Agree
    35.00%
    Disagree
    65.00%

ReputationRep:
    Hong Kong is cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    What does better mean? How can one language be better than another? Is English better than German, since we're in the same sub-division of a larger language family? (I think English sounds better, since German is harsh, gutteral and ugly to listen to, but I'm digressing lol).
    I completely agree with you. One language can't be 'better' than another; they're both very nice

(About your digression, I actually think German is rather beautiful, even though this opinion does not seem to be very common. English is very beautiful too, though. And I'm neither English not German, so I'm not biased )

ReputationRep:
    I prefer Cantonese but I can speak both, I don't think Cantonese is "better" than Mandarin it's hard to compare, how can you say a language is better than another.

ReputationRep:
    well, within China, Cantonese is considered as the largest of some 1500 different dialects, used by some 150 million or more population.

ReputationRep:
    I've been studying Mandarin for 6 years now, and I've found it a lot easier than the Cantonese I did before. c:

ReputationRep:
    How many speak Cantonese here?

ReputationRep:
    I speak a bit of Cantonese since my parents from Hong Kong
    Am I the only one that smiles and laughs in the inside because I find the mandarin accent funny?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think cantonese sounds terrible. Having 9 different tones makes the language messy and irritating. Cantonese sounds similar to vietnamese which is the epitome of horrible stereotype representation of asian languages. High pitch and south east asian influence does not receive my thumbs up. Mandarin spoken by a northerner however sounds much calmer, prettier, and smoother with a hint of korean and japanese feel making it much easier for the human ear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayK)
    Just because they share certain grammatical structures and vocabulary, that doesn't mean they're compatible 'languages.'

Many people argue that Mandarin is a language, when it's technically the dialect, though because it's spoken in majority of south and north China, its considered as the 'standard' chinese.

Cantonese is not only spoken in china either. Why do i feel like i'm selling something? lol
    Am I right in saying the people in southern China dislike the enroachment of Mandarin?

ReputationRep:
    Cantonese's my first language but I must say Mandarin is sooooooooooooo much more useful nowadays. It's also easier to learn written Chinese with Mandarin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Invidious-)
    Am I right in saying the people in southern China dislike the enroachment of Mandarin?
    Well, my family do anyway. They feel cantonese is much more cultural and full of life and view mandarin as a language which is 'taking over'.

Obviously, they fail to see the benefits of Mandarin.

ReputationRep:
    I was under the impression many Canton speakers also speak Mandarin as a second language, whereas very few Mandarin speakers learn Canton? That, plus Mandarin being more widely spoken and easier to understand is why I prefer Mandarin.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.