Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My real chances of getting into top unis... (Be rude If you have to...) Watch

ReputationRep:
    This sounds pretty good,. Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blacklight)
    1) In the first term it has been quite busy. We have had 2 full days a week, and around 2 hours every other day of lectures, tutorials and labs. I'm guessing an average of 20 hours direct contact each week. I know someone who is working a part-time job, but it definitely is not for the faint of heart, or if you want to get top grades. When you include coursework and reading, I suppose it is easy to average over 40 hours work a week.

2) So far not terribly extensive on the labs. About 5 hours a week doing bacteriology, which finished in November. I don't think I will be doing any more until late spring. The difficulty level of the practical work itself wasn't so bad, especially if you have done microbiology.

3) So far I am enjoying the course. I was definitely surprised by the number of contact hours, and also the fact that they included quite a few very small group tutorials. In the first term there is a lot of epidemiology involved, so be ready for that. The intake isn't too big, about 20, so the lectures are mainly small-scale affairs, and with the high number of lectures, there is a lot to take in. We also had a visit to the HPA, which was quite enjoyable. It's also worth mentioning that the vast majority of the course takes part in the Bloomsbury area, so travel isn't too bad, except for the occasional bits done at the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead.

The first term consisted of all non-optional modules, but from now on we split into 100% optional modules, with a few shared by intercalated medical students (though we have extra tutorials, different assessment etc). So from this point onwards I guess it varies.
    This was really useful so thanks! I've applied to Imperial, UCL and Kings for Immunology and Infection and Immunity. Did you apply to UCL only or were there other London unis you applied to as well? If the latter, was there a reason you chose UCL over the others?

ReputationRep:
    Someone's already mentioned this - but I'd strictly limit the applications you make to the ones you really really really want, which should hopefully be the labs / projects / career orientations that you want. I whittled down my applications (for PhD) to just a few - and only some of those were successful. It's not the case that a good enough CV will always mean you'll get into every course - it's also about how well your interests / background align with the place you're going for.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.