Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are students allowed to vote? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Meh, this is stupid. I voted lib dem yes, but only after taking a look at all the various parties' policies and choosing one that best matched my opinions. Why should my vote be taken away?

Equally, I know countless people who are not students who don't know the first thing about politics like in your example. My parents for instance always vote SNP for no discernible reason other than "Oh, they're Scottish. They'll be good for Scotland and do Scotlandy type things that will be good".

The only way your argument could make sense is if you wanted to set an exam that people had to pass before they were allowed to vote, and let's face it, even that is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    maybe 2 17 year olds, and from was an exchange student

So I therefore know as many students with in depth political knowledge as I know adults of the same calabre.

I do understand where you are coming from, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    Are you 18? If so, chalk that up as a -1 to the '18 year olds that can hold a coherent and sensible conversation about politics' figure.
    This. Precisely this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    Well almost everything you said in your post wasn't true, or at least, it may be true in some cases but not in many others.
    For one thing, the vast majority of students on the marches were peaceful. Each time, it was a minority of extremists, many of whom were not even students, who caused the violence, which was partly down to the police brutality.
    For another, not all students vote Lib Dem. I didn't, many of my friends didn't, many people on TSR didn't. A lot did, but not all. There were also other policies which people liked apart from the tuition fees (almost all of which have now been dropped since Clegg sold out) such as Trident.
    There are many other groups who are more selfish - bankers or owners of large businesses who vote Conservative because they want to escape higher taxes are just as (if not more so) selfish than students voting Lib Dem on account of tuition fees.
    Many 18 year olds can hold a decent conversation about politics - I've been slated before on TSR for using the 'some of my friends' argument, but I think it's valid here. I know several 18 year olds who are passionate about politics and who can hold a more knowledgeable and informed conversation than the average adult.

In addition, the age at which one becomes an adult in the UK is 18. Voting is a right available to adults. Why should we exclude people who should be treated equally under the law on the basis that they are a student? Or under 21? This would be a shocking regression rather than progress.
    Oh for **** sake, another retard who thinks only the rich vote conservative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EsStupido)
    There's absolutely no doubt the age at which people are allowed to vote needs to be raised.
    There is doubt, especially considering that if anything the age is likely to be lowered. Don't state your opinion as fact.

I would argue you looking at this from the wrong point of view, everyone (who is an adult) has the right to vote unless there is a compelling reason for them not to. The government needs a mandate of the people, to talk of being allowed to vote is wrong. Voting is a democratic right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    Oh for **** sake, another retard who thinks only the rich vote conservative.

You're right, plenty of not-really-rich-at-all people vote Tory in the hope of lower taxes too.

ReputationRep:
    who cares who we vote for. All political parties are pretty much corrupt and for the interests of the wealthy

and what is your point that people vote for who is in their best interests? duurrr isnt that the point. If Ive got four grandparents in nursing homes who I see everyday and there a political party thats good rfor retired people then Im going to be more interested in that political party than if I didnt have any one I knew who was retired.

Unemployed people are often unemployed because of how society is, London is/was absolutely disgusting for employment why should I vote for whoever I want.

Oh and student fees thats utter crap. Most people wernt violent and actually I applaud anyone who was its about time people stood up to this oppressive regime of a government weve got. People should stop being pussies. I faced 5 months of unemployment and not getting 3 months benefit. I am ****ing angry about that. My student fees were tripled now I cant go on a gap year. Im angry at that. a lot of people have rich parents and never had to deal with having no money then preach about **** like non violence go and jump in a lake.

ReputationRep:
    COuldn't it be said that we all vote selfishly.....it's the whole point of voting. You vote for a government which will self the interests of the majority. hence your arguement is void.

ReputationRep:
    The vast majority (nb. not all, myself included) vote for the party they feel will do the best FOR THEM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBigCh)
    The vast majority (nb. not all, myself included) vote for the party they feel will do the best FOR THEM.
    Surely if you're voting for the party that you believe has the closest political goals to you, even if not in direct self benefit, you are benefitting from an improved conscience and general feeling of well being from doing a good thing?

That fuzzy feeling you get when you do good to others counts as self-gain in my eyes

ReputationRep:
    Not all are clueless about politics.

ReputationRep:
    If a person is taxable, he deserves to have the vote.

ReputationRep:
    But if, for example, you're a 30 year old hard-working individual who owns or rents a property then it's become your right to vote as you wish, surely?

