Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are there any truly 'bad' universities in the UK? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    Source?
    not sure if this year, but anyway i don't know how accurate this is either, but it's the times :P
    http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/pdfs...ngsalaries.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Depends on whether or not you can really come up with a relatively objective definition of what a bad university is.. Because otherwise everyone's suggestions and ideas whether justified or not, are still based on their subjective standards of what constitutes as a bad university.

ReputationRep:
    Except things like arty subjects and those that ask for portfolios (making grades irrelevant to some extent) I'd say universities that ask for stupidly low grades - i.e I saw you can do "Comedy Studies BSc" at Solent for 160 or something similar.

ReputationRep:
    London Met.

(Original post by TheSownRose)
      In the question: are there?

EDIT: If you're going to arbitrarily name a university, you have to justify why it's a truly bad uni. Them's the rules.
      Any university that has a significant amount of courses below CCC grade level (and that's pushing it). University should be for academic excellence or vocational courses that command high academic requirements.

ReputationRep:
      Source?
      http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/pdfs...ngsalaries.pdf

Except things like arty subjects and those that ask for portfolios (making grades irrelevant to some extent) I'd say universities that ask for stupidly low grades - i.e I saw you can do "Comedy Studies BSc" at Solent for 160 or something similar.
        Seriously, a BSc? At least a BA tbh. :rolleyes:

Oh wait it's a BA: http://www.solent.ac.uk/courses/unde...e_details.aspx

(Original post by tillytots)
          I don't think so, every university has its talents, many so called bad ex polytechnics produce great architects, designers and engineers. Yeah they don't do medicine, but many do things of great importance too; like radiology,optometry,speech and language therapy...

Some of so called 'bad unis' have the best grad salaries too.

it's just TSR snobbery thinking there's 'bad universities' if they were truly awful, they'd have been closed years ago.
          They used to or at least they were much better before their upgrade to university status. Polytechnics in other countries are doing an excellent job (like ours used to) because they don't pretend to be something they are not, they offer excellent vocational training unlike ours that suffer from lack of identity and purpose nowadays.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Cuckoo91)
          Depends on whether or not you can really come up with a relatively objective definition of what a bad university is.. Because otherwise everyone's suggestions and ideas whether justified or not, are still based on their subjective standards of what constitutes as a bad university.
          That's fine, just as long as people have a reason and aren't just pulling them out of thin air.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by im so academic)
          Any university that has a significant amount of courses below CCC grade level (and that's pushing it). University should be for academic excellence or vocational courses that command high academic requirements.
          But entry requirements reflect popularity ... so, is it a bad university purely because it's unpopular?

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by cybergrad)
          Only because most of its graduates stay in London and therefore receive the London Allowance.

still a poor excuse, LSBU is something like 22k-25k for a starting salary, which is not what you're going to earn working as a sales assistant in Topshop or Mcdonalds and other places people believe you can only work with a degree from an ex poly, no matter where you live.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by ch0llima)
          London Met?

Haven't heard of anything good coming from there at all.
          My aunty did a Masters there and did a PhD at UCL. She must have been attracted to Met for some reason...

ReputationRep:
          It's something I find curious, rather than have issues with.
          haha you blatantly do, and it's tiresome and dull to read.

you're probably a bit sore about your own uni too. i'll guess it wasn't your first choice. here's a piece of advice: stop getting hung up on uni reputation and accept where you are. asking these banal questions on tsr will get you absolutely nowhere.

But entry requirements reflect popularity ... so, is it a bad university purely because it's unpopular?
            As well as academic requirements. Medicine is far more popular than Classics at Cambridge, yet they have the same standard offer.

I would argue, if a university is unpopular, why on earth does it exist? Why does that course exist?

If anything it. shows that the course is **** (otherwise why on earth would it be unpopular?). If a university has a significant amount of low-entry requirement courses, then yes, I constitute it as a bad university as it is a waste of money.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
            thames valley and any other universities that have entry requirements on some courses of EE.

if a student has basically failed their A'levels, there is no way they should be allowed to waste taxpayers money having even more education at a higher level. so any university that lets them do that is obviously run terribly
            Doesn't either Cambridge or Oxford give out EE offers? What about their students who achieve that? They shouldn't be allowed to study right?

Even though, both of us probably know that those students are capable of achieving more, if they get EE at A level, according to you - they have failed.

Here's where I'm going with this - just because someone got EE at A level doesn't mean they are doomed for life! They may have extenuating circumstances or various other things going on in their lives at the time. Also, entry requirements are an indication of popularity in the subject NOT only academic ability!

(Apologies if this is badly written lol I'm tired and felt like ranting )

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by yahyahyah)

you're probably a bit sore about your own uni too. i'll guess it wasn't your first choice. here's a piece of advice: stop getting hung up on uni reputation and accept where you are. asking these banal questions on tsr will get you absolutely nowhere.
            No, it was.

ReputationRep:

Perhaps it's unpopular because it's bad :confused:

I think the 'bad' universities are either ones with a bad reputation or with no reputation at all.

Like Derby, it must be the most anonymous university in the country. You never hear of anything about it, good or bad.

(Original post by yahyahyah)

You do have a point, most of the ex-poly threads are started by the "one who goes to Cambridge for optometry".

ReputationRep:
              No, it was.
              whatever, i'm not fussed on the details. i'll still go with the fact that you're a bit sore about it's reputation. you can deny this, but the amount of ****e threads you make disagrees with you.

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by SuperStarr1)
              Doesn't either Cambridge or Oxford give out EE offers? What about their students who achieve that? They shouldn't be allowed to study right?

Even though, both of us probably know that those students are capable of achieving more, if they get EE at A level, according to you - they have failed.

Here's where I'm going with this - just because someone got EE at A level doesn't mean they are doomed for life! They may have extenuating circumstances or various other things going on in their lives at the time. Also, entry requirements are an indication of interest in the subject NOT only academic ability!

(Apologies if this is badly written lol I'm tired and felt like ranting )
              Oxford and Cambridge offers of EE are only given out to exceptional students in order to negate the pressures of exam stress.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
            Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
            Useful resources
            Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
            Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.