Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslim and Jewish groups object to labelling of ritually slaughtered meat Watch

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, if this law wasn't for Jews, then they would be mass hysteria that Muslims do this. Persecuting Jews is wholly wrong (I agree) but persecuting Muslims is A-OK. So I'd like to stress a big thankyou to Judaism.

ReputationRep:
    There's never been a massive demand to know whether the fried chicken people eat in a fast food has been labelled to indicate whether it has been humanely treated or the budget turkeys/whole chickens everyone's been buying for Christmas. Chances are these animals have been treated very badly from the point of birth up until slaughter yet no-one seems to care in the slightest whether they label this or not as long as they're getting cheap, yummy chicken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamesh)
    As far as I know, if this law wasn't for Jews, then they would be mass hysteria that Muslims do this. Persecuting Jews is wholly wrong (I agree) but persecuting Muslims is A-OK. So I'd like to stress a big thankyou to Judaism.
    How is this persecution in any way? You are not being persecuted, nor are Jews. Labels are being put on food products because not everyone wants to eat halal or kosher meat.

There is, rightly so, a big drive by consumer activist groups to get food production and retail companies to clearly provide as much information as possible about their products. Some (many?) people have concerns over the ethics of farming and would prefer to source their meat from producers whose methods meet their standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    How is this persecution in any way? You are not being persecuted, nor are Jews. Labels are being put on food products because not everyone wants to eat halal or kosher meat.

There is, rightly so, a big drive by consumer activist groups to get food production and retail companies to clearly provide as much information as possible about their products. Some (many?) people have concerns over the ethics of farming and would prefer to source their meat from producers whose methods meet their standards.
    I agree with the labelling of halaal/kosher meat (a lot of it is already because Jews/Muslims can't eat it unless they know it is halal/kosher) but it is hypocritical not to label chickens which have been battery farmed or treated inhumanely (pumped full of hormones, had their beaks chopped off etc.) and demand that the slaughter method is labelled especially as some animals are killed in a far less humane manner, PETA videos show chickens being stamped to death for example. As long as this law applies to all livestock sold and for things like eggs, milk etc. meaning they have to be labelled to show what sort of environment they were kept in, whether they were given hormones, their treatment and method of slaughter then I have no problem with it. Just demanding to know whether it is halaal/kosher and overlooking everything else hints at xenophobia which is the point I think the guy is making.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    I agree with the labelling of halaal/kosher meat (a lot of it is already because Jews/Muslims can't eat it unless they know it is halal/kosher) but it is hypocritical not to label chickens which have been battery farmed or treated inhumanely (pumped full of hormones, had their beaks chopped off etc.) and demand that the slaughter method is labelled especially as some animals are killed in a far less humane manner, PETA videos show chickens being stamped to death for example. As long as this law applies to all livestock sold and for things like eggs, milk etc. meaning they have to be labelled to show what sort of environment they were kept in, whether they were given hormones, their treatment and method of slaughter then I have no problem with it. Just demanding to know whether it is halaal/kosher and overlooking everything else hints at xenophobia which is the point I think the guy is making.
    And the point I was trying to make was that this is a facet of a larger drive towards clear, honest, accurate and transparent labelling of food products. I agree with recording other information, e.g. some kind of ratings system from A-G for the standards in which the livestock are kept, with clear descriptions of what those ratings entail. We do it for cars, homes, appliances and electronics with regards energy efficiency and carbon emissions, why not for food?

ReputationRep:
    is it just me who would eat an animal even if it's been killed in the most cruel of ways? I'm talking 'bout goin medieval on they asses!

ReputationRep:
    I dont know how people can be so arrogant as to assume that everyone is happy to consume halal and kosher meat.

Muslims and Jews may think its great, but a hell of a lot of other people don't, and those people deserve to know. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    A lot of halal meat is already labelled/stamped
    So did I! Plus there is nothing to complain, it makes the job of finding halal/kosher for muslims and jews easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    I, you, we as a people have a right to know all relevant information about the food that we eat.

When given the choice I would not buy meat from an animal slaughtered according to the tenets of a religion, as I'm an atheist.
    Surely as an atheist it doesn't matter if your meat is slaughtered in a religious way or not. Maybe eating halal meat will stop you from getting into atheist-heaven? :confused:

I don't have any problem with people labelling the meat with the way it was killed, but I think that it's a huge waste of time an resources to make legislation about it. EU all over really.

ReputationRep:
    People have a right to know what they are eating. I dont want to buy and eat something that Muslims have cast magic spells over.

ReputationRep:
    The swift cutting of vessels of the neck disconnects the flow of blood to the nerve of the brain responsible for pain. Thus the animal does not feel pain. While dying, the animal appears to struggle, writhe, shake and kick, not due to pain, but due to the contraction and relaxation of the muscles deficient in blood and due to the flow of blood out of the body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovingOn)
    To be honest, I would like to know that the meat I buy hasn't been killed in an inhumane way.
    With all due respect, would you mind telling me what you know about Halah/Kosher slaughter? This is not to say that I am against the labelling of food, in fact it's actually handier for a Muslim or Jew like myself to know I'm eating food that is allowed in my religion. My point is that people very hastily assume that just because something is 'religious' and 'Islamic', that it's also 'inhumane'.

ReputationRep:
    1. Meat is already generally labelled halal or kosher when it is ritually slaughtered.

2. restaurants and supermarkets 'secretly' serving meats like that is pointless because muslims and jews won't eat it if they don't know it's halal/kosher so it appeals to no-one.

I have no problems with the labelling provided they do this for all methods of slaughter i.e gassing, electrocution, stunning etc. But why stop there - it can be expanded to a whole host of things such as factory farming, living conditions of animals etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rupertj)
    With all due respect, would you mind telling me what you know about Halah/Kosher slaughter? This is not to say that I am against the labelling of food, in fact it's actually handier for a Muslim or Jew like myself to know I'm eating food that is allowed in my religion. My point is that people very hastily assume that just because something is 'religious' and 'Islamic', that it's also 'inhumane'.
    Meat ritually slaughtered has recently been proven to cause an animal undue suffering and pain, as opposed to the stunning method. I'm an advocate for animal welfare, so any meat I buy I like to know has both lived in the best conditions possible and been slaughtered in the most humane way possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovingOn)
    Meat ritually slaughtered has recently been proven to cause an animal undue suffering and pain, as opposed to the stunning method. I'm an advocate for animal welfare, so any meat I buy I like to know has both lived in the best conditions possible and been slaughtered in the most humane way possible.
    Sauce?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)
    Sauce?
    http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/54850,...ious-slaughter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horatio-)
    Am I the only one who doesn't think this is a big deal? God people love to whine. Sure the chicken can have a **** unnatural existence BUT IT'S GOTTA BE STUNNED BEFORE DEATH!!!!
    Exactly! I don't see what the fuss is about, how is labelling meat going to cause discrimination against muslims and jews o.O

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was already labelled, otherwise how would they know ....

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this a democracy? Those groups are minorities, so they can stfu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noor321)
    It has been proven that stunned meat is actually harmful health wise over the long run. People should do their research! Having our meat killed in the "Halal" way is the best HEALTH wise since the blood in the animal can be released rather than bieng held inside the body.
    1. There's blood in the meat you eat regardless.

2. When it's properly cooked blood is just as safe to eat as the other parts of the animal.

These rules were generally made at a time when we didn't have as much knowledge as we do now on food and illness. Nowadays, we (should) know better.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.