Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it bad i listen to music when revising? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I listened to music whilst revising for my GCSE exams a few years ago and when it came to the exam I sang the songs I revised to. helped me to recall information I was learning at the time of listening

ReputationRep:
    I revise/study better when I have music on. Can't do it in silence! I actually concentrate more with music on, it's like background noise for me and it's a good motivator!
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpneeded-a)
    how ?
    Social groups > user groups > join the party you want to join > when you've been accepted you will have acess via the House Of Commons Forum =]

ReputationRep:
    I can't do it. I always end up singing along and air guitaring. Possibly because Foals are such a good band :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
    I listen to music when revising.

I get no work done.

Maybe there's a correlation :moon:
    Just maybe.

ReputationRep:
    I listen to music, it keeps me going...If there's no music I'd be totally lost and ofcourse, bored.

ReputationRep:
    Music helps me focus. If my room is virtually silent then I am more likely to be distracted by noises from outside my window or throughout the rest of the house/flat. I would say that music without lyrics is better for helping me to concentrate though; I usually listen to film scores .

ReputationRep:
    If it helps you, then it's fine. Sometimes it might help you get a tune in your head, with your revision notes, making it stick better.

ReputationRep:
    Just recently started to do this, well yesterday. haha. And i realised that i actually do remember the stuff i learn! I just feel like what i'm doing is wrong though, as music shouldn't be listened to when revising and that, and maybe ther's the slightest fear due to what people say about revising with NO music- a fear that i won't remember anything?

But, i've been revising economics, doing some questions and i can remember how to distinguish the imf from the wto? And what economic growth is and what economic development is. Also that st lucia is a country which relies on banana exports more than Ecuador because Ecuador exports oil too! I wouldn't have been able to remember anything without music, music just doesn't stress me out

Who else is able to revise with music in ears? when i'm reading, maybe not- but when i'm taking notes or doing practice questions it seems okay.
    tbh I revise with music the best I even sometimes have it on very loud. I remember even for my GCSE's I had to learn some 500 questions and answers for my French and Spanish speaking exams and did it over a couple of days, whilst listening and singing to loud music lol

Do whatever is best for you and as long as it helps, don't worry about how it sounds to other people

ReputationRep:
    I find it helps as I listening to music and studying is doing two things at once so I'm less likely to lose concentration as my brains busy. If that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Classical and soundtracks are your best friend for studying.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I listen to music whilst revising (via note-taking, not reading) and also whilst doing nearly all homework - it goes off if the stuff is really tricky, but that's rare. Despite this, I am a straight A student and one of the top in my school. So no, there is nothing wrong with listening to music whilst revising provided you do actually revise, it's just down to how the mind works.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe when practising and taking notes its easier withj music, because if i was trying to read alot i wouldnt take it in with music, however..its not like i take it in without music lol
    Absolutely Although you should make sure that you're actually thinking about what you're writing and not just copying off the textbook...unless, of course, you're just making notes so that you can read them again later

even if i am singing along with the lyrics sometimes, im still taking in what im revising
    That's pretty impressive! I wish I could do that... Don't let yourself be put down by adults/teachers/parents who tell you that listening to music while revising is terrible - it depends on the situation and often it can make you enjoy revision more so you actually do more revision

ReputationRep:
    I have done so.

It gets me nowhere:moon:

Unless it has no lyrics. Then it's not that bad. But I often dream myself away anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Yayy metal chickkk! What metal bands :P
    Erm all sorts.. metallica, rammstein, dimmu borgir, korpiklaani, children of bodom, nightwish, sonata arctica.. I like so many bands that it might actually take me all day to type all the bands I like :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.