Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Giving blood - your views Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am the 0 negative blood-group, so my blood can be donated to anyone. :cool: Since I found out, I've been trying to donate as much as I can. And the food they give you afterwards :drool:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dirtyoldriver)
    Will definitely give it after I turn 18. I'm O negative which I believe is pretty darn handy so really it would be selfish to keep it to myself

Oh and I'd gladly receive it :yep:
    Where do you live? In England you can start donating at 17

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dirtyoldriver)

Oh and I'd gladly receive it :yep:
    Digits?

ReputationRep:
    I can't but would if I could.

ReputationRep:
    Giving Blood is good ! Receiving Blood inbad situation makes one better

ReputationRep:
    I've given blood once, a few months ago. I fainted because I didn't eat enough beforehand.

I am going to try and go again, as my blood type is B- (Rh) so it's the second rarest, and my blood is needed!

ReputationRep:
    My life was saved because of blood donors so I'm definitely going to give it.

ReputationRep:
    Have done it twice, need to go again soon!

ReputationRep:
    Can't donate for several reasons, but I would were I able to. As for receiving one, of course I would. I don't see why any rational person wouldn't.

Whoever said they'd accept one only if it was the last resort, do you really think that doctors just give out transfusions willy nilly? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Owe my life to them. Consequently I can't give blood myself, but I would if I could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awais590)
    My life was saved because of blood donors so I'm definitely going to give it.
    You can't give blood once you receive it :erm:

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could give blood, but unfortunately I can't. I would urge everyone who can give to do it, though. It's a well worthy cause.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to do it. But I'm only 7 stone, so they think I haven't really got much to spare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NurseTobex)
    You can't give blood once you receive it :erm:
    :confused:

Blood was given to me 14 years ago (I'm 17), so my body has obviously 'refreshed' it's blood supply, flushing the donor blood out through time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whatsinthefox?)
    Gave blood, now switched to donating platelets as I have a high platelet count and can donate more often.
    Giving blood is absolutely essential, when you do it, you save lives. If it comes to a point where I need a transfusion, I'm going to accept one.
    I give blood but have been asked to donate platelets- is it the same process?
    I would accept a donation and possibly have already, I'm not sure lol
    It's easy and fairly quick; I don't know why you wouldn't if you were allowed to be honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awais590)
    :confused:

Blood was given to me 14 years ago (I'm 17), so my body has obviously 'refreshed' it's blood supply, flushing the donor blood out through time?
    https://secure.blood.co.uk/c11_cant.asp

ReputationRep:
    I've done it before and I'll doubtless do it again
    I just have to remember that if I take a certain sort of medicine a week before I shouldn't bother going :p:

The questionnaires they always give us piss me off however :|

It'd probably feel a bit weird, the idea of having someone else's blood inside me D:
    I'd probably be more concerned about what it' mean for my future of giving blood though :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    How can anyone justify not giving blood if they're healthy enough to do so? :dontknow:

Pretty much this. Even worse are the people that won't give permission (we should really, really, as a 'modern' country, have an opt out system) for their organs and other useful parts to be harvested upon death. As dumb as it is I guess I can understand some people being scared to the point of not being able to give blood but as a ****ing corpse you don't feel ****.

ReputationRep:
    Bummer, I forgot that one. I have an appointment booked for the 6th so I suppose I'll have to check, grrrrrrrr.

ReputationRep:

Thanks for the information.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.