Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I invest £50 in stocks or shares? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmzie-Coupe)
    Prove me wrong kiddo.
    My uncle went from £700 to burn, to making a living from stocks. He now lives in the middle of nowhere in the canary islands (La Gomera).

On the whole, your correct. But its not impossible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reems)
    You said that you can't make money from 500 quid. I think you'll find 2500 profit is making money
    Like I said, I can say I shagged your mother last night. There's no way for me to prove that, just like there is no way for you to prove your claim that someone you met made that much from the stock market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    My uncle went from £700 to burn, to making a living from stocks. He now lives in the middle of nowhere in the canary islands (La Gomera).

On the whole, your correct. But its not impossible!
    I'm sure he didn't get to the canary islands by investing £700 on the stock market, like you said, he lost all his money at first. It's a fools game if you don't know what you're doing.

ReputationRep:
    Do a bit more research and get a bit more of tha moneyz.

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, I can say I shagged your mother last night. There's no way for me to prove that, just like there is no way for you to prove your claim that someone you met made that much from the stock market.
    LOL.

Please check the 2 year chart for stocks such as GKP, RKH or MTA.

ReputationRep:
    My school competes in shares4schools.co.uk (trading comp).

We have £1500, we need 3% gain to make a profit. £50 will get you nowhere. Think, £15 to buy and sell, thats 30% profit needed just to cover costs!!!

ReputationRep:
    Words fail me.

ReputationRep:
    im on the fund team at my university and with a pretty small starting sum we've managed to make a 25% return since the start of term

ReputationRep:
    iii.co.uk has a commision of around £ 1.50 via you making the investment on a certain date so they can buy in bulk.

So potential you could buy a few stocks with that and just leave it. Maybe in a ftse tracker.

Not sure if its sensible but it is possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cobrabite11)
    Newbie, just heard of the idea.

Someone like to explain to me how to do it? Just £50 at the moment, could be £500 if I start to understand and make money.

Thank you.
    You can't do anything with £50. But you said you had £600 just sitting there.. you could probably put that in.. but not make too much.
    Maybe your parents have some shares that you could buy? This is what my dad did for me and my siblings - we just give him the money and so own a percentage of his shares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simstar)
    what a pedantic little f*cker! You can make money with £500, if you invest it in the right places.
    Pedantic? That has nothing to do with this. No need for name calling, child? How? By waiting 15 years yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summergirl.x)
    You can't do anything with £50. But you said you had £600 just sitting there.. you could probably put that in.. but not make too much.
    Maybe your parents have some shares that you could buy? This is what my dad did for me and my siblings - we just give him the money and so own a percentage of his shares.
    At least you have the right idea. Thank god for some logic.

ReputationRep:
    Pedantic? That has nothing to do with this. No need for name calling, child? How? By waiting 15 years yeah.
    You can. I know somebody that doubled £500 in about 2 months.

ReputationRep:
    Your best sticking the money in a game of roulette or blackjack tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Why doesn't someone just tell him how to get started instead of starting the usual 'you'll never get anywhere' story. I have a friend who went from 2k to 679k in 5 years. Suck on that.

www.zecco.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cobrabite11)
    Newbie, just heard of the idea.

Someone like to explain to me how to do it? Just £50 at the moment, could be £500 if I start to understand and make money.

Thank you.
    You need to start with at least a £500 investment in stocks. You wont be able to buy many shares with £50 especially in big businesses. You would need to research penny stocks and low priced shares with potential. This was your shares can grow bigger with less investment although penny shares are high risk as they are usually firms that have just entered the market.

You can open an account online with UK certain banks to manage and buy and sell shares in the stock market but each transaction cost around £10 so its only worth selling if you make a good profit. And £10 is alot of money if your only investing £50.

Im no expert but i did do a little research myself into stocks and shares as i want to invest in them when i turn 18. Take time to check out what to invest in because although nothing is certain, you can increase you chances of making money with a little research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consilio Et Animis)
    You can. I know somebody that doubled £500 in about 2 months.
    Cool. How did they do it?

ReputationRep:
    Bare in mind, if it was easy then everyone would do it.

ReputationRep:
    Cool. How did they do it?
    thats quite easy in AIM stocks if you know what your doing.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you can make greater than the interest rate (not too much then) then you're heading in the right direction. Making 10% a year would be achievable, would it not?

I didn't really go name calling, it was just a term to describe you, I wont permanently think of you as that, just regarding that comment.

I'm not a child and work for a great financial services firm! Thanks loool

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.