productive and get me out of the house and possibly meeting people. It may even cure my procrastination and laziness.

I guess I could channel more time into revising for maths since I would like to get an A or B overall and learning extra German grammar would stop me from making grammar mistakes. Knowing more about electronics components would definitely help me in lesson.
    I guess a German dictionary can wait until I get money from the site I talked about in the first post or (if) I get birthday money in March, unless I happen to find a paper round earlier.

I know this sounds stupid since I'm only 14, but I would like to feel financially secure with the knowledge that there's £50 or so waiting for me when I'm an adult (not much, but I guess it's the feeling of having money for the future that would comfort me). I also want to be able to buy birthday and Christmas presents for people, but it's the thought that counts, I guess? It would be nice to give people something they had wanted/would enjoy, though.
    Sorry for the mini-rant.

Thanks for everyone's help so far, I appreciate it a lot.
    I got £12.50 a week for my paper round and I only had to deliver to about 15 houses at most. It was Monday-Saturday I think. I delivered by foot too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fandabidoze!)
    I got £12.50 a week for my paper round and I only had to deliver to about 15 houses at most. It was Monday-Saturday I think. I delivered by foot too.
    That's pretty much the same for me too. Except, I had to do Sundays as well, and I mainly cycled, except for when my bike was broken, and when it snowed.

ReputationRep:
    well, you're probably a bit old for an entry-level prostitution job in Essex... :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Paper round? I did a paper round in Essex when I was 13/14/15. :yep:

Or just get experience wherever, but don't think you can do paid work for that (not money anyway, maybe free gifts/vouchers etc.)

ReputationRep:
    I doubt that at your age that you are going to get a job other than a paper round. There are many laws which prevent you from working above a certain amount of hours and certain times. You don't need to start saving up for uni just yet. There are people older than you which can work more hours that people will employ I hate to say it. A lot of places will not employ people under 16. There are a lack of jobs as it is. And to be honest posting you CV on websites will not help. People going on them will not be looking for a 14 year old to work part time. Concentrate on your studies and get a paper round.

ReputationRep:
    Freelance Urban Pharmaceutical Distributor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grace2011)
    but I don't want to stay in a dorm (apparently it's halls in British English, but I prefer the term dorm)
    I don't care much what you prefer, they're called halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    well, you're probably a bit old for an entry-level prostitution job in Essex... :teehee:
    you beat me to it HEHEHE
    • PS Helper

Other than the suggestions above (local pubs/paper rounds) I can only suggest what I did myself: learn programming languages and learn how to create websites.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/ has a great variety of people willing to pay anyone for jobs such as posting articles, writing programs or designing programs. All you need is a paypal account really.

ReputationRep:
    The only way is Essex star?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    Go into the newsagents and ask for a round if possible. You're not gonna have to do a formal interview...
    I had a gruelling interview for my paper round, actually

Paperboy : Do you want a paper round?
    Me : Aye, sure gan on then.

It was difficult. I almost couldn't take the strain.

Paperrounds are great from May-September

From October-April they're horrendous, frozen journeys through the snow, ice and wind.

ReputationRep:
    I had a job when I was 14 in a local hotel; worked completely illegally as I don't think you're allowed to work past 7pm at that age, handle knives etc.

I tended to start work at 7 and finish at around 12 doing events like weddings, sportsmans dinners etc- it was casual work, so I rang each week and asked if there were any functions on and if there was they told me my hours. £4.20 an hour, lots of people my age, I loved it! Over the Christmas period when these places are full for work parties etc, you get lots of money. So I suggest going in and asking at local hotels, or bars with function rooms.

Are there any neighbours you could babysit for? Dog walking? Cleaning an old lady's house? Washing cars? Gardening?
    Put up an ad in a newsagents.

I think if you really want to earn a bit of money, you can't be so up tight about the legality of things...
    Where are you from?

ReputationRep:
    Im 14 years old and have had a paper round for around 6 months now ) i earn £20 a week (if i do an extra round on sat and sun) the pay and hours are pretty flexible where I work and it really adds up! brought myself a laptop and 2 pairs of boots with the money so far (and still have £50 for the winter sales!!) All I did was ask a newsagents and I got the job (I got rejected from another but I found one even closer to my place and asked there) Best decision ever! Good Luck finding a job
    btw if I did my job everyday of the week at that wage for 50 weeks (3 weeks christmas holidays) Id get £1000 so you'll definitely get £2000 in 4 years )

ReputationRep:
    Oh and by the way gotta warn you of weather especially in the wintertime
    It can be extremely cold, snowing, raining or stormy out there but you'd still have to deliver the papers
    Good thing about wintertime is that you soon get christmas tips! (I got £10 this christmas)
    Might've had more but i left for holiday

ReputationRep:
    The only thing you are gonna get at 14 is a paper round and the payment is pretty low but its experience and some pocket money. If you wanna do it though you can ask at your local newsagent although be aware that not too many newsagents aren't doing news rounds because of the decline in interest (the resection). Do you get the yellow advertiser? If so there should be an ad in it talking about paper rounds call them up and see if they have any vacancies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.