Whereas when you're a student doing a subsidised degree that requires 10 hours a week of your life, why do you have the right to be selfish?
    as someone who is nearly 30, works hard and rents a property i can give an answer to this.

Because students are a part of this country and the policies introduced by a government will affect them in some way as it affects the rest of the country. And even if they werent the chances are that many students will leave education and enter the world of employment during a term of government i.e four years.

And very few people cast thier vote for "what party will be best for the whole country" they vote for the party to answer "what party will be best for me"

ReputationRep:
    There is not one other social group in this country that is anywhere near as self-centrered and selfish as students.

When I was at college and Uni the sole reason for people voting for the Lib Dems was because of their tuition fees promise yet they couldn't tell you a single thing about any of their other policies.

There's absolutely no doubt the age at which people are allowed to vote needs to be raised. The amount of stupidity exuded from students in the recent marches proves they are not mature enough to make the sort of decisions that affect the rest of us.

Rather than calling me a troll, ask yourselves how many 18 year olds you've met that can hold a coherent and sensible conversation about politics. I doubt it's many.
    Okay, I normally don't quote the first post but you're clearly such an idiot that I'm gonna, in the hope you'll listen to me and have a nice little epiphany.

1) Not all young people are students.
    2) At age 16, you can work full-time, be expected to make National Insurance contributions, claim social security benefits, you can get married (which has tax implications.) At age 15 years and 7 months you can join the Armed Forces. The voting age should in fact be lowered, because once you are able to do these things you should be able to have a say in how they are governed.
    3) If to vote you had to be able to hold a coherent and sensible conversation about politics then I think you'd find a huge proportion of adults disenfranchised. Getting older doesn't necessarily mean you learn more about politics.
    4) Ditto if to vote you have to base your decision on more than a single policy.

ReputationRep:
    There is not one other social group in this country that is anywhere near as self-centrered and selfish as students.

When I was at college and Uni the sole reason for people voting for the Lib Dems was because of their tuition fees promise yet they couldn't tell you a single thing about any of their other policies.

There's absolutely no doubt the age at which people are allowed to vote needs to be raised. The amount of stupidity exuded from students in the recent marches proves they are not mature enough to make the sort of decisions that affect the rest of us.

Rather than calling me a troll, ask yourselves how many 18 year olds you've met that can hold a coherent and sensible conversation about politics. I doubt it's many.
    Not sure what kind of retards you like to associate yourself with, but a fair few of my friends can and do have coherent and sensible conversations about politics on a regular basis.

ReputationRep:

aha so with this type of thinking would you say that old people shouldn't be allowed to vote because they're nearly dead?

ReputationRep:
    Before you go on about students in the student room remember that everyone votes in their self-interest or in morality (not that any party is moral due to the lack of honesty)

Wh I was at college and Uni the sole reason for people voting for the Lib Dems was because of their tuition fees promise yet they couldn't tell you a single thing about any of their other policies.
    People naturally vote for their priorities. Since the majority of students face large tution fees imposed by those who had university tution fees free, I believe it to reasonable that students can vote to reduce the fees.

We have a falsely set up system. It is no longer democratic. They Parliament are effectively Dictators, they can promise what they like and not deliver. Hence when democracy fails, violence should be the option, let us follow the example of a great leader, Mandela.
    Anyway, you say "no doubt" what on earth do you believe you are. There is a tremendous volume of people who are rightfully against your illegal and insensitive comment.

A lot. However the recent parliamentary votes are making a new generation disbelieve in politics that change is another word of removing freedom, liberty and justice.

ReputationRep:

Most students I know are more engaged with politics than my parents and their friends. A lot of adults know absolutely nothing about politics, and vote based on which leader they think gives better speeches or whichever party is historically the one they and their family have voted for.

Go and read the comments on most articles in the dailymail, the sun etc. and then come back and say that students are the most selfish group in the country. The amount of stupidity which you read and hear coming from people who should know better is ridiculous. Most adults complaining about the student protests didn't know a thing about the fee change apart from that it was going up, all they said was that students are lazy and that someone needs to pay for the recession. Of course, it should be students, people who for the most part weren't even old enough to vote in the last election, and definitely not anyone else. Because that isn't selfish at all :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How has no one called troll yet? But yeah, most people just vote in their own bitter self-interest; it's all very disillusioning.

ReputationRep:
    Rather than calling you a troll, I'll ask you how many 25 year olds you've met that can hold a coherent and sensible conversation about politics. I doubt it's many.

Most people know nothing about politics, and probably never will.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